EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!!!! HELP!!

sheri3762
sheri3762 Posts: 159
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I'm really frustrated right now. I've lost 23 pounds since December (I started here in January). I have high blood pressure, high cholorestral, a thyroid problem and have had problems in the past with my sugar. I am presently on meds for all but the sugar. ( I used to be on meds for that but after a surgery, my sugar regulated itself! I know, really strange. My doc can't expain it either!) Anyway, I have to watch my sodium, sugar, carbs, and cholorestral. I excercise everyday switching between strenght training and cardio. I am trying really hard to eat 1500-1700 cal aday because of the excercise, MY problem is, I can't manage to stay beneath my recommended amounts of all those I stated and get in that many calories! If i really shoot to keep my sodium low, something else goes up and vice versa! Can anyone tell me what is the most important and what overall would be the best way to do this. I go over on protien everyday and usually sugar (mostly because of fruit). According to what I looked up last night online, I should try to stay at 1500 in sodium because of blood pressure, 150 carbs, and 40 sugar. I just can't keep them all in line!!! ALL suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• One more thing...I'm at a plateu! (sp?) I've been switching up excercise and increasing cals for 3 weeks now and only half pound change. I'm really lost as to what to try....
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Have you forgoten that youve lost 28pds since December:bigsmile: . You are totaly stressing yourself out and that will not help:huh: . Its hard to get over the platau but I know you can do it:happy: . Are you stressing about all the details for medical purposes, because of the platau or because you want to be the healthiest you can be? Have you ever gone to Mypyramid.com. The site has helped me manage the specifics ( i have to watch my sodium for medical reasons). I hope this helps. Please dont be frustrate :wink:!!!!!
  • I would ask your doctor which one you should try to watch the most. As for the platue, change your workout! Life harder for the week, add intervals of intense cardio training, train harder not longer, or train longer. Just change it up! That will help you get through that barrier. Good luck.
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Wow, sounds like you are doing everything right! I don't know what to tell you, except the thyroid.

I know that since I hit menopause, it is harder for me to lose. Anyway, I was frustrated until this week because I started in early January, lost 6.5, then GAINED 3! Stayed even for a couple/three weeks, then this week lost 2.5. At least I am continuing to work on it instead of just giving up.

One thing I have found and need to remember is that I lose when I walk. I can do a lot of other things, but walking does my body good....

Good Luck!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Have you ever gone to Mypyramid.com.

I just tried to go to that website and I get an invalid link notice. Can you double check and repost..
    Thanks!
    :happy:
  • thanks for the fast response!!! Ok, I'm concerned because I have to go back to see Doc in April and I REALLY want to get off my blod pressure meds and the cholorestral! The cute little swimsuit can wait!! lol Also, I will check out that "paramyd". I have changed up my workouts, but I'm gonna really change them up this week. I'm joining our local gym tomorrow. (that was previously planned, but hopefully it will make a difference!)

I also should have mentioned that my husband was just diagnosed with dabetes. (his count was over 400!) He is on meds, but I had to revamp what we were eating to fit his needs too. I'm NOT cooking 2 different dinners when his are much healthier anyway, but jeez, all this wheat stuff and no more potatoes really SUX! Not that I ate much of it since I've been changing my eating habits, but mashed potatoes would be nice once in a while!!! Sorry for venting so much, its just really frustrating when you consistantly follow your plan and don't see the results....:sad:
  • mustang3
    mustang3 Posts: 68 Member
    Mypyramid.gov
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Sodium is a very important one to keep down, especially for blood pressure. Sugar is a demon and affects so many aspects of our health, but fruit sugars- as long as the whole fruit is consumed so you're getting the fiber to slow down absorption, aren't so much of a worry. You can go over protein, definitely can go over fiber. Bad carbs (white bread, white flour, white sugar) should be kept to a minimum, but good carbs like whole grains aren't a problem.

It's a lot to try to get a handle on. My numbers are always all over the place, so I mainly focus on calories. Sodium, added sugars and bad carbs are the ones to try to keep low.
    __

Don't stress too much about it- the most important thing is getting the weight off, and that will help a lot of your health problems.
  • do you eat a lot of processed/packaged foods? i too have battled high blood pressure, and now (with some weight loss) am coming off of my meds...yay!!! but anyway...i had to watch my sodium intake and anything pre-packaged is high in sodium - ANYTHING! my doc told me that the ultimate for high bp is to stay under 900mg sodium per day...there was a big mayo clinic study about this...and staying under 900mg is HARD. i did it...it's hard. you basically have to eat all whole foods and then add your own seasoning. LOTS of fruit (in my humble opinion, the sugar in fruit doesn't count the same way that added sugar does), and veggies cooked with olive oil and load the herbs on for flavor. baked, poached, grilled chicken or turkey, beans, legumes...making things spicy helps make things flavorful without added salt. you have to get creative and almost always cook at home. it's not easy, but it's worth it!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Sheri3762: How frustrating for both you and your husband. You are so right though, in wanting to focus on getting your health issues under control. In doing that, your weight goals will also follow. I just started (2 weeks or so ago) using Shakeology from Beachbody. It is a shake that has amazing ingredients in it and has been found to help with lowering cholesterol. My husband also has cholesterol problems (I don't) and he is using it now once per day and we will find out if it help lower his. Beachbody also has things that help with diabetes. I don't know much about them but I'm sure you could google it. Send me a pm if you want more info and I'll try to help as best I can. I'm learning all about it too. You are not alone!
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Well, I don't know about never eating potatoes again!! I think you can have stuff in moderation. Try making "dirty mashed potatoes" by leaving the skins on, and put in skim milk and less butter. But I don't know about diabetes and potatoes....

Also, there is a recipe (I think it started with the south beach diet) where you make "fake" mashed potatoes with cauliflower. I know, it sounds gross, but my sister likes it. I haven't tried it as I have to avoid dairy.

I think exercise is a key to good health, so keep up the good work with that. :smile:
  • Good job losing all that weight. Plateaus are natural, anD yes, switching it up will help - your body responds well to shock. As for controlling your nutients, try to go with more veggies in general. The produce section in general has some great low calorie foods. You could try, for instance, a veggie soup with low sodium broth, etc. You might have to work a little to find some products that cater to a lower this or that need, but you can't go wrong with lots of veggies, some sweet potatoes, etc. A good rule of thumb is don't buy if it it won't spoil after a few days. Prepackaged equals sodium (among other things).
  • Sounds like you are actually doing quite well. It is very difficult to be inline with sodium, carb, fat, etc. targets each day. I think the general reality is we shift our lifestyles and diet to "average" our goals over time. For instance, one day you may have too much sodium but the next you are under...etc. etc.

You are doing really well and while it is good to take a critical view of where we are at...we need to remember to appreciate our accomplishments and not diminish ourselves. Keep to the positives and set the negatives aside...

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.