Water making me lightheaded?

Options
I try to get about 4-6 cups of water (somtimes more/less) a day in me. Or, 2 or 3 bottles of water. Same difference, whatever lol.
Anyway, sometimes I swear it's making me feel lightheaded. It's not from lack of calories or low blood sugar or anything like that. I'm always very close, although slightly under my calories for the day and I eat regularly throughout the day. I've just been feeling slightly lightheaded after I drink a cup or so of water. Is there an explanation for this? Am I doing something wrong? Am I a freak?:ohwell: LOL

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You could be dehydrated. 4-6 cups isn't enough. Try to get half your body weight in ounces every day, no excuses. I get whoozy and stuff when I don't get enough water. If you just started drinking more than 4 cups (and that's all you ever had before), than yes, your body could be going "Holy Hannah, what's she doing?!"
    Either way, it's going to take some time for your body to adjust.
  • Honey7o2
    Options
    Yeah, it's way more water than I used to be drinking.
    It also seems to only happen when I drink a quantity of water. Not randomly through the day or anything. Ugh I don't know.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think its prob. not due to the water.

How is the weather where your at? Extream weather changes can make you feel light headed. Like going from a hot room to freezing temps outside. Or if you live in the south we have been having extream changes from snow to 60 degree sunshine with in a couple of days of each other.

Could be allergies, a cold or something along those lines too.
    Do you drink a lot of water when your working out and thats when you notice it? If so it could be your pushing yourself too hard.

and finally are you sure your getting enough cals?

I would say if it continues you might want to get checked out by a doctor
  • stock76
    Options
    So here are a couple of things to think about. I'm not a doctor, and feeling light headed is something you should definitely see your doctor about, especially if it is recurring...

First, blood flow during digestion of any solid or liquid favors digestion organs. This means that organs such as the stomach and intestines receive substantially more blood flow after consuming solids/liquids then they normally do. This in and of itself probably would not cause light headedness, but could complicate other issues such as anemia, undiagnosed heart disorders (atrial fibrillation, patent foramen ovale, PSVT, etc), and many many other problems.

Second, how fast are you drinking the water? People who "chug" water, especially while exercising, interrupt their normal pattern of breathing. A temporary disruption of breathing has the potential to cause momentary light headedness, but is unlikely. Again, this is more likely with some other diagnosed or undiagnosed medical problem.

I'm not saying you should run to the doctor with a laundry list of concerns and possible ailments. I am saying you should go in for a general appointment and explain your symptoms. More likely than not it is something simple, but remember it is your job to advocate for you own health!

And whatever you do, don't use this as an excuse to drink less water. Within reasonable limits, you really can't get to much of it!
  • Honey7o2
    Options
    It happens when I'm just sitting here working and I take a few drinks.
    I live in Las Vegas and the weather has been pretty decently lately.
    Definitely getting enough cals and also eating lots of different things during the day.
    Also taking a vitamin each morning. (Womens 1 A Day Active Metabolism)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I just Googled, and it seems you're not the only one.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Definitely getting enough cals and also eating lots of different things during the day.

Did just want to throw this out there: does the light-headedness usually happen soon after you take your Multi?
  • Honey7o2
    Options

Did just want to throw this out there: does the light-headedness usually happen soon after you take your Multi?

Nope. It's totally random lol.
    I always have stuff that nobody, including medical professionals, can figure out. It's so old lol.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Nope. It's totally random lol.
    I always have stuff that nobody, including medical professionals, can figure out. It's so old lol.

Have you tried keeping a detailed health journal? I know some people/docs would think it's overkill, but people like me (dorks, maybe?) who are into the functions of the body, anatomy, physiology, etc. might think it's a fun little mystery to figure out what's causing those ailments.

I'm not talking like hypochondriac-level obsessiveness and worrying about everything but if you have a specific health issue that's bothering you, having as many details as possible about your diet, symptoms (inc. when, how often, how severely they occur), and lifestyle in general will help a doc figure it out.
  • Cliff_RN
    Options
    The same nerves that go to your heart also go to you digestive tract , the Vagus nerve the "Vagabond" of the body since it wanders all over your body.

Not to scare you, but it could be a serious condition:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1346334/pdf/canmedaj00262-0043.pdf

Maybe even an Esophageal spasm.

Either way, mention it to your doc!

Cliff P
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    This also could be related to your electrolyte balance (sodium/potassium levels). Unlikely at that level of consumption but if you have a low salt intake and a relatively high total fluid intake as well as a recent increase in water consumption this could cause it also.