MEXICAN FOOD!?

Options

Replies

• KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Living in Houston, we have Mexican A LOT here. I usually do beef, chicken, or pork...or all of the above...fajitas and mostly eat the meat, guacamole, and charro beans. The refried beans are usually made with lard so I avoid that, same with the tortillas. And chips...those are my downfall...
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Carnitas platter (carnitas, rice and beans)
    Pollo Asado (grilled chicken, rice, and beans)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I have fajitas and tell them not to bring you the "fixings". If they aren't there, I'm not tempted to eat them. I just eat the meat and veggies.
    Smart! I agree that fajitas are a pretty safe bet, but the cheese and sour cream can really trip you up!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Fajitas...or soft chicken tacos...and I skip the tortillas. I'll only eat about half of the meal and rice and beans that they serve and take the rest home.
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Living in Houston, we have Mexican A LOT here. I usually do beef, chicken, or pork...or all of the above...fajitas and mostly eat the meat, guacamole, and charro beans. The refried beans are usually made with lard so I avoid that, same with the tortillas. And chips...those are my downfall...

I live in Corpus... We have a lot here too. I'll for sure go with chicken. NO refried beans... CHECK.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Steak Ranchero, shrimp fajita, 7 sea soup, pozole, tortas, shrimp cocktail, heck just about anything Mexican!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I typically order the beef or chicken fajitas and ask for just the skillet - no sides or tortillas or fixings. The sodium will still get you. Or you can just wing it for a night, go big, log it and let it all average out over the week.
  • Clumz27
    Options
    Steak Ranchero, shrimp fajita, 7 sea soup, pozole, tortas, shrimp cocktail, heck just about anything Mexican!

MMMM.... Steak Ranchero. Like!!
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    whatchya got left for calories for the day?
    if it works into your cals and macros, then have what you want.
    going over a little bit aint gonna kill ya. make up for it the rest of the week with exercise and deficit. *shrug*

ETA: pssssst...you can ignore sodium unless you have blood pressure issues.

I second this wiseness!
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this is available but if you like shrimp, avocado, and tomato, a shrimp cocktail is one of my favorite meals and it won't kill ya too bad on the calories, you might want to look it up on the database first to see how much you want to eat...
    Enjoy!
  • Clumz27
    Options
    going over a little bit aint gonna kill ya. make up for it the rest of the week with exercise and deficit. *shrug*

I second this wiseness!

• nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    skip the rice, and beef. maybe opt for the fish. beans will fill you up, pile on the salsa, be leary of the guacomle and get something without cheese,but excluding cheese is kind of like torture with mexican food. See if you can go onlie before hand, and pull up the menu, to do a calorie count. probably not possible. Eat half. take half home. Beans will be key in feeling fuller. Mexican beans are awesome!
  • Clumz27
    Options
    skip the rice, and beef. maybe opt for the fish. beans will fill you up, pile on the salsa, be leary of the guacomle and get something without cheese,but excluding cheese is kind of like torture with mexican food. See if you can go onlie before hand, and pull up the menu, to do a calorie count. probably not possible. Eat half. take half home. Beans will be key in feeling fuller. Mexican beans are awesome!

Thanks for the input! GHave some really good ideas now. :)

I went online to check out the menu, but it's not available. Booooo!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

I second this wiseness!

so give yourself a tuesday bonus of 500cals. you should be able to enjoy a nice meal for 1074. take it away from tomorrow, or run an extra mile for a few days. win/win/win
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    side of black beans, side of corn tortillas (2), side of guac and dump some salsa on. It's the margaritas that kill me. LOL!!
  • Clumz27
    Options

HMMMM... That's ok? Of course it's ok. Ok! I'll try not to go tooooo overboard. :) Thanks!!

I second this wiseness!

so give yourself a tuesday bonus of 500cals. you should be able to enjoy a nice meal for 1074. take it away from tomorrow, or run an extra mile for a few days. win/win/win
  • Clumz27
    Options
    Maragritas... Yep.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    margaritas can have 500+ each....so I've been getting Corona Light instead with a lime....
  • Clumz27
    Options
    margaritas can have 500+ each....so I've been getting Corona Light instead with a lime....

500?! Wow. What a buzz kill... Literally. Lol. That's good to know.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos, ceviche, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken... go heavy on the pico de gallo and light on the cheese & sour cream, whatever you get.

A nice spritz of fresh lime juice does wonders for adding flavor without sodium or calories.

And I second the Corona Light instead of margaritas, unless they have "skinny margaritas" on the menu.