Help me get over my food obsession?

Options
Okay so all I think about all day long is food. I even dream about it. And I get all freaked out when I wake up, thinking I had eaten.
I draw food on my classwork, I save pictures of it on my computer, and I write down lists of all the foods I wish I could eat.
I feel like I have food issues. I wish I could eat all these foods but I know that I can't. And it sucks.
Any advice on helping me to get over this obsession?

Replies

• Really your best bet would be to see a professional if at all possible. Sometimes it can take quite a bit of therapy to get back in a healthy mindset. The best advice besides that I can give is from Portia de Rossi's book "Unbearable Lightness"- She finally got over her food obsession by not labeling food as "good" or "bad" and stopped limiting herself. After all, if you know that you can have a little icecream, and that if you wanted you could have it again tomorrow, you wouldn't end up binging on it- which would reduce the guilt from eating it. Unfortunately disordered thinking skews perceptions and disordered eating messes with the metabolism, but if you work through the initial little bit of weight gain and resuming a normal diet of at least 1200 calories the food obsession would slowly dissipate, as well as keep your body at a certain weight instead of yoyoing back and forth just because you ate Z more calories than your metabolism could handle. >_< Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, but it truly the only thing that works to make this mindset less is Recovery and eating a balanced diet.
  • JohnnyKitty
    JohnnyKitty Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Really your best bet would be to see a professional if at all possible. Sometimes it can take quite a bit of therapy to get back in a healthy mindset. The best advice besides that I can give is from Portia de Rossi's book "Unbearable Lightness"- She finally got over her food obsession by not labeling food as "good" or "bad" and stopped limiting herself. After all, if you know that you can have a little icecream, and that if you wanted you could have it again tomorrow, you wouldn't end up binging on it- which would reduce the guilt from eating it. Unfortunately disordered thinking skews perceptions and disordered eating messes with the metabolism, but if you work through the initial little bit of weight gain and resuming a normal diet of at least 1200 calories the food obsession would slowly dissipate, as well as keep your body at a certain weight instead of yoyoing back and forth just because you ate Z more calories than your metabolism could handle. >_< Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, but it truly the only thing that works to make this mindset less is Recovery and eating a balanced diet.

sgh... fml