Fitbit versus Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I am curious as to how many calories I burn on average a day. I do have a heart rate monitor. But would any one suggest trying the fitbit instead? what are the benefits of one versus the other?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They're two totally different things. A HRM won't work for recording all day. A fitbit won't work for recording strength or non-step type exercises. If you want an all day burn total though the fitbit is great. It's basically a super fancy pedometer and it syncs w/MFP to give you the extra calories above what MFP already assumes you will burn in a day if you go over. It's also really motivating on a lazy day when you realize you're really low on steps to get you up and moving. You'll likely still need your HRM for non-step related exercises that fitbit doesn't record as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    They're two totally different things. A HRM won't work for recording all day. A fitbit won't work for recording strength or non-step type exercises. If you want an all day burn total though the fitbit is great. It's basically a super fancy pedometer and it syncs w/MFP to give you the extra calories above what MFP already assumes you will burn in a day if you go over. It's also really motivating on a lazy day when you realize you're really low on steps to get you up and moving. You'll likely still need your HRM for non-step related exercises that fitbit doesn't record as well.

Pretty much this!

Fitbit- fancy pedometer. May be slightly innacurate as it does not actually take your heart rate.
    HRM- Not accurate for non-steady aerobic exercise. (aka running, eliptical, etc.) This is not accurate with strength training as well. This is however, pretty darn accurate in counting calories burned during steady-state cardio.

I would personally use a combination of the two if you are considering using the fitbit. You may be able to increase your non-intentional exercise when you aren't actually wearing your hrm.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and Love it. It gives me my calorie burn for the whole day and has a ton of great features... I posted a thread showing one of the reports you can run on all of your info. Let me know if you have any questions.

**I do not work with of for BodyMedia - I just love the product**

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/764410-fitbit-bodymedia-fit-heart-rate-monitors-bodybugg?page=1#posts-11336816
  • frogsnflowers79
    Options
    I love my fitbit just recently got one and I use it daily and you can check your stats for free unlike the bodymedia were you have to pay monthly. I am looking to get a hrm as well tho as that is the only thing fitbit doesn't do. It will defo push you to try to do better with each passing day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I should add - I have both and don't regret either purchase! They both have their uses and have really helped me - I wouldn't give up either.
  • Kipenzi7
    Kipenzi7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this was so helpful! I'm planning to ask for a Fitbit for Christmas and didn't realize it wasn't also an HRM. So the BodyMedia is both an HRM and a pedometer?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this was so helpful! I'm planning to ask for a Fitbit for Christmas and didn't realize it wasn't also an HRM. So the BodyMedia is both an HRM and a pedometer?

Nope, it's not a HRM, slight improvement to a FitBit actually, same motion sensor.

It has a temp sensor to try to guess your difference from calculated metabolism during your sleep, and that is of course the basis for calorie burn on everything during the day.
    It starts with BMR of course, age, weight, height, and adjusts from there. Obviously if that's off (and if overweight it is sadly) then the rest is off.

It has a galvanic skin sensor as on/off switch, so it conserves battery when you take it off. FitBit need to turn off.

It has a monthly fee for the use of it compared to FitBit. It has no sync with MFP.

If you leave it on arm and use a HRM, you can NOT replace the calorie burn for that time span, FitBit you can.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Body Media is not an HRM... but it does calculate calorie burn via Galvanic Skin Response, skin temp, heat flux, and accelerometer - it is also a pedometer. The fitbit is only a pedometer and accelerometer I believe.

I am not sure of the specifics so I will post a link explaining it better.

http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/Sensors

http://www.bodymedia.com/Learn-More/What-is-BodyMedia-FIT
  • COHikerGirl
    COHikerGirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A glorified pedometer isn't sufficient for those of us who engage in activities such as biking, skiing, swimming, and other non-step-based exercise.

Just imagine achieving fitness-device nirvana:
    An upgraded version of the FitBit/Jawbone devices and apps, each of which still record data into MyFitnessPal (and vice-versa) as they do now -- but ALSO incorporating heart-rate monitoring and/or skin temperature/moisture changes so as to calculate more-accurate caloric expenditure from a broader range of activities.

If a good proportion of us called on the FitBit and Jawbone manufacturers to provide such a version, it might happen sooner. It will HAVE to happen, eventually. The technology is there, but hasn't been put together as yet in a single device. Hell, I'd pay more, for that!
  • chelsea801
    Options
    Sooo, which one is more essential to start off with?

Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Sooo, which one is more essential to start off with?

Thanks!

Depends on your goals totally.

That's like asking so is a truck or a car better for me?

A truck, a truck, a truck - everyone yells.

Oh, you have to carry 3 baby seats in the back, you didn't mention that.
  • heybales
    Options
    A glorified pedometer isn't sufficient for those of us who engage in activities such as biking, skiing, swimming, and other non-step-based exercise.

An upgraded version of the FitBit/Jawbone devices and apps, each of which still record data into MyFitnessPal (and vice-versa) as they do now -- but ALSO incorporating heart-rate monitoring and/or skin temperature/moisture changes so as to calculate more-accurate caloric expenditure from a broader range of activities.

If a good proportion of us called on the FitBit and Jawbone manufacturers to provide such a version, it might happen sooner. It will HAVE to happen, eventually. The technology is there, but hasn't been put together as yet in a single device. Hell, I'd pay more, for that!

Getting close. Actually, this is available now.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/polar-loop-firstlook.html

Now Polar just has to be encouraged to work with MFP to get the syncing going. Good 'ole Polar, who has rarely if ever done things a standard default way with anyone.

That could be interesting despite their claim of 3rd party API availability.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM with the chest strap. I have found ti to be accurate for me when using it for running, elliptical, and spinning, but I'm not so sure for strength training.
  • heybales
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM with the chest strap. I have found ti to be accurate for me when using it for running, elliptical, and spinning, but I'm not so sure for strength training.

Sounds like you mean in regards to calorie burn.

If it is for lifting, it's purely coincidental.

As the formula for relating HR to a calorie burn are totally related only to aerobic steady-state exercise, same HR for 2-4 min.
    And strength training is neither steady-state, nor if done correctly aerobic. Should be totally opposite.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Getting close. Actually, this is available now.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/polar-loop-firstlook.html

Now Polar just has to be encouraged to work with MFP to get the syncing going. Good 'ole Polar, who has rarely if ever done things a standard default way with anyone.

That could be interesting despite their claim of 3rd party API availability.

I WANT!!! Thanks for this link. This looks really, really interesting. Just wondering when it will be available in Aus.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

If you swim and cycle as well as walk and run, check out the Misfit Shine. It's calibrated for all those activities. You tell it which you did when and it adjusts.

I don't think they need a HRM and/or skin sensors. I've had both types and found the output to be very similar. The pedometer-style ones are much easier to wear, to me.

Check out reviews of the Polar Loop before buying. I think they've been pretty bad, saying Polar shouldn't have gone to market yet.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    HRM all the way. For the reasons already posted.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    A word of caution on the heart rate monitor. If you are taking a beta blocker, or medication that slows down the heart rate, the HRM is not the one for you. I take one for fast heart rate and blood pressure. My husband takes his because of a heart attack so there are many reasons a person takes it. I love my FitBit one. No it doesn't do anything for the strength training but I don't do to much of that. Should but don't. Good luck with whichever you choose
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Re: Polar Loop - well I've just read through the Amazon reviews ... seems pretty positive ...
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew about the Polar Loop before I purchased my fitbit a few months ago. I would have waited for the Loop. I like that it syncs with your HRM. I know yesterday I burned way more calories mowing the yard than my fitbit told me because even though I was stepping slowly...my HR was way up!