Frozen Food

Options
Hello all!! :smile:

I buy lean cuisine and smart ones all the time. I never noticed how much sodium is in them. The same with Kashi and Healthy choice. Can anyone recommend frozen meals that don't have high sodium content? Also, being a busy Mom. I usually want something quick to eat. What's a good lunch or dinner choice?

Replies

• beebop85
    beebop85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yeah thats the only down side to a ready meal! a really quick tasty and low calorie lunch/dinner for me would be a mackerel fillet, you can microwave them in 3 mins and there yummy! have that with a ready prepared salad and theres your meal in 3 mins flat. Enjoy! x
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    Try buying frozen veg, brocolli, cabbage etc as this has no salt but in a pan of water is ready in5 mins. Then have some protein with it that cooks quickly, like grilled chicken, grilled fish etc and you have a healthy meal inminutes. Also you could make batches of your favorite foods, then freeze them in separate portions for when you need meals in a hurry.
    It can be hard to eat healthy in a hurry but I find being organised helps, getting out frozen things on the morning so they take less time to cook in the evening etc. Hope that helps :)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Maybe try making a few of your own ready meals in containers to freeze in individual sized containers that include protein and veggies and such. I have never seen a low sodium frozen dinner so thats what I suggest. This way you are controlling what goes in your meal as well.
  • crlyn324
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. Im a busy working mom and dont have time to cook. Breakfast is easy...I put Yoplait fat free yogurt in the freezer and just grab it on my way to work. It takes time to eat and its yummy. You can also pair that with a nutri grain on TLC breakfast bar. Lunch, you can do soup, they now have low sodium soup. Fruit is a great addition. At the beggining of the week or when you haver time, buy a bunch of fruit and cut it up into a fruit salad and then take from that all week.
    Dinner....Well, you probably can afford a smart ones since the rest of the day was low sodium or you can buy Purdue single pack of chicken and cook it up with some vegetables to make a stir fry. oh yea, always have a water thermos with you and drink, drink, drink.
    The 100 calorie snacks are great too.
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great posts! Great ideas!

When you cut up fruit ahead of time, keep each fruit in a separate container to keep them from getting mushy too quickly. Splash lemon juice on pears and apples to prevent browning. In my experience, avoid cutting melons and bananas in advance as they don't take well to the air exposure at all.

Same goes for salads! Every three days or so, finely chop cabbage, julienne-cut carrots and celery, rinse cherry tomatoes, cut cauliflower or broccoli in small chunks, and store chopped red onion in water, storing each in a separate container. Toss those together whenever you are ready for a salad.

One more idea: if you watch two hours of continuous television a week, you have time to prepare soups and casseroles to freeze for the week. The only question remains whether you have enough tupperware!
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas. I bought frozen turkey burgers that I thought would be great with steamed veggies. I am cutting out bread. That's gonna be tough but worth it.