Aiming to improve mile time?

Options
I've just started running. Today was the first time I ever managed to do a mile straight without stopping. It took me about 12.5 minutes. I'm rather short (5'4), does anyone have an idea what would be a good goal to set for improvement? (other than just improving by anything)

Replies

• jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
    I can run a single mile in 8:34
    I can run 7 miles at 11:29 per mile

So for one mile 8:30 for a lot of miles in a row just aim for distance and time will come
    I'm 5'3
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    That is great! Keep it up! I would say the best goal would be to make some running friends. Join a group and run with the group once a week or more. Aim to run at least three days each week.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My only current goal is to make it up to 5k (3.1 miles) for a race this spring. It's a long way off, but I'd rather get started at it earlier.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Being a new runner, just slowly increase your distance. Speed will come naturally. I started C25K in January, and ran my first half marathon last month. Now, running 3 miles is nothing! I can now do a mile in maybe 8:30, and 3 miles at around 9 min per mile. Probably faster in a race. My long run pace is 11:20 per mile or so. It is those long, slow runs that have really increased my fitness and my ability to run faster in the short distances. The first mile I ran was probably a similar pace to yours.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Being a new runner, just slowly increase your distance. Speed will come naturally. I started C25K in January, and ran my first half marathon last month. Now, running 3 miles is nothing! I can now do a mile in maybe 8:30, and 3 miles at around 9 min per mile. Probably faster in a race. My long run pace is 11:20 per mile or so. It is those long, slow runs that have really increased my fitness and my ability to run faster in the short distances. The first mile I ran was probably a similar pace to yours.

This is actually very reassuring and definitely what I needed to hear. :) Thanks
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've just started running. Today was the first time I ever managed to do a mile straight without stopping. It took me about 12.5 minutes. I'm rather short (5'4), does anyone have an idea what would be a good goal to set for improvement? (other than just improving by anything)

Welcome to the runners club, it's a very inclusive group!

Rather than worrying too much about speed I'd suggest you focus on improving endurance .
  • Converse00
    Converse00 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", go short girls!! The very 1st time that I ran 1 mile was in 12 minutes and 37 seconds. But, now I can run 1 mile in 10 minutes and 24 seconds. I want to try and run the mile in 10 minutes and eventually 9 minutes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    work on your endurance. speed will come. start increasing the distance or time of your runs, by about 10% every week.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    distance first, then time

work up to a longer run, and then you'll be able to do a faster single-mile time

I can now do about a 9:30 mile, 20 minute 2-mile, and 33 minute 5k after working up to the first mile slowly

I of course am working to drop those times, and increase my distance
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Being a new runner, just slowly increase your distance. Speed will come naturally.

Exactly. I've just been increasing distance gradually and I find that I run my workouts faster and faster. I'm up to just over 4 miles for a morning run and I'm just over a 9:00 mile for all 4 miles.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I started off very slow. I am now at about 10 min mile pace and I'm 5'3" Just keep at it. What helped me was doubling the length, I was trying to improve my 1.5 run so I did 3 miles at a time. It's tough but that's how ya do it! Keep it up!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yeah, run longer. Do C25K, and the B210K and then do a half marathon. Longer distances will increase your speeds for the shorter runs.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I found intervals helped me improve my mile time. Im a relatively big dude too. 5'10, 306lbs. I started at 354lbs and it took me like 22 minutes to get a mile in. I slowly worked in speeding up and I've cut my mile down from 22 mins to 11 minutes. Intervals worked for me.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Vary your distances, speeds and courses.

By improving your overall fitness you will see benefits in your times.

I also do a lot of hills (both up and down) in my normal run - this means that for races where the course is often flat I get an added boost.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mainly what the others have said, increase distances, increase time spent running (longer runs), intervals, fartleks, etc.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Being a new runner, just slowly increase your distance. Speed will come naturally.
    YES, this.
    Your height will not limit you in any way, btw. Many professional runners are very short (and some are tall); it doesn't seem to matter much. I am 5'2" and started off at your speed or a little slower I think, 15 years ago, and now I can run under 7 minutes for a mile. Increase your mileage slowly to avoid injury, be patient, and it will get easier and easier.