Good protein shake without added crap?

Options
My husband and I have been using Syntha-6 protein powder for a while now, and I just read that it has Acesulfame potassium in it, which apparently is not a good thing.. Anyone have thoughts on this ingredient, and can anyone recommend a better protein powder that is free of this and still tastes good?

thanks!

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    milk--just drink organic milk if you're concerned. pasteurized egg whites can be added to it. then a banana, pb, and some ice. you're good to go.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    We use this before working out. Husband is a running freak, I'm just exercising moderately, but we both notice it sustains us well and doesn't leave a big lump sloshing around in our stomachs before running or walking. We get the vanilla, never tried the other flavors. If you like it, buy it in the large bag and you'll save a lot of money.

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-whey_protein.htm
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can't drink milk, I'm lactose intolerant. I drink Almond Milk.
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options
    I'll check that out, thanks!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I can't drink milk, I'm lactose intolerant. I drink Almond Milk.

So is my BF...lactaid takes care of that.
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options
    True - I always forget about that! thanks :)
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I get the gold standard ON whey natural vanilla whey. Tastes good and there are no artificial sweeteners in it.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Nutiva Hemp Protein powders- or any hemp protein powders for that matter.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Total Lean protein powder. My fave is Blueberries and Cream. In all honesty, I like all of their flavors. Sometimes I add things to it, other times I don't. I buy it during Gold Card week to save money.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Nutiva Hemp Protein powders- or any hemp protein powders for that matter.

How does that dissolve for you? Or I guess I should ask how you use it... blender, on its own etc.
  • Smrhoads
    Options
    I buy Jay Robb's vanilla whey. It isn't loaded with crap!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Chicken is lactose free and similar kcal/g protein.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I use Qivana's protein shakes. They are all natural and have vanilla and choclate flavors. I love them. I also will use Liquid egg whites by Egg whites International. They are also all natural and pasturized. You can add lots or alittle to them. You can even add it to food like a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. I usually just have it with chocolate milk. These two products have worked great for me. (if you need more info you can message me) Good luck in your search.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Carnivor. This is primarily because I hate Whey on principle (it's a dairy waste product), soy is estrogenic garbage, and Carnivor is made from beef protein isolate. It's not cheap by any means, but it's one of the better ones I have found. I've also heard nothing but good things about Monster Milk though I know very little about it myself.
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I'm always on the hunt for good protein shakes. :happy:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I get the gold standard ON whey natural vanilla whey. Tastes good and there are no artificial sweeteners in it.
    +1
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    +2
  • Lukeboe
    Options
    This is primarily because I hate Whey on principle (it's a dairy waste product), soy is estrogenic garbage

Whey is a by-product, NOT waste. It's already present in milk before curdling via rennet. Whey proteins make up approximately 20% of the protein in milk, by weight. You should probably stop drinking milk if you are so scared of whey proteins...
    soy is estrogenic garbage

Soy is awesome. I'm not even going to go into detail in regards to nutritional value. You need to do some research and stop believing everything you read on blogs on the internet. True, it has one of the highest levels of phytoestrogens of all foods; however, it has zero effect on male physiology with normal consumption. It may even help reduce the risk of prostate cancer in males.

Take a cooking class people! I mean a real cooking class. I'm halfway through a BioChemistry class on the science of cooking and it's fascinating. I know so much more about the food we consume, and about the stupid myths that people love to gobble up and regurgitate.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I really love Odwalla protein shakes. The vanilla almond and pumpkin ones are soy protein and totally non-dairy.