Anti inflammatory diet - have you tried it?

Options
Hi,

I have recently read about the role that inflammation plays in a lot of medical conditions and was thinking of trying an anti inflammatory diet.

Has anyone tried this and did you notice any benefits?

I would be grateful for any tips on how to get started.

Thanks,

Claire

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    My sister has RA and she has to be on it. I really don't think it is a good idea unless it is medically supervised. Also it is expensive.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Nevering even heard of it... googling it now....
  • tonyggd
    tonyggd Posts: 23
    Options
    I tried if to help with psoriasis, end up having nor dairy or wheat products which makes it difficult to follow and expensive. I still try and avoid dairy and wheat but do have some. As far as helping my psoriasis, I saw no effect on it.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    OK apologies I read it wrong! lol.. we are all human :blushing:
  • leanne5025
    leanne5025 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The fact that anti-inflammatories irritate the stomach and have to be taken with or after food I cannot see it being good for you!

Taking them on an empty stomach can cause stomach ulcers, certainly not a diet I would ever try

:noway:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The fact that anti-inflammatories irritate the stomach and have to be taken with or after food I cannot see it being good for you!

Taking them on an empty stomach can cause stomach ulcers, certainly not a diet I would ever try

I'm hoping this is sarcasm......
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    nurtritiondata.com lists the inflammatory status of a lot of foods with a number, with the goal being to be end up being "positive" for the day.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    There is a women in our area (Pacific Northwest) that has developed one that seems to really help those who go on it. She is a nutritionist/researcher. She developed it for herself to solve her own issues. It isn't expensive but she suggests you go to her lectures if you can. My sister and a friend have tried it and it has helped weight and other health issues for both of them. It isn't really for weight loss but those who need to seem to lose. My sister got me her book for my birthday and I feel it would help me. In a sense it is a process more than a diet. You get off of the main culprits that people can have problems with for 2 weeks then after that you add one thing at a time back in. It turns out if you do have a problem with a food it is very evident very quickly once you have been away from it so it doesn't take long to see if you have a problem with something. You then can add back another food. At the end of the process you find out what to avoid and a sense of what reaction your body tends to have with it. If you just try taking something out of your diet it doesn't work well because there may be more than one food that is causing issues. So that is why you get off all the main possible problem foods for the 1st 2 weeks. By the end you still need to avoid certain biggys like sugar but she gives you guidelines for having these on a limited basis. I have limited my sugar but not completely stopped it so no, I haven't tried it. It is well known in our area but not sure how well known her diet is outside. It is called the Abascal or to quiet inflammation diet.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I am interested in knowing others experience on it too. I started it a couple of weeks ago but am finding it hard to stay away from animal products. For the most part I have been sticking with it. I don't notice a difference as of yet. I can't wait until my next dr appt in 2.5 months to see if my CRP and ESR's have declined.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was on it,, it helped me lose weight without having to count calories... Never felt so good in my life. It is a fantastic diet if you are referring to the dr weil diet with the anti inflammatory period. The only reason I am not on it now is that you really have to make every meal from scratch, non-processed foods and I just couldnt keep up with all the cooking and dish washing. I know that we shouldn't be eating any processed foods but that is not a reality for most people. Now I am doing a balance of home cooked to processed foods and I am doing well. If you do have the time to cook all your meals from scratch....and all the dish washing. That goes along with it this is a fantastic diet. Good luck and let us know how you do.
  • C1aire80
    C1aire80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I will certainly have a look at the websites mentioned.

I have been reading the Inflammation Syndrome by Jack Challum. The concept appears to be similar to the Dr Weil food pyramid previously mentioned.

I have had some health issues this year and my weight loss has been stopped in its track. I have actually put weight on largely due to enforced inactivity.

As the diet seems very healthy anyway (based on natural whole foods such as fruit and veg, fish, poultry, etc) figured that it would still be beneficial to my health even if it doesn't reduce inflammation. I think i would still lose some weight as I would be forced to stop eating all the junk food I have been having lately.