Diet Backsliding

Options
I don't know what to do. I just can't put up with logging anymore since this weekend, and I want to eat whatever I want. I know I shouldn't, but I have been since this weekend. I don't want to reverse all the work I've done, but this constant counting and figuring out what will fit into my diet, instead of what I want to eat, seems so TEDIOUS at times.

I've also completely lost the feeling for all the reasons I started this. The reasons are still there, but I think the sudden winter cold snap has slapped me into my usual SAD. I bought mostly healthy groceries, but have binged on frozen yogurt, IHOP, a steak sandwich from a fast food place over the course of the past four days. Can anyone help me? Say some words, help get me through this? Look, I know I don't want diabetes and heart disease. I know I don't want it to be hard to f'ing climb stairs. There has to be some kind of profound thought out there that isn't a cliche. If you have something like, remotely different from listing the USUAL reasons I should keep going, then I would like to hear that.

In the meantime, I will be taking a bunch of b vitamins.

Replies

• squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh, and, I haven't gained from this, thankfully. I guess because I have been eating junk in lieu of other food.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Blaming anything other than your own poor choices is a cop out.

That being said, a few days isn't enough to derail you unless you want it to. So suck it up and get back to tracking.
  • squirmmonster
    Options

That being said, a few days isn't enough to derail you unless you want it to. So suck it up and get back to tracking.

I know you meant well, and I usually feel that way too, but this is really not the kind of thing that is going to help ANYONE who's being stricken by seasonal affective disorder. It's a form of depression. And depression makes you want to do nothing at all. Like everything is pointless. Sorry, if this was all I needed, I could've said it to myself.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I know you meant well, and I usually feel that way too, but this is really not the kind of thing that is going to help ANYONE who's being stricken by seasonal affective disorder. It's a form of depression. And depression makes you want to do nothing at all. Like everything is pointless. Sorry, if this was all I needed, I could've said it to myself.
    I'm saying blaming SAD is still a cop out. Good luck anyway.
  • squirmmonster
    Options

I'm saying blaming SAD is still a cop out. Good luck anyway.

You do not seem to have any concept of what depression is. Have a nice day.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I know I don't want it to be hard to f'ing climb stairs. There has to be some kind of profound thought out there that isn't a cliche.

Climbing stairs is just practice for the times in your life when you have the opportunity to go do something fun and exciting.

There are some places in this world where the clichés melt away, the excuses and political correctness are laughed at by nature. Throw away the metaphor of climbing that mountain and getting out of the valley. Replace it with the real thing. Give yourself a real-word concrete thing to do. Climbing Long's Peak, doing a 5K in under 25 minutes, maybe just climbing the stairs without being winded. Find an actual goal you can accomplish and work on it. Don't focus so much on the food as an ends to everything. That's just one leg in your support of reaching your goal. Work on becoming a better person, a more fit person. A person who doesn't let physical barriers keep them from doing the thing they love to do.

A picture of me from last month in Colorado. Waaaaay down below me, the massive trees look smaller than tooth-picks.
    (Open image in new tab)
    217851_4175400716033_1480571687_n.jpg
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I get down in the Winter, the days are shorter, the weather is colder. We all want to just hunker in and eat hearty foods. The biggest help for me is just to get my butt outside. Bundle up warm, and take a walk. The fresh air and what light there is, helps. It's a great feeling to come in from cold, and have a cup of herbal tea under a warm throw blanket.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I kind of know what you mean about being fed up of logging all the time. Recently I've been fed up of just thinking about food ALL the time, constantly wondering what I can eat and how I can burn off the calories to eat what I want. I wonder if it might be easier for you to plan your food in advance? Maybe you could calculate your calories all at once, write it down for the week, and then not think about it again for another 7 days? I have to say that doesn't really work for me but that was recommended when I was on Scottish Slimmers.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Most of us have backslides and the ones that don't... well, they're liars.

But it's that perception - of a forward and a backward - that's your (our) problem in the first place.

Whenever you think in terms of progression or regression, or of being somewhere other than where you are right now, you are thinking in terms of a 'diet' as a verb rather than a noun - and diets are statistically proven to fail.

I think it comes down to understanding what is good for you in the present moment, because the present moment is all you've got. Trying to lose weight for vanity - well that's a lost battle inevitably. Trying to lose weight for health? Yeah but you could have an embolism tomorrow and drop dead in your breakfast cereal. Present moment is all we've got. Whatever we do, at the time we do it, is either gonna cause us some mental or physical anguish or it isn't.

In some present moments a big greasy cheesburger is good for you, in most - it isn't. Not for health reasons but because right after you've eaten it, you feel kinda crappy - be it psychological or physical. There's always some subtle sense of disatisfaction there when we're not eating to fuel ourselves properly. It's a really, really hard lesson to learn but eating the right amount of the right stuff inevitably leads to the best feeling you can get in the present moment, i.e. the only reason you should give a damn about what you're eating.

You wanted something different. Hope this helps a bit.
  • lOvInLiFeLaTiNa
    Options
    OMG, I know exactlwy what you mean. I am starting to come out of my funk. This was me last week and the 2 weeks before that.
    I was so excited because I finally got below the 300 lb mark and just lost it after that, not sure how it hit me, but truth is it hit me and hit me hard. I gained roughly 10 lbs back so of course that pushed me deeper into that funk because I have to work to drop below that 300 lb again, ARGH, right.
    So here comes the cliche....................I asked God for motivation. He answers, but not all of a sudden did I just stop feeling funky, but I did decide to re-evaluate the plan.

New plan....I decided to eat a hearty breakfast, consisting of bad stuff such as hashbrowns and bacon, the stuff I love. I have allowed 1/2 of my calories to be from breakfast, because, no matter what, I have the rest of the day to work them off AND they gave me energy AND I got to eat some of the "junk" I was trying to avoid. Then throughout the day, I eat my fruits and veggies in a grazing way. This also helps because I only really have to log my breakfast and dinner since my calories will not be so much during the day thanks to the fruits and veggies.
    This may not be my long term pattern, but it is helping enough to make a difference now.

Lesson here-
    Experiment with how you eat, you might just discover the best eating plan for you that will no longer require tracking your food. But you won't know unless you try. If you are already ready to consume the stuff that got you here, what is the harm in playing with you food plan a little first, because if it causes you to gain a pound, you would have gained it either way, right?

Best of luck, I will be praying for you. Blessings!
  • megs2003
    Options
    I was recently feeling this way about exercise. I was doing okay food wise (although not perfect, I'm never perfect :)). So what I did is I gave myself a challenge and announced it to my MFP friends. My challenge was to get in some exercise every morning for 7 days straight and asked my friends to keep me accountable. Honestly the next morning I did not want to get out of bed, but knowing I had promised them and they would kick my butt, I did it anyway. Tomorrow will be day 7 and I'm feeling better and even though it's still hard to get up in the morning (I am not a morning person), I'm starting to get back my own motivation to do it.

It is always harder in the winter with the short days and cold temperatures.

Also, I recommend talking to your doctor about you SAD (if you haven't already), I'm not an expert, but I believe light therapy helps some people and although I don't have SAD I always make sure to take Vitamin D in the winter, which does make me feel a bit better.

Good luck, I know you will find a way that works for you.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't hv much exp with depression. but i do know the longer you are out, the harder to get back in. give yourself a needed, scheduled break if you think it will help, set a date & get back in gear.

the hardest part will be getting up. but once you get up a few times in a row, you'll start to appreciate the progress & feeling of "doing" again & you'll be glad for it. I believe exercise does wonders for the soul & spirit - so even if your diet lacks & your mood is off, MAKE yourself do the littlest thing - it will make for a better day, & the next day - try to do a little more... any progress is progress.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We all get like this sometimes, I'm sorry - I know how hard it can be. I think the body at some point gets "freaked out" by being transformed, and sometimes logging doesn't feel so intuitive. We can lose the initial point of the thing in the first place...

Here are some ideas - I'm no professional or anything... But some of these things have worked for me.

1) Start setting some new goals. Maybe find a new exercise that excites you - a new sport, pilates, or even hatha yoga is relaxing and good for the spirit/mind (it's not always about strength and cardio - our spiritual side is important too.)
    2) Start to talk to yourself using positive messages -- "I take excellent care of my mind, body and health"
    3) I think taking a break from logging is OK, but try to focus on eating good, healthy nutritious food. Or maybe give yourself a date you will start up again.

Even if you "go off" a little try to balance it by moving around -

Also having a support system - try seeing a nutritionist -- it's not ultimately about logging it's about your health and feeling good again. The logging definitely has help keep me in check.

For depression therapy can make a huge difference. I have found therapy very helpful just to have someone to talk to in a "safe" space.

Good luck!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    And yes, you definitely don't want diabetes. My grandfather lost his legs because he didn't abide by the warning signs.

Think about what you have to be grateful for, whatever it is... I got the warning from a doctor that I was at risk and that reminder is with me every day. Was actually the best kick in the pants I could have had.

Best wishes.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have had some backsliding too lately......thus the zero on my weight loss ticker!!! .............But then you get yourself back up and back on the wagon again............come on girl...........no one is going to help us but ourselves!! Let's go!
  • squirmmonster
    Options
    I know I don't want it to be hard to f'ing climb stairs. There has to be some kind of profound thought out there that isn't a cliche.

Climbing stairs is just practice for the times in your life when you have the opportunity to go do something fun and exciting.

There are some places in this world where the clichés melt away, the excuses and political correctness are laughed at by nature. Throw away the metaphor of climbing that mountain and getting out of the valley. Replace it with the real thing. Give yourself a real-word concrete thing to do. Climbing Long's Peak, doing a 5K in under 25 minutes, maybe just climbing the stairs without being winded. Find an actual goal you can accomplish and work on it. Don't focus so much on the food as an ends to everything. That's just one leg in your support of reaching your goal. Work on becoming a better person, a more fit person. A person who doesn't let physical barriers keep them from doing the thing they love to do.

A picture of me from last month in Colorado. Waaaaay down below me, the massive trees look smaller than tooth-picks.
    (Open image in new tab)
    217851_4175400716033_1480571687_n.jpg

This is the best post! I never thought about doing this, but you're right. You know what? I love being outside and doing things like this.. or I used to when I didn't live in the city. I actually don't pant climbing stairs anymore, but I did at my heaviest and least fit. Not hard, just a little, but man, that was annoying. My boyfriend is off in a week and a half or so. I think I'll arrange for a road trip to a good scenic climb. We're in a good place for it, geographically, even if it's not quite right in the back yard... and the fall weather should be very agreeable. That does give me something to look forward to and a reason to keep moving.

Thank you <3
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have depression, have had it since I was 16. I workout ....hard. It's still as cold as crap here, has been all winter & now middle of spring..... but damnit if I let that stop me. It IS a cop-out. YOU are the only one who can do it, the only one who cant motivate yourself.

Blaming SAD for it is well.... sad. You have the choice to eat good or eat bad, it was never going to be easy. Working out in the cold is not meant to be easy either, but you get it done & then feel great about it.

It only hurts when you stop. Your choice, but don't blame the weather or how 'tedious' it is to count calories. We are ALL having to do it & just suck it up.

Harsh I know.... but it's the truth.
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    your post is really inspirational, I was scrolling through the feed and it stood out to me. I started yesterday with the program and I'm excited that there is an app that is free and easy to use and comprehensive,it seems easier than w.w. which i used to track with. and lost 30 kg with I remember thinking the same when i was using w.w programme. I have gained alot of weight in the last few years due to personal reasons including multiple physical restrictions which are effected from my weight and I now find it hard to climb the stairs etc..i just had my home modified because I cannot get out of bed or chairs,bath and toilet with out assistance from the modifications. I'm only 34 years old.
    YOU don't want to gain weight because when you do you can't get out and be physical to burn the calories,even if they are a small ammount of calories because of the strain of weight on your bones and pain that comes with it,ect..trust me,if I could go back to the relentless counting and tracking i would,simply because I looked and felt great! good luck. I have family members who have SAD and they can do it so you can too :)
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    WOW.. you have lost 35lbs. Celebrate that, take time out to think about how far you've come. The next sunny day, find a spot in the sun and just enjoy it, think about how it's going to feel come next summer, and you're at, or close to your goal!

Be proud of your achievement, take a week off, then come back fresh and strong! You can do it! xx
  • Go tanning.

Tanning (even if you wear sunblock) will give you the boost you need for your SAD. Plus seeing yourself naked in the mirror before you climb into the tanning bed will give you a little motivation in its own.