Ideal Marathon Training Weight

Options
I ran a marathon back in 2007 and since then have had two kids and put on about 10 pounds. I have been running regularly (mostly 10ks and half marathons) and want to run another marathon next year. I know that before I start training, I need to get down to a reasonable weight to make things easier on my body. Plus, I know that marathon training does not lead to weight loss so I don't want to assume I will lose the excess weight by race day. For the marathoners out there, how did you figure out what your optimal training wait should be?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my marathons, I did lose weight and had to actually stay up on eating enough so I didnt lose too much. If you are already training up to half marathon distance there is no reason to "drop down" in weight before marathon training. The weight loss will all boil down to what you eat more than how far you run. But running more will give you a bit more wiggle room.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    you can lose weight while training for a marathon. I've done it, so it is possible.... The only time I failed to lose weight (but wanted to) while training was when I didn't track my calories and severely under-ate. Once I started eating back what I was using, the weight came off.

Sure, being lighter will make life easier on your body, but if we're talking 10 pounds, not 100, I don't understand the problem - especially since you've been running at 10# over all this time - you won't damage your body any more by comparison than you have running all this time. Are you shooting for an epic PR, or just to finish? 10 pounds, at a pound a week, would come off in 10 weeks (track your calories in vs. out, work the numbers). If you follow an 18-20 week program, you'll know by week 5 if you're headed in the direction you want to be headed.

I'd just do it. If you wait until all conditions are perfect, you may never get there.
  • ndrenee
    ndrenee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I just want to make sure I am optimal condition before I start. I wasn't 100% committed the last time I trained and really want to be all in this time.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    dude, you trained and finished without being 100% committed? you are insane - in a very good way ;)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want to be somewhere in the athletic BF% zone so <=18% for women and <=12% for men. Being there will reduce the chance of injury and overall make training a whole lot easier. However, if you are above that figure that is no reason not do do it anyway. Most people running are above that - they would just run faster if they lost some weight.
  • ndrenee
    Options
    ejwme, I finished, I guess that's the important part! But the last 6 miles were brutal. Trying to avoid puking at the finish this time :-).

And I will have to get my BF% checked (its been awhile). I definitely feel fitter than I have been in a long time so the weight might not be as much of an impact as I thought.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I never really lose weight while training for a marathon.....a half maybe...full never until the taper (weird I know).

Anyway, for me, it is about 20-22% body fat (I'm a chick). I'm right now at 23% and change and would like to drop about 8 lbs for I start training for my next one which is in March.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ten pounds either way is pretty small number to worry about. People finish marathons all the time at 20, 30, even 50 pounds above "ideal" weight. A few months ago Runner's World had an article about by Peter Sagal where he talks about training for a new PR in the Chicago Marathon and managing to cut nearly 20 minutes off his time without losing any weight (He blames it on "segmented donuts"... donuts that you divide into quarters so you don't eat the whole thing and then wind up eating all four quarters). obviously you'll do a bit better at a bit lower weight, but you can certainly train to finish, and finish strong at your current weight.

That said, you can also eat a small deficit for the first part of your program and lose a few pounds before the distances start getting really insane.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    ten pounds either way is pretty small number to worry about. People finish marathons all the time at 20, 30, even 50 pounds above "ideal" weight. A few months ago Runner's World had an article about by Peter Sagal where he talks about training for a new PR in the Chicago Marathon and managing to cut nearly 20 minutes off his time without losing any weight (He blames it on "segmented donuts"... donuts that you divide into quarters so you don't eat the whole thing and then wind up eating all four quarters). obviously you'll do a bit better at a bit lower weight, but you can certainly train to finish, and finish strong at your current weight.

I would disagree. The impact of weight on performance can be significant. General rule of thumb is for every 2 lbs lost, you gain about 1:30 - 2:00 min on your marathon time. For 10 lbs, that is close to 10 min. If the weight of your shoes has an impact on your work/effort over 26.2 miles, why would you assume your body weight wouldn't?
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I would disagree. The impact of weight on performance can be significant. General rule of thumb is for every 2 lbs lost, you gain about 1:30 - 2:00 min on your marathon time. For 10 lbs, that is close to 10 min. If the weight of your shoes has an impact on your work/effort over 26.2 miles, why would you assume your body weight wouldn't?

I don't get the impression she's going for a world record here. I did say she'd do better at a lower weight, but if her main goal is to finish, at a decent time, and not throw up at the end, then ten pounds is not going to have a major impact. Sure, when you're min-maxing to cut those last three minutes off your PR for a Boston Qualify; lose the ten pounds and it will help. When you're training to do your first marathon in years and you're basically aiming for a non-embarrassing finish, ten pounds isn't going to make or break (or probably dramatically effect) your effort.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I don't get the impression she's going for a world record here. I did say she'd do better at a lower weight, but if her main goal is to finish, at a decent time, and not throw up at the end, then ten pounds is not going to have a major impact. Sure, when you're min-maxing to cut those last three minutes off your PR for a Boston Qualify; lose the ten pounds and it will help. When you're training to do your first marathon in years and you're basically aiming for a non-embarrassing finish, ten pounds isn't going to make or break (or probably dramatically effect) your effort.
    I agree. No reason to delay training unless you are having pain in the joints due to excess weight as you run.

OP, I have lost weight training for a marathon. You are right that you can't assume the training will automatically burn the extra weight off (some people find it makes them hungry and so they eat more), but you certainly can lose while training. If you log your intake and exercise and eat at a deficit, it will come off.
  • ndrenee
    Options
    No BQ time for me. I am just looking to run the full 26.2 and not feel like I am going to die at Mile 19. Time is just a bonus. I know the Wall will happen but I want to do anything I can to prevent it. I am thinking of doing Grandma's in June so that puts me starting to train in February. I have two halves on the schedule before then and I think if I just log calories on here, I can get down the 10 pounds. We shall see.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--11903-0,00.html#

You may find that article of interest. Obviously a generalization, but if you care about time/weight effects at all it can be pretty good read.

From a pure training standpoint, I noticed the difference when I ran my second and was 10 pounds lighter. Obviously fitness was part of that, but I also credit some of the lessened "heavy legs" to the weight itself. My training program was amped up from the first, but recovery from training runs was much easier. Irony is i hit the wall hard my second marathon, but that was because I went down in a blaze of glory going for a goal time. Still set a monster PR, but the last 4 miles were an new experience I'd prefer not to repeat. My 50 milers were easier than that second marathon...