Have you reduced your bp with diet and exercise?

Options
The question above. Any success reducing bloop pressure without medicines using diet and exercise?

Replies

• becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been closely monitoring my BP since a scary reading at a doctor's office in May (not even at my peak weight - I gained about 10 more in the months following that).

I'm only 5 weeks into my diet changes and regular exercise and my BP is already back to normal. Woo!
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well not ME but my dad did. it's the healthiest way to do it, all those meds and stuff are bad for you in the long run!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is so crazy but in two weeks of working out and drinking more water my blood pressure has dropped 20 points on top and bottom.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    yes - my last dr. appt before I started my diet I was at 180/100... now I'm back to my normal 120/80. :)
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes, even without exercise - just diet, I've gone from 140+/90 to 125/79. Definitely works.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely yes
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was on both Diovan and Norvasc. Weight loss alone -- at about 40 lbs gone -- and the doc took me off the Norvasc. I added a bit of walking and bike riding, dropped nearly another 10 lbs, and the doctor cut my dose of Diovan in half. Oh yes, I also quit smoking. With cardio and losing a few more pounds, I should be off the BP meds completely.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes, but my bp was good (low normal) when I was at my heaviest...
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hoping that works for me, but I've had high blood pressure since I was in my 20s and I was at normal weight and exercised then. Both my parents had high blood pressure so I'm guessing it's a heriditary problem. My blood sugar levels are better however.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The question above. Any success reducing bloop pressure without medicines using diet and exercise?

Yes but in my case it hasn't been a good thing. My BP was about 115/70, which was good and now it hovers at 95/52, which is so low I can barely make it through my day.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not I (my BP is like I'm nearly dead) but I reduced my cholesterol. My Dr. was very happy!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have the dreaded white coat hypertension, and even that reading has gone down.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I actually posted a forum topic about this earlier. :smile: I've had a lot of success with this. As of today's reading, my bp is 118/64. Last time I checked a few weeks ago, it was 160/100. So... It's went down A LOT. :bigsmile:

I would suggest lowering sodium intake, if you haven't already. And drink LOTS of water. This is what has helped with me. On top of exercising.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not enough according to my doctor. Of course, she doesn't ever tell me what it is just that it's 'normal for me'. She also doesn't understand that I have white coat syndrome because, you know, fat people automatically have high blood pressure. :huh:
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Yes I just had my 6 month diabeties check up and Doc took me off my BP meds :) ..... Yes it works!!
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have the dreaded white coat hypertension, and even that reading has gone down.

Same, and same!! I think the anxiety of knowing it will be terrible has gone down which helps the 'white coat' syndrome a lot :)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Yes, and also Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar every day. I also use supplements (potassium, Omega 3) so these also may have something to do with it. I stopped taking potassium once and My BP went high. Truthfully, you have to find your own "Cocktail". As a very prominent doctor said, "When the Body starts correcting/healing not JUST one thing is effected." Chances are if your BP is problematic other stuff needs help to...go for becoming Totally Healthy.
  • myhorizon
    Options
    I’ve had high bp since I was 16 years old! 7 weeks into working out, I feel great however; my bp fluctuates. Yes, I’m on medication for it. I believe it's a hereditary. Both of my grandparents had it and both of my parents have it. All I can do is stay away from salt, eat clean and workout for my health. Stress also plays a huge role in this also.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Garlic is also supposed to help reduce blood pressure. So... start using garlic in everything you cook.
  • Fortunecat1
    Fortunecat1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not enough according to my doctor. Of course, she doesn't ever tell me what it is just that it's 'normal for me'. She also doesn't understand that I have white coat syndrome because, you know, fat people automatically have high blood pressure. :huh:

This is very strange. Are you saying your doctor refuses to tell you what your BP is? That is YOUR health information. Your doctor has actually refused to tell you your readings? If so, you need a new doctor. Also, you can check your BP at the drug store or at home and take that info to your doctor if you think you have white coat syndrome.

As for the original question, I have now stopped taking my BP medication, thanks to my weight loss and increased exercise! I'm so happy; I hate taking medication. My doctor is so pleased with me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!