Snack ideas for airline travel

Options
kat5556
kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
My husband has a very long travel day coming up soon. A 2 hour drive, then a 6 hour flight with a layover and then another 1.5 hour drive on a shuttle bus. Since they don't feed you much on planes these days and any excuse to hit the cinnamon bun place works for him, I want to be able to send him off with some relatively healthy snacks in his backpack since he'll be without access to a meal for quite a few hours - maybe during his layover but you never know.

Nuts are out because he has mild Diverticulosis. I was thinking maybe protein bars but I'm not sure they are much better than most candy bars. I'll make him a PB&J sandwich or two but those will be gone by the time he boards the plane.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am on a trip right now. Packed some freeze dried fruit from Trader Joes
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I take pb cracker sandwich thingies, or my food bar thingies (Oatmega 3). I take nuts too (I know, you said.....), and dried cherries. I also carry my own container for water and flavor packets.
  • katstuff11
    katstuff11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I take fiber one bars and fruit.. that always helps and every airport i have been in lately has healthy alternatives. I packed a salad and a Turkey Sandwich on my last coast to coast trip.. But then again the Gumbo at the Houston airport sure looked good...
  • kat5556
    Options
    Thanks, these are great suggestions. I didn't even think about freeze dried fruit - he'll really like that. And I see that Wholefoods sells the Oatmega 3 bars. I head there to see if my local one carries them.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to travel (4 lfights/wk) every week for work. I packed protein bars (Zone bars), fruit (usually apples cos they're easy) and the little tuna kits I think Starfish makes them. Also, string cheese holds up pretty well.
  • holographic
    Options
    If it is long haul, you tend to find crumbs ( carbs ) and various bit just behind where people sit. Wait until they go to walk of loo, free lunch :p
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i would suggest the tuna kits at well. they make little tupperware containers with lids that freeze. you could fill up one of those with chopped carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices and hummus.
  • kat5556
    Options
    You all are awesome. The tuna kits are a great idea!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    if he travels overseas, just make sure he eats the fruit before landing....lol
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Ham & cheese sandwich

Beef jerky

Is edamame ok?