"Chicken vs. the Egg" with Hypothyroidism

Options
I'm 35 years old and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 years ago. My dose of Synthroid has been adjusted regularly over the years, depending on whether I've been pregnant/nursing or just in-between: anywhere from 75 mcg up to 125 mcg a few months ago where it's stayed pretty consistent since...

At the same time, my weight has only been consistently INCREASING over the past 5 years: steady up over the years, not a significant amount of yo-yo-ing.... When I watched what I ate, I lost. When I didn't, I gained. No mystery there. Except 2 months ago, I snapped and decided to "get skinny" and so here I am, watching what I eat and moving my butt on a permanent basis now...

Well, today my doctor called and said my TSH levels are now very low again and they want to lower my dose of meds. Okay, makes sense. But then he suggested THAT is why i've been able to lose 16 pounds within the past 60 days, because I'm over-medicated! Seemingly writing off any other feasible explanation for me losing weight.

I, on the other hand, believe that eating better and exercising significantly more over the past 60 days has just reduced my previous need for Synthroid. Maybe even just the lower body weight reduced the need: NOT the other way around...

What's your opinion/experience? Has anyone found that the more changes they make to their lifestyle, the less medication they've needed for the same reasons? Or am I just about to gain that 16 pounds back when they lower my dose again? Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think your doctor was wrong to immediately discredit your efforts and blame your medication for your weight loss... that's demoralizing and disheartening, especially for someone who has been working her butt off.

I haven't dealt with hypothyroidism before, but based on your history, your medication level seems not to have been the determinant of whether or not you lost weight... your diet was. Why would this situation be any different?

Don't get discouraged! Keep doing what you're doing, and, as much as it's gonna stink, you're gonna have to just wait and see... but I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by your continued progress!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    That is not a significant increase in Thyroid medication, you should be fine by reducing it, unless you feel Thyroid symptoms returning. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It seems that losing weight helps with most hormonal conditions. Women I've known with PCOS found that their condition improved with weight loss, and I would think that hypothyroidism may be similar.

Your doctor sounds a bit harsh. Keep up the good work and don't let him take your success away from you. Even if your loss was partially due to medication, I'm sure a good part of it also happened because you were working for it. :)
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words! That's exactly what it was to me: very DISHEARTENING. So I really appreciate the encouragement! :)
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ugh, that would be frustrating. I find a lot of things can influence your levels but mainly hormonal changes(IMO), ie. when I'm pregnant(all 5 times) my levels were good enough to not be on any medication, however as soon as I have baby my levels go crazy again. Weird. I know that if your medication is too high it could cause weight loss because your thyroid would be over acting instead of under. But with the change of diet and activity it's hard to say. If he's going by your TSH levels etc than I would hope that he is only lowering it based on that and not on the weight loss.

I also just recently read that losing weight will not makesome one regain a normal thyroid function. I was hoping it would but just researched it myself.

Not sure if it was an typo on your part or an error in my thinking but if your levels were low wouldn't he want to raise your prescription? I have been on as high as 250mcg and I am currently on 137 however I think I'm going to be upped soon, starting to feel "off".

Don't know if this was any help(I'm feeling a little scatter brained) but good luck.
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Seems as though your doctor may be one among the millions out there who really has no clue.
    If you are not having adverse symptoms of "over-medication" than I would fight to remain on your current dosage.
    Make sure you are getting a copy of labs so you can take an active role in your treatment.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I no longer have a thyroid and rely on Synthroid. I take 200 mcg and have maintained for a few years now. TSH levels can go high or low, but if I remember correctly, when the doc was trying to get my levels to even out after having my thyroidectomy , I still lost weight because I was eating right and exercising about an hour a day. I think your doctor is wrong about this. I think you are losing weight from eating right and exercising. You're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    There is a Thyroid group on here I believe that may be supportive for you. On the TSH question, the level is high when it is pulling for more Thyroid hormone. When the hormone levels are normal the TSH goes down.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    While I certainly do not discount your efforts in terms of your success, I would think twice before lowering your meds. I've been on a 5 year plateau followed by a steady gain of 25 pounds and all during that time I was biking around 100 miles a week, running a 5K once a month during the season, hiking, ballroom dancing, paddleboarding and weightlifting, just to name a few. I was working out hard and staying between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. And I was gaining weight. And no, I was not in "starvation mode". It turns out I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Its an autoimmune disease that results in hypothyroidism. And even now that I am diagnosed and on medication, its still really hard to lose anything, but thank goodness I've stopped gaining. I've had my meds adjusted twice and I'm waiting till december to see how this last adjustment goes, but so far, I've lost about 11 of the 25 I gained. It's taken me over 3 months to do it and the weight loss has stalled. I think I need my meds increased again. If you are losing with your meds where they are, I wouldn't change a thing. Keep up the great work.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to know for sure. But this...
    When I watched what I ate, I lost. When I didn't, I gained. No mystery there. Except 2 months ago, I snapped and decided to "get skinny" and so here I am, watching what I eat and moving my butt on a permanent basis now...

And from a person who has no information-- just from reading your description-- it sounds like being successfully medicated has REMOVED your thyroid issues from the equation. Ideally, you take your meds, then get on with your life. It sounds like the drug has been working hard-- which makes your efforts count. And your weight loss may very well be contributing to your reduced need for medication.

Awesome! I hope you keep good records (weight, measurements, calorie intake averages, medication levels, mood, I dunno what else, temperature?) so you can monitor when something may be going wrong.
  • GwennyH
    Options
    Make sure you are getting a copy of labs so you can take an active role in your treatment.

Good idea: Thanks! I was just thinking, I wish there was a way to log these numbers somewhere on MFP so I could keep track and maybe even correlate it with my weight at the time!
  • GwennyH
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas/encouragement: It definitely helped me feel a bit less discouraged today and I appreciate it!
  • NurseJodies
    NurseJodies Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've done some research into hypothyroidism. From what I understand, not only does your thyroid work better when you exercise, but your cells are also more receptive to the hormones when you exercise.

I think it's way more likely that exercise is helping your thyroid work more efficiently. My thyroid function was always on the low side until I started working out 4 months ago. Now it's completely normal. Pretty cool!
  • aedlife
    aedlife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also have hishimotos. It was nice to read a post that is completely my life. My biggest goal is to not gain. My TSH levels fluctuate so much I have blood work done every 6 weeks. Right now at 150mcg. My biggest goal right now is to exercise daily so that I am healthy. Keeping my body healthy will keep me active with my children. Hopefully my size will decrease, but it hasn't been easy. I have lost 20 pounds in 13 years...plus 2 kids;) and the baby weight from each birth!

My advice, see an endocrinologist, and make sure s/he really listen to you!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am interested in these responses. I also am hypo and i couldn't lose the weight for the life of me before my last dose was upped. ten it was coming off slowly but it was coming off steady! I go for my 1st endo appt tomorrow and am very excited to see what they are goign to do for me, what they will test me for, etc...