P90x

Options
I had a friend just loan me the P90x system, I read through the book, but it repeats countless times that it is a program for people already in good shape.
Have any of you tried it that WERE NOT in good shape to begin with? I have arthritis in my knees and hips....really want to try it, but a bit afraid as well.
Please share with me your experiences....

Replies

• Invictus195
    Options
    **BUMP**

Im interested in these answers too as I have arthritis and a replaced knee.,,
  • jessicapinkfreak
    Options
    yes it work! even if you are not already in great shape! i lost 15 pounds on it. it was really tuff and i almost gave up many times but in the end i dug deep and completed it and am so thankful that i finished! i used to work literally on my butt all day and never did much activities that made me exercise when i started, but now i can run/walk and even swim for some time before i am dying! give it your all and dont give up!
  • The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to arthritis related problems but can share my experience.

I've started P90X two different times. Once 3 years ago and made it 71 days before stopping and am currently doing it and today was day 30.

Before starting both times I was not performing any regular rigorous work outs. The first time I was 20+ lbs over weight and this time I was only a few pounds heavier than I wanted to be. I would classify my starting condition as out of shape. I lead a sedentary lifestyle and on average can go weeks without any real exercise. However, I could still head up the mountains and snow board or snow ski for the day or go out to the lake and wake board. Though in those activities I can't ride as long as I used to and find it easier to injure my weak lower back (I have constant lower back pain).

I'm in my mid 30's. So all that said I am able to do P90X just fine. I think still being somewhat younger makes a difference. But many many people in far far worse shape than me have successfully done P90X. You can modify almost all of the more intense/harder moves and they show you in the videos how to do it.

If you listen do your body and ease into it during phase 1 you can probably do fine. If you have bad knees the one workout to be super careful on is Plyometrics (jump training) which as they mention in the program you can substitute cardio x for.
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was not in good shape when I started P90X last year and was able to complete it. I did modify some of the moves in the beginning to fit my activity level, but stuck with it.

I also know some people who paused the dvd so they had more time to complete the moves/reps. If you have bad knees/joints the only workout that will probably not be good for you is plyo - there is a lot of jumping in it. Other than that go for it! Good luck!
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I posted my results (despite the negative comments) under 70lbs lost. I was in TERRIBLE shape when I started last January. I stuck with it though and it did help me. The nutrition is the key though!! If you need help with it, please let me know. It can be confusing and overwhelming!!
  • mdb543
    Options
    I also just started another round yesterday (working up the motivation to complete plyo today :-/ ) So I'm back at square 1 with the routines :) If you want to add me as a buddy, we can push each other!!
  • mdb543
    Options
    Sorry, this will be my last post lol. I had tore all of my meniscus on my left knee several years ago playing soccer. I had surgery on it and I do struggle as they did a lateral release on my knee cap. From my understanding, my knee cap technically isn't connected anymore.. It does hurt from time to time, but p90x does have modifications that I have had to buckle and do. I have though noticed that working out the past year, my knee feels a lot better, I just have to take it slow when it hurts or I'll be down for a good week. Not sure if that helps at all?
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am in decent shape- and am in week two of a P90X/turbo fire hybrid. P90X always scared me- I thought I was not fit enough and it was too intense. I was SO wrong!

Key factor to know is that you start at your level. If you can only lift 3lbs, start there. If jumping hurts your knees, modify the move so you aren't jumping. I modify sometimes when my knees hurt.

I love this program- I agree you do have to eat enough while doing it!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My husband is currently doing P90X. He was not in good shape either. He is just finishing up 60 days. I don't know the exact amount of weight or inches but somewhere around 20 lbs and 15 inches or so lost. There are several modifications you can do. Just listen to your body and you'll be fine.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have poly-arthritis and am doing P90x for a second round. Every day is a new experience because I have to modify when I am flared up. BUT I press play EVERY damn day and just do my best. I should say that I am heavily medicated and have relatively good control of my arthritis :)

Anybody can do it as long as their mind is in it! Good luck!
  • KimMaplesBaker
    Options
    Sorry, this will be my last post lol. I had tore all of my meniscus on my left knee several years ago playing soccer. I had surgery on it and I do struggle as they did a lateral release on my knee cap. From my understanding, my knee cap technically isn't connected anymore.. It does hurt from time to time, but p90x does have modifications that I have had to buckle and do. I have though noticed that working out the past year, my knee feels a lot better, I just have to take it slow when it hurts or I'll be down for a good week. Not sure if that helps at all?

thank you!!! and yes! i can use all the help I can get.....
  • KimMaplesBaker
    Options
    thanks to all of you for your response.....i believe i am going to give it a shot!....do i do a different workout each day and cycle through, or how does that work?
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    thanks to all of you for your response.....i believe i am going to give it a shot!....do i do a different workout each day and cycle through, or how does that work?

If you google "p90x calendar" you can find the order in which to do the workouts. Feel free to friend me too! I'm a p90x grad and I'm currently on week two of doubling up p90x and insanity :)

I think p90x offers plenty of modifications that you can do to keep from injuring yourself further. I say go for it! Just make sure you listen to your body.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There are 3 different routines/schedules you can follow. The "Lean" routine which has more cardio, the "Classic" and "Doubles" which has you doing 2 DVDs most days. When I started P90X I did the "Lean" routine first because I understood that to be a bit easier than the Classic. After I finished "Lean" I went on to do "Classic". P90X is still my "go-to" workout schedule. Like someone else posted, just Google "P90X Lean Routine" and/or "P90X Classic schedule" and you should be able to print it out.

Do you do Yoga? I ask because Yoga X is a difficult (and very LONG) DVD. I purchased a different Yoga DVD to do on Yoga days because I just couldn't handle it. 2 years later I am a HUGE fan of Yoga, but as a newbie Yoga X can be tough. Tony Horton has a different Yoga DVD called Fountain of Youth Yoga that is 45 min (instead of 90 min) and appropriate for a beginner. I think it's around $20 and money well spent!

Good luck and have fun. Modify as needed, have a great time and "Do your best and forget the rest"! - as Tony says!
  • mets86champs
    mets86champs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 years old, with a repaired left knee and a very bad lower back. I completed P90X classic last fall and I'm currently on day 44 of 90 for my second round of P90X. I credit doing P90X with saving me from having back surgery last year. The weight loss, stronger core and especially the Yoga are the reasons.

The stories you hear about the YogaX are true. It's hard, but don't let that discourage you. Last year I could do only 30 of the 90 minutes to start, but by the end I could do it all.

Depending on what joints are impacted, you might experience difficulty with a few exercises in each DVD. Watch the DVDs before doing it. It will help you know what you can and can't do and also how to modify them. Last year I did all the push ups with push up bars. This time due to a broken wrist in the spring, I needed the bars. It takes all the pressure off the joint.
  • KimMaplesBaker
    Options
    So how do you determine "lean" from "classic", etc.......and how do you guys log your workout on here....do you just do a generic strength training, etc, for the amount of time of the workout?
  • CoryBe
    CoryBe Posts: 13
    Options
    bump. Looking to do this too.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM for everything and just add the calories in that way!