WOMEN - weight loss and hair loss????

Options

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I have upped my calories , and my hair has got thicker ,( I thought I was imaging it, but my hairdresser bought it up the other day)
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be the result of prolonged severe calorie restriction. If you've been undereating since May as much as you have this past week or so, I'm not honestly surprised you're losing your hair. I would eat more, start by getting at least up to your calorie goal. Also, consider taking a diet break by eating at maintenance for a few weeks to try to get your hormones and everything back to normal.
    I have had a stomach bug this past week so I dont usually go as low on my calorie intake as this past week. I just haven't been able to eat a lot.
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have a thyroid problem but it's regulated BUMP for answers.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You are consuming too few calories. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough iron it can thin your hair. Also, eating too low fat can cause hair loss.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have always had a very thick and full head of long hair. Since loosing weight my hair is starting to fall out in massive amounts! I have always lost a handful during hair washing and brushing but this is much more than that. Has anyone else had this happen? Can anyone give me some hope that this is some kind of 7 year shead..... it's not in paches kind of all over.

I flipped through your diary and you're netting about 1000-1100 a day which is extremely low. I would guess that you're losing hair due to severe calorie restriction. But it would be a good idea to see your doctor.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There isn't any sort of normal 7 year shed. SEE YOUR DOCTOR. You are deficient in some nutrients from restricting your diet, or you have some other health issue going on. Your doctor can find out exactly, those of us on the internetz can only guess.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Being anemic can be a cause of hair loss. You really should have blood work done to see if the cause could be that you are either anemic or you have a thyroid issue.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My hair got much thinner due to my thyroid and massiveley with contraceptive pill AND lack of nutrients.
    Over the past few years it has never got much better after trying various things so ive given in lol. Clip in hair extensions are good for nights out.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I take prenatal vitamins (not preggers) to make sure I'm getting the vitamins I need. Plus, there's extra iron and biotin, which help skin and nails. I still shed sometimes, but it's not nearly as often, and my hair length is growing faster.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My hair thinned out a LOT when I lost weight, and it's still pretty thin. I lost 60 pounds over a year or so, so I didn't lose super fast or anything, and I definitely got enough protein and fat. And I probably averaged 2000 calories. Sometimes just being in an extended calorie deficit will cause you to lose hair even if you did everything right. I've been taking a biotin supplement lately and that's helped a lot, so you might want to look into that or prenatal vitamins.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow! How weird, I have just been freaking out about this over the last several weeks and almost had an anxiety attack when my hairdresser mentioned it today!!! I have always had fine hair, but a TON of it...over the last few months I have noticed it getting thinner in a section on top of my head and it is giving me a heart attack!!! LOL I have lost over 100 pounds in 18 months so I think that and low iron are the reason. I eat between 1200-1500 calories so I don't go too low, but I have never really done well with eating lots of vegetables and I'm sure I could do better with protein. I have been prone to anemia since my first pregnancy years ago and because I have heavy periods I tend to get it. I'm sure mixed with dieting and extreme exercise and low iron, and STRESS, that is what is going on. My hairdresser recommended going back on an iron supplement and a biotin supplement. I am going to do everything in my power to reverse this because I love my hair and I will be one depressed lady if it gets thin and lifeless. I am pretty positive it's not my thyroid because that I have had that checked a few times over the last few years. Good luck to you, hope it gets better. Try not to panic like I have been. OMG. Isn't it horrifying?????:cry:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Im a hairstylist, and sudden hair loss can be for several reasons.. losing a large amount of weight quickly as well as maintaining a fairly low cal intake will really stress out your body. Your hair loss is a sign that your body could be suffering, as well as there could be other things going on. Dont let it go, its something that should def be discussed with your doctor!

I second that
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are eating between 800 and 1100 calories most days. You are having hair loss issue because your are not taking in enough nutrition for your body to sustain all it's tissue. It's simple really. Your body is adapting to your prolonged low calorie intake. You should consider this a warning signal that you are eating at an unhealthy level.

^^ This.

I lost my first 20kgs (44lbs? I think) with a VLCD and my very long, very thick hair started falling out in clumps too. Since Christmas I've been eating more calories (around 1750ish) and I'm still losing weight and my hair isn't falling out.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    and buy a good quality shampoo and conditioner ( we also wash our hair more when working out and strip the oils out which can lead to breakage and thinner hair). I use Paul Mitchell strong and it is amazing and u don't need as much as with cheaper products.

That's a really interesting point! I never thought about it but that is true (about working out and therefore washing our hair more often). Makes sense.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am someone who cant eat more than 900 cal (doc orders)

take biotin 5000 (something your body creates to maintain hair and nails)
    biotin shampoo
    biotin conditioner

buy all 3 at vitamin world
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I did, until I was put on prescription strength prenatal vitamins. Now my hair is thickening up and my nails don't break off as easily anymore. Perhaps a good multivitamin would do you some good. Just make sure you talk to your doctor before you start taking any over the counter medicines, to make sure it'll jive with any other medicines you may be on. He or she may also be able to see if you're deficient in any necessary vitamins (i.e. iron, vitamin d, vitamin b12, ect)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

biotin shampoo
    biotin conditioner

Ok, I'm curious. Why did the doctor say you can't eat any more than 900 cals per day?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    not only can losing weight too fast make your hair fall out it also make people look older in the face. i see so many pictures of great weight loss on here where people have lost tons of weight very quickly but ended up looking like they stepped 15 years on a time machine.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

biotin shampoo
    biotin conditioner

Ok, I'm curious. Why did the doctor say you can't eat any more than 900 cals per day?

personal sorry its the meals we set up and I'm happy with them. I get everything I need without the calories. :D