Do you wear a weightlifting belt?

Options
If you do comment and if you dont give a reason why

Replies

• Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No. Not useful unless you are squatting massive weights, even then plenty of power lifters do just fine without one. The purpose is to increase abdominal pressure which in turn provides support for the lower back. However crushing your internal organs like that is not particularly good for you over an extended period of time, it will at the very least raise your blood pressure. Even if you do squat extremely heavy, you should avoid using one as much as possible to build up your back strength, similar concept to only using lifting straps on the sets where you really need them.

I have to laugh at the staunch idiots that wear them when doing a completely unrelated exercise like bicep-curling, wear them when lifting stuff all weight, or wear them too loose to actually offer any back support.

Edit: Just one more point, most weight lifting belts that you see at your average sports store are useless because they are too narrow, in order to increase abdominal pressure they need a large frontal area. The common ones I see are actually wider at the back, so you would be better off wearing them backwards!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use one when squatting and deadlifting.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No. Like the other guy said, I figure it's better to strengthen my back without one.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weight belts DO NOT work. Scientific research has shown these belts give a false sense of security while performing heavy lifts. These belts offer NO anatomical support for the back. By the very nature of the shape of the lower back, spinal cord alignment, hip placement, etc. the so-called support is above the target area.

Proper biomechanical movement (form) is the best way to improve on your squats, dead lifts, etc.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i havent seen regular weight belt use since the 90s. i just dont see a reason to use one.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    No. I figure it's better to strengthen my back without one.

I also find it uncomfortable.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lift heavy without one and I wrap my knees
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    No. I figure it's better to strengthen my back without one.

I also find it uncomfortable.

god damn right it is. especially when they're brand new and not broken in :laugh:

once broken in and you're accustomed to it, then they're very "comforting" in a way.
  • Ronaldblue
    Ronaldblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I rotate high bar squats, zercher squats and front squats, as well as do deadlifts without a belt. Never had a need for one and don't see why I will ever need one.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wear a Harbringer velcrow belt not a leather one and I only use it when I do squats deadlifts and overhead presses
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I rotate high bar squats, zercher squats and front squats, as well as do deadlifts without a belt. Never had a need for one and don't see why I will ever need one.

Holy crap...someone besides me on this forum does Zercher squats? O_O

In response to the op: nope, never used one. I see no benefit to using something that will attempt to squeeze my guts out of my *kitten* when squatting heavy. You have stabilizer muscles for a reason. Let them do their job.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Used to use a leather support belt when I was lifting bak in the 90's but I now use it as a strop to sharpen knives for whittling! As has been saif - you have stabilizer muscles for that job - give them a chance to work.