Lifting while in ketosis

Options
My chiropractor/friend is trying to get me to try a program that includes being in ketosis for up to 6 weeks. I've read many articles discouraging this especially if you like to lift weights. Weights have become a big part of my weight loss routine the last couple of months. Does anyone have some advice in this area???

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I lifted heavy, from 2 to 6 hours a day for nearly 6 months while in ketosis. I took a break every 5th or 6th day. I was on a boat. Got really buff, and lost 93 lbs. Now I gained 63 back, and am finally starting to drop them again, though not through ketosis. It worked fine with me. I also ate very low fat. I was eating primarily protein. Worked great for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I lifted heavy, from 2 to 6 hours a day for nearly 6 months while in ketosis. I took a break every 5th or 6th day. I was on a boat. Got really buff, and lost 93 lbs. Now I gained 63 back, and am finally starting to drop them again, though not through ketosis. It worked fine with me. I also ate very low fat. I was eating primarily protein. Worked great for me.

Let me see if I have this straight? You lost 93 lb? You regained 63? And lifting in ketosis went great? And you were eating very low fat?
    To the OP: Don't follow this strategy.

Ketosis is a condition that people react to differently. Some do not have much energy from a lack of glycogen replenishment from a higher carb intake. Some do well after an adjustment period. Only be trying it will you know if it works for you. This all begs the larger question though; why? Low carb can be a valid tool for some. Not so much for others. Why would you be considering this.

One major drawback is that if you do not have enough glycogen to fuel your workouts, how do you get glycogen? It comes from the conversion of protein. This, to me, means you run the risk of catabolism. There is also some research the shows this can happen. Only you can decide if the risk is worth the short term gains.

If you have no particular metabolic issues, like, say, insulin sensitivity, I'd lose fat via a more traditional strategy. Calorie deficit, managing the macros, working out to maintian lean muscle tissue and play for the long term. Just one man's opinion.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I gained most of that back this last year after my mom died. I pretty much went to work and did nothing else. I kept most of the weight off for a few years.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    At your size, just eating at a moderate deficit and lifting weights will have you shedding some fat pounds quickly. Just make sure you count your calories and get enough protein so you're burning fat and not muscle. Carbs will give you energy to lift longer and heavier. Low/no carbs is overrated, though I don't think it's dangerous as some will tell you.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I think the post before this is probably right. I was also eating at a very large calorie deficit during this time as well as using Hydroxycut Hardcore.
  • PHATFOBIA
    Options
    Sorry but lifting 4-6 hours a day is RIDICULOUS. What was your body composition during that period? The best of experts and even professional bodybuilders would laugh out loud at this regime. What on earth were you trying to achieve?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Sorry but lifting 4-6 hours a day is RIDICULOUS. What was your body composition during that period? The best of experts and even professional bodybuilders would laugh out loud at this regime. What on earth were you trying to achieve?

Wrong. Check out the work routines that the Bulgarians use for their Olympic lifters, then comment. I have seen reports of as high as 8 hours per day, very often using 85% of 1RM for work sets. Those guys are proof positive that most western cultures are full of fail these days, when it comes to physical work ethic. The only reason these 'experts' would laugh out loud is because they assume you suck as a human being.
  • Ronaldblue
    Ronaldblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have tried Ketosis, but have not found it to be all that helpful, especially since it causes my weightlifting to suffer. I stay sore longer and I can't hit the same weight for as long. Additionally, it creates a false sense of accomplishment once you enter ketosis, because your body purges itself of water weight, which will show you rapid loss, but that weight will come back when you decide to eat carbs again. If you can stick to the program, you can lose significant amounts of weight, but it really didn't work for me.

I probably won't do keto again unless I want to cut water weight for the beach or something. Hurts my lifting too much.

Edit: Ketosis is also a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. Low fat keto is possible but does all sorts of nasty things to your liver and musculature through gluconeogenesis, catabolism and malnutrition.
  • Ronaldblue
    Options

Wrong. Check out the work routines that the Bulgarians use for their Olympic lifters, then comment. I have seen reports of as high as 8 hours per day, very often using 85% of 1RM for work sets. Those guys are proof positive that most western cultures are full of fail these days, when it comes to physical work ethic. The only reason these 'experts' would laugh out loud is because they assume you suck as a human being.

*cough cough* Steroids *cough* They're a hell of a drug.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Whether they are on gear or not is irrelevant in this context. Never once did either of those posters mention the word 'natural'. Even if they had, 'natty' has become synonymous these days with "I suck and refuse to push myself, and I can use steroids as an excuse for why those guys make me their punk ***** every day".

Does gear give people an edge? Of course. Does it have some trickle over effect that makes people not using it into whining vaginas? It shouldn't, but it certainly appears to. No, that wasn't a stab at you, just the people who seem to think that impressive feats of strength are nigh impossible without them. The like to ignore all of the monstrous strongmen who existed for centuries before steroids even existed. ;)
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are big in the physique world and how its done with our competitors. It works well when understood and applied correctly. Training only needs to be 1 hour per day and can go as many as 6 days per week depending on where a person is with their target date.

Too much will only invite injury and spike the need for more calories than needed.

I'm currently using it at 52 years of age and just clocked in at 4.5% and will peel it down a bit more. Give it a try you'll be amazed at what you body looks like when you finally get over "its the fat that makes me fat" story so many are afraid of...when really its all the crappy, man made carbs.

Give me a shout if it seems more trouble than you might think its worth...but really, you have to ask yourself "when will I ever get a chance to make my body finally look like i want it to look...when?"

Hope to hear from you

Emile
  • Ronaldblue
    Options

Whether they are on gear or not is irrelevant in this context. Never once did either of those posters mention the word 'natural'. Even if they had, 'natty' has become synonymous these days with "I suck and refuse to push myself, and I can use steroids as an excuse for why those guys make me their punk ***** every day".

Does gear give people an edge? Of course. Does it have some trickle over effect that makes people not using it into whining vaginas? It shouldn't, but it certainly appears to. No, that wasn't a stab at you, just the people who seem to think that impressive feats of strength are nigh impossible without them. The like to ignore all of the monstrous strongmen who existed for centuries before steroids even existed. ;)

Fair points, I'm just saying. Don't expect to lift 8 continuous hours a day (or even 3-4 times a week) unless you have some steroids. Your body just can't recover that fast or last that long without the testosterone boost. Also, roids totally gets overused. My buddy is 100% natural and guys always accuse him of using roids and he's not even that big. As in, only been lifting seriously for like a year.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

This post was awesome until the word whining vagina was thrown into play. WTF?
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

Specifically part 2 will give you the advice you need, but read the whole thing. Outlines the cyclical ketogenic diet. Basically you eat carbs around a few intense weight workouts a week.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

This post was awesome until the word whining vagina was thrown into play. WTF?

Lol, call it force of habit. I grew up around almost nothing but women, so I have a habit of referring to any kind of constant complaining in the context of the female anatomic. The few men I was around were too busy making sure everyone was fed to complain about ****. ;)
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD).

Look into it, I've tried a few variations of the Ketogenic Diet and I am a serious weight lifter and intermediate bodybuilder (not to be confused with expert). If done right, the Ketogenic Diet is an incredible diet. The initial lbs. lost is not water weight, don't confuse this!

Normally I'd really get into this conversation but it's late and I'm a senior college student so I'm about ready to hurt myself with all this schoolwork I've got going on.