Fall food is my downfall

Options
If I can make it through this fall without blowing my eating habits it will be a miracle! Fall desserts, Halloween candy, and Thanksgiving dinner are several of my favorite things I look forward to allllll year. This being said I have the mentality, that everything is ok in moderation. I'm dying to make a fall dessert but I need an idea of one that is going to be low in calories. Any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump::::::))))))) and it does not matter what kind anything with chocolate to stop the hunger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • korva
    korva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love fall food, too! My downfall is the pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. If you like those you could make those at home for about 200 calories
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This sort of thing: http://worththewhisk.com/2009/09/16/light-pumpkin-custard/

Note: I have not made that exact recipe and can't vouch for it.
  • tntgal2
    tntgal2 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm a fan of Foodnetwork.com. Click on the healthy eating link and drill Down to desserts. You'll find lots of favorites that have been lightened up. I bet you could also do some kind of baked apple that would be good - peel and core and put in a baking dish with apple juice halfway up. Put a tsp of brown sugar mixed with cinnamon into the apple center, cover with foil, and bake for an hour or so at 350. You'll have a pretty healthy treat with fall flavors.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Watching this with interest. As soon as the nights start drawing in I want to eat sausage and mash or stew with dumplings, followed by apple crumble and custard! Eating healthily is so much easier in the summer.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Baked apples filled with raisins and spices with a drizzle of toffee sauce or filled with a tablespoon of mincemeat and topped with fat free Greek yogurt are going to be my standby Autumn/Winter puds.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am working on concentrating on the new Fall Food traditions. Like pumpkin soup vs chicken and dumplings or baked squash vs mashed potatoes.

i love Fall and the holiday season. I am going to concentrate on activity as well so I don't have the double whammy of "low activity" and "overeating"!!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I hate this time of year because it's my birthday, halloween, christmas etc. It's cold and all I want to do is eat.

Theres a website called skinnytaste.com it has lots of recipes for desserts etc which might help x
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    I know! candy corns get me every year!

this year, I am trying to celebrate APPLE Season by eating tons of apples instead of sweeties. And I am trying to stay the hell away from the candy isle!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas x
  • Ichristini
    Ichristini Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about this time of year being hard, but I'm trying some holiday food substitutions. There are a lot of great Holiday recipes on Skinnytaste.com, turkey itself isn't bad, its all the accompaniments.

I'm also planning on switching to just maintaining from mid November to the end of the year, I think I would just depress myself if I keep trying to lose through the holidays ;)

Good Luck everyone!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Watching this with interest. As soon as the nights start drawing in I want to eat sausage and mash or stew with dumplings, followed by apple crumble and custard! Eating healthily is so much easier in the summer.

I agree. In the UK, lots of fruit is also tasteless and overpriced in winter too. And then the office mince pies - all bets are off.

Have you tried to make a low fat beef stew (I make mine with beef dripping usually) and leave out the dumplings? It is an abomination!

I'm going to make it less often and eat less of it than I used to, will have to see how far that one goes! It's one of those dishes, like spaghetti carbonara or trifle, that is bloody dreadful if it is 'healthified'.

Though I do like baked apples, or apple compote (sometimes with dried figs or sultanas) with greek yogurt (low or full fat). It's a tasty hot pudding that doesn't pretend to be a crumble substitute and is satisfying.