Foam Roller

Options
Has anyone tried one of those foam rollers for massaging and soothing sore muscles? I also heard from a friend of mine that it's great to do everyday as a subsitute for stretching. He has been able to run/jog on 3-4 consecutive days since he has been doing the foam roller. Before using the foam roller he could never run/jog 2 days in a row. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Should be in every runner's tool bag.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I use a piece of 4" PVC. Seriously. It feels great.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Yep its brilliant, been a godsend on sorting my calf out!

Also use the Power Plate at the gym as a massage on my calfs sometimes, works effectively.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT.
    I use it with my calves and hips, (along with a rolling pin from the kitchen)

and for my upper body tension. Haven't thrown my neck out since I got one (2+ years ago).
  • tad10301030
    tad10301030 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is my best friend! If you have a tight IT band it hurts like b**ch but then feels oh so good!
  • grey_leopard
    Options
    Those are great to use in addition to your workout and stretching. Essentially they are helping you release tightness in muscles.... like getting a good massage. Be cautious, you don't wanna hurt yourself.

I use them all the time at the gym especially on my quads and my lower back. Usually good after the workout-- when your muscles are all sore and plenty warmed up and ready to roll out.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have one-- use it for my upper and lower back. Awesome!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Awesome tool. Great for loosening an IT band that you never knew was tight!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use mine after every run but in addition to stretching, not as a substitute (but then I'm old.......:laugh: )
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    They're not bad but I prefer the Rumble Roller, it's just that much better IMO. :)
  • lyfurlong
    lyfurlong Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Purchased one to help me with knee pain encountered while running ( which was actually caused by issues with my IT band) few months back. Now I still use it regularly. i find when i don't the pain sometimes returns.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I use a piece of 4" PVC. Seriously. It feels great.

If it feels great while using, that's news to everyone I know. lol. Hurts like a son of a gun depending on your issues while using it but makes it feel great later for sure, lol.

Also, the OP could look into a Massage Stick which is kind of similar but I like better for certain things.