Replies

• ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    in all seriousness i lost my first 40 by just running and diet but im sure i could have done it with any type of excercise but at the time running was the only thing i new if is tarted i would actually complete each session because being a mile away from home there was no other option to get home and was always to embarassed to walk
  • mariesa00
    mariesa00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit will always yield weight loss. Doing more cardio will burn more calories initially, but adding weight training will help with losing fat and building muscle that burns more calories.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Both.

At my thinnest, I was doing cardio (30-60 minutes) three times a week and lifting 2-3 times a week, usually from around 30 minutes. I eventually put back on a few pounds as I started training for a half marathon, which is not at all conducive with weight loss, then gain back a few more when I moved and was unemployed for about a month and stopped working out all together.

I'm back to running, and I've lost some of the bloat and feel better but let me tell you, I'm no where near as thin or as happy with my body than when I was lifting. Lift and lift heavy. No amount of yoga or pilates or whatever got me the same results as going to the gym and throwing around weights a couple times a week. Even after I put on a few pounds during my half training, I still looked pretty thin and toned.
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    Both + proper nutrition = Success

It also really depends on your preference and does your body respond more to cardio or weight lifting/resistance training. If your body responds to both well, then you've got your answer above of "do both" and combine it with proper nutrition.

Great answer! I do both and love them.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    to lose weight? = cardio (Not ture, if you out eat your burn you will actually gain no matter how much cardio you do)
    to tone up? = strenght training (toning is fat loss to make the muscles visable, which is not what strenght training does, unless you are also in a caloric deficit

ah damn it.............. so are u telling me ill gain back the 63 lbs ive lost ?? .......Im not on a diet, i learned how to eat, doing just cardio, and 10 months later here i am. And if by ´if you out eat your burn you will actually gain no matter how much cardio you do´ you meant eating back exercise calories--- dont worry, I dont.
    Im tired of threads like this where ppl into strenght training try to convince us to start with it. Im doing fine, believe me, I DO NOT need weights to reach my goal, yes i might not have a six pack at the end, i might not be able to see my toned muscles... seriously?, I dont care. Some of you like it, some of us dont. To each their own. Respect please.

No, Im saying it was the caloric deficit that made you lose weight, not the cardio. and if you did strength train on the same deficit you have doing just cardio you would have a lower BF% at every weight during the loss. Thats all, you will have to lose more weight to get to the same BF% as someone that incorporates strength training (heavy lifting)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    dont run like a cardiobunny for 1.5 hours in a gym. Do a good 30second sprints as fast as you can. Do couple of them, that will make your body to produce growth hormone, naturally, which is required for muscle.

Do heavy weightlifting , separate lower/upper body days.

Keep your diet high in protein and fats, and have carbohydrates before you hit the gym.

cardiobunnying for 1.5hrs is useless and noone should spend more than 15hours per month doing cardio.

No one should spend more than 15 hours a month doing cardio huh? I'll be sure to tell that to the next person I see training for a marathon.

As for the OP. A calorie deficit will result in weight loss. However exercise plays an important roll in weight loss as it trains your body to use it's fuel (i.e. food) more effectively. I would say both cardio and strength training are equally important for weight loss.

Cardio will obviously help to create a calorie deficit but it will also improve your athletic ability and improve your heart and lung function.

Weight training (along with an adequate protein intake)will encourage your body to not break down muscle mass while on a calorie deficit. It will also prevent your BMR from droppiing because you are preserving muscle and encouraging your body to use it's fat reserves.

As for the ratio that would depend on how much time you have to train. Given a 1 hour training session I would probably say 20 minutes cardio and 30-40 minutes weight training. Or you can do one hour cardio one day and then do one hour weight training the next.

Edit: Rephrasing
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    You need a deficit to lose weight. The greater the deficit, the greater the loss.
    You ask for maximum weight loss. I interpret that as maximum pace of weight loss. The maximal deficit which can be created by cardio is far greater than the maximal deficit achievable by strength training (strength training being low reps of high resistance), therefore, cardio for maximum weight loss.
  • warrhogg
    Options
    do both Cardio will shed the fat and display the results of the strength training. strength training will continue to have a permanent impact on fat loss as the increase in muscle mass increases your bmr.