Crap in Food

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy *kitten*, what a ride!”

Have fun eating your organic cardboard.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OK PEOPLE, EVERYTHING IS IN MODERATION. STICK TO THE SERVING SIZE. IT'S NOT MEANT TO EAT THE WHOLE BOX IN ONE SITTING.

PROS AND CONS THAT'S HOW YOU HAVE TO SEE IT.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    But in addition to my previous post, if anyone does have anything showing that diacetyl is indeed harmul at reasonable doses, please PM it to me or post here. I'm not aware of anything but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Nobody said that popcorn contributes to alzheimers. A recent study has found that diacetyl, an ingredient in popcorn responsible for its buttery flavor and smell, may be linked to Alzheimer’s disease, UPI.com reported.

The scientists said they focused on the substance, because it has already been associated with respiratory and other health issues in workers at microwave popcorn and food-flavoring factories. According to UPI.com, diacetyl is used in other products such as margarines, snacks and candies, baked goods and in some beers and chardonnay wine.

Robert Vince, director of the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota and the study’s lead author, said diacetyl is similar in structure to another substance that aids the clumping of beta-amyloid proteins in the brain – a significant indicator of Alzheimer’s.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/08/popcorn-ingredient-found-to-be-linked-with-alzheimer/#ixzz28pQFOlgl
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I prepare almost all my food from scratch these days. I also do the bulk of my shopping from Trader Joe's, which doesn't use GMO, preservatives, or artificial flavors in their products either. If I do decide to drink a soda, I go for regular to avoid artificial sweeteners, one sweetened with cane sugar if possible. I try to snack on fruits and veggies over chips and candy. If I go eat something prepackage, I check the ingredients and try to opt for something as natural as possible. Granola bars are the one thing I keep in my diet that I would like to ditch (but they're so damn convenient!) but I try to stick with bars that are natural and free of things like HFCS. Clif Bar, Nature's Valley, Luna Bar, and Larabars are all excellent if I need an on the go snack.

Even organic food runs a risk. Have you not heard about the recall on Trader Joe's peanut butter from the recent salmonella outbreak?

As long as the salmonella is natural with no artificial sweeteners, it's totally safe!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Nobody said that popcorn contributes to alzheimers. A recent study has found that diacetyl, an ingredient in popcorn responsible for its buttery flavor and smell, may be linked to Alzheimer’s disease, UPI.com reported.

The scientists said they focused on the substance, because it has already been associated with respiratory and other health issues in workers at microwave popcorn and food-flavoring factories. According to UPI.com, diacetyl is used in other products such as margarines, snacks and candies, baked goods and in some beers and chardonnay wine.

Robert Vince, director of the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota and the study’s lead author, said diacetyl is similar in structure to another substance that aids the clumping of beta-amyloid proteins in the brain – a significant indicator of Alzheimer’s.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/08/popcorn-ingredient-found-to-be-linked-with-alzheimer/#ixzz28pQFOlgl

You should also read my previous post and consider that the concentrations one would ingest by working 8+ hour shifts in a factory that produces this substance, is likely higher than the dose at which one would eat at the movies or in their home.

All kinds of things are harmful at high concentrations and many of these things are perfectly harmless at low doses.

EDIT: And as far as your own food habits, you do what you need to do obviously. I'm just bringing the idea of dosage and context to the forefront because when you neglect to consider it you can end up living a miserable and alarmist life by eliminating things out of fear.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Would it be inappropriate to pop some popcorn for this thread??
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, you did the research, backed up the claim and still give Dr. Oz the credit for this "discovery"? :huh:

Wasn't this information out there all the time? All Dr. Oz does is bring half truths and research spin to the TV crowd.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    How does popcorn contribute to Alzheimers? It's one of my favourite snacks, so I need some hard evidence before I abandon it!

I used to know, but I forgot.. guess I have been eating too much popcorn!!! LOL!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that being alive puts you at 100% risk of death.

:heart:
    :heart: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :heart:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Ah, thanks for that clarification. So it's artificial butter rather than popcorn that is linked to Alzheimers. The popcorn I eat has no artificial butter added to it - it's simply popcorn. I pop it in a pan, and add my own salt and butter (real butter - it's much nicer than artificial butter!). You could also do that, and then you'd still get the popcorn you love without any links to Alzheimers.

There are lots of simple ways to help prevent Alzheimers. See here: http://jeancarper.com/inside-book/table-of-contents/
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    xgJZC.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Would it be inappropriate to pop some popcorn for this thread??

345fbdd4_Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any foods that have more than 2 vowels in them

You must have a very strict diet. Wouldn't want to eat anything with those dangerous, dangerous vowels:

Bananas (3 vowels)
    Broccoli (3)
    Tomatoes (4)
    Lettuce (3)
    Cauliflower (5! No wonder it tastes so bad)
    Cabbage (3)
    Peanuts (3)

LOL, WOW!!!!

I eat a very clean lifestyle, but I haven't gotten this strict. Even though I don't eat things in packages, boxes, or frozen.
  • ClammyCupcake
    ClammyCupcake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really creeped out, start researcheing genetically modified food and what is being learned about those. I am getting pickier and pickier about my food choices.

Oh my god yes, don't get me started on GMOs! I try to avoid corn and soy, and anything with corn syrup. makes me sick thinking about what we eat. California is currently trying to pass Prop 34 I think its called, calling for labeling of GMOs. Of course its being vehemently shut down by the food industry and Monsanto...
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any foods that have more than 2 vowels in them

You must have a very strict diet. Wouldn't want to eat anything with those dangerous, dangerous vowels:

Bananas (3 vowels)
    Broccoli (3)
    Tomatoes (4)
    Lettuce (3)
    Cauliflower (5! No wonder it tastes so bad)
    Cabbage (3)
    Peanuts (3)

LOL, WOW!!!!

I eat a very clean lifestyle, but I haven't gotten this strict. Even though I don't eat things in packages, boxes, or frozen.

So, you only eat what you raise and kill or grow yourself?
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more natural foods and refrain from things I'd need a Chemistry degree to pronounce. I quit diet Coke about 6 months ago; Zevia makes a calorie-free soda with 100% stevia (as opposed to Blue-Sky Free (uses Truvia - Truvia adds other ingredients to their sweetener) that tastes good and doesn't have the other additives products. Occasionally I'll drink a sugar soda.

To make your own microwave popcorn without all the crap, put 2 tbsp of kernels in a lunch sack, fold the top 3-4 times, and zap it old school - it's done when it takes more than a second between pops. As a bonus, it's uber-cheap that way. Spend the extra savings to ensure you're eating non-GMO kernels.

I'm all about eating real food: whole eggs, butter, olive oil, non-GMO veggies. GMOs are outlawed in over 30 European countries. If you have access to MEDLINE, do a search on GMO studies outside of the United States. Interesting information Monsanto is covering up in the United States.

All this said, I've noticed that chemicals & GMOs tend to be hot button subjects on MFP. Expect a few people to ridicule you and expect some to be extremist in their defense of foregoing those things in their own diets, most people fall somewhere inbetween. I figure we're all on MFP to try to make more concious decisions about what we are putting in our bodies; good for you for doing what you can to learn more about how these things affect your health.
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    Actually the post was intended to get educated ideas about cleaning up my diet. Thank-you for all your great suggestions and I definitely will check out Michael Pollens and his ideas. I knew this post would cause controversy and that is a good thing. It gets people thinking about what they are doing to their beautiful bodies. I quit smoking cold turkey last January and have lost 23 pounds. It all happened because I read the posts, take what I think to be true and incorporate it into my life. Bless you All!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more natural foods and refrain from things I'd need a Chemistry degree to pronounce. I quit diet Coke about 6 months ago; Zevia makes a calorie-free soda with 100% stevia (as opposed to Blue-Sky Free (uses Truvia - Truvia adds other ingredients to their sweetener) that tastes good and doesn't have the other additives products. Occasionally I'll drink a sugar soda.

To make your own microwave popcorn without all the crap, put 2 tbsp of kernels in a lunch sack, fold the top 3-4 times, and zap it old school - it's done when it takes more than a second between pops. As a bonus, it's uber-cheap that way. Spend the extra savings to ensure you're eating non-GMO kernels.

I'm all about eating real food: whole eggs, butter, olive oil, non-GMO veggies. GMOs are outlawed in over 30 European countries. If you have access to MEDLINE, do a search on GMO studies outside of the United States. Interesting information Monsanto is covering up in the United States.

All this said, I've noticed that chemicals & GMOs tend to be hot button subjects on MFP. Expect a few people to ridicule you and expect some to be extremist in their defense of foregoing those things in their own diets, most people fall somewhere inbetween. I figure we're all on MFP to try to make more concious decisions about what we are putting in our bodies; good for you for doing what you can to learn more about how these things affect your health.

Thanks for the great ideas!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    Actually the post was intended to get educated ideas about cleaning up my diet. Thank-you for all your great suggestions and I definitely will check out Michael Pollens and his ideas. I knew this post would cause controversy and that is a good thing. It gets people thinking about what they are doing to their beautiful bodies. I quit smoking cold turkey last January and have lost 23 pounds. It all happened because I read the posts, take what I think to be true and incorporate it into my life. Bless you All!
    Oh and thanks for your time!