I have no clue what to eat :(

Options
Every day its either salads, subway, protein shakes, fruit, and lean cuisines. Everyone on mfp says I need to eat less process foods...like what, what can i eat day to day that I actually like? I dont like nuts, greek yoguart, hard boiled eggs, rice cakes. I already eat fruit and Veggies what do you suggest?

Replies

• teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well protein shakes are ok, no need to change that, but maybe brown rice? Tuna in water, Grilled chicken breasts, tilapia fillets???? you can have scrambled egg whites if you don't like them boiled.. unless you don't like eggs at all *_* ... .. I ussually add them to some lettuce and tomato.. low fat dressing maybe if you want? there's lot of good foods out there, just get out of your comfort zone and you'll find foods you actually enjoy
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, veggie burgers, shrimp etc. what about beans, cottage cheese?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, fish, lean cuts of beef, Turkey breast...just about any lean meat. With options this wide, I don't understand the difficulty honestly. I don't even eat fruits or vegetables for the most part. That's what supplements are for. Plants are what food eats. ;)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go to the library and browse healthy cookbooks. Or Google an ingredient you do like followed by the word "recipe". Or buy some food magazines. Basically do some research and find your own answers -- no one is going to be able to tell you what you like but you.
  • zanAspera
    zanAspera Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let other people tell you what to eat. In my mind the whole point of myfitnesspal isn't to stop you from cheating... People who wanted to cheat on their diets wouldn't report the cheating anyway... But for you to track what you eat over time so you can look back and decide what is working for you and what isn't.

If you use the notes fields to track how you feel, when you are feeling hungry or sated, tired or energetic, sick or fit, You can start to see if certain things don't balance out thoughout the day, week or month...

Beyond that, I would be skeptical of what anyone advises you to eat unless I can find an actual scientific study (not just a statistical analysis where their conclusion is "there is a link between...", with no thoughtful analysis as to what that link might be...

Be yourself and find out what works for you. A lot of processed food is crap, but not all of it is, and it sounds to me like you are making healthy choices. If you are happy with how you feel and the numbers you are getting, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks, it's your body and your life. That's what I think.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Rice (about 200 calories per cup) and potatoes (about 1 calorie a gram) are good staples. I like to use a variety of low calorie condiments or toppings. Salsa, nutritional yeast etc. Red or black beans or lentils, canned or homemade, are great with rice.

Sweet potatoes.

Tofu is really flexible, can take on a lot of flavors. Use Chinese style, not Japanese, the texture is much better.
  • sarahleecookie
    Options
    Morning star chipotle bean burgers from Costco are delicious, tacos with pinto beans..ground turkey..fat free sour cream and salsa are tasty and low calorie, meatloaf made with ground turkey..whole grain breadcrumbs..one egg..seasonings and a little ketchup or BBQ sauce, chicken breast in the crock pot with one or two large cans of enchilada sauce ( depending on how much chicken you use). Hope this helps, I have a hard time trying to think of new things too because I'm not into making things that take forever, just search the Internet for new recipes to try and be creative.
  • nhafizamj
    Options
    My trick is to have a good lunch! I have a plate of 64g rice with fresh salad and some lean meat.. such as steam fish with lemon dressing. Yummy! and i am not starving at all
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    - Grilled meats in marinades + a cooked green veg. Look to different cuisines (Caribbean, Korean, Thai, Cajun, yum, blackened chicken) for inspiration. All of those taste amazing with eg green beans, broccoli, kale. I often throw just a bit of lemon juice on that but you could also put a wee pinch of butter. If my stomach's funny, I'll have a bit of rice with that.

- Bean and lentil dishes: salads, soups, stews. Easy lunch: refried beans + low fat cheese + tomatoes on a whole wheat pita. Sandwiches (no butter, easy on the mayo if I need it; whole grain mustard otherwise, usually. Or low-fat cream cheese.)

- An "easy meal" I like: 1 serving pasta (serving size as on box) + marinara or white/rose sauce made with oil & Greek yogurt (vs butter & cream), & some kind of green veg in it (broccoli, peas, even brussels sprouts) + a meat (sometimes a leftover; could be fish, mussels, ham, any meat). Most nutritional targets hit! If I have Parm or Romano it's just a sprinkle.

- Breakfast: I like boiled eggs, but also have em scrambled or fried in a bit* of veg oil. Plain, or with onion, bits of ham or prosciutto. On toast with smoked salmon or mackerel. Could also do peanut butter or avocado on toast. Oatmeal.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    but + 1 cookbooks!
  • pocketmel
    Options
    What about tofu or seitan?
  • mama4loca
    mama4loca Posts: 181
    Options
    You already lost 24 pounds so you must be doing something right!
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    What about tofu or seitan?

MMMMmmmmmm :)
  • CelinaVigil
    Options
    As long as you eat in moderation and use portion control, you can eat whatever you want really. :)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a very appealing option, I saw they have some single sizes advertised on tv last night. Unfortunately I am allergic to fish. My house consisted ov everything fried which is how I got into this mess so it looks like I will need to look into some of those cookbooks :)
  • 256Sept12
    Options
    cook yourself some meals.

Chili with ground turkey instead of beef
    Grilled Chicken
    Homemade pizza (i like whole grain english muffin pizza)
    Tuna or chicken salad wrap with lettuce and tomato
    pork chop (not breaded, cooked with olive oil spray) with side of veggies and sweet potato.

Omelette with low fat cheese, veggies, and lean meat.

Basically, cook yourself any meal you want...just make some substitutions to make it suit your diet.
  • Missyelliotfan33
    Missyelliotfan33 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Trust me I had a hard time when it came to eating when I first started. What you should do is educate yourself on what are processed foods so its easier for you to avoid them. The frozen meals that you get like lean cuisine are one of the most processed food so I would try not to eat those as much as possible. I was eating them too thinking that was going to help me loose weight but they werent very healthy and super processed. Try sticking to more basic things like chick eggs, fish, salads, and if you are going to do bread do only wheat, try quiona. It all gets easier as you go trust me! Just start off with little steps maybe taking one meal out a day that you try not to have processed food. Just keep going dont turn back now! Good Luck!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    not everyone likes to cook- so that may be why you aren't cooking? Or time is a factor- its a lot easier to justify cooking when you have a family than just yourself. And it takes time, just like adding in workouts- some of us just don't have extra time.
    Many are in school and working, I work full time and I teach 8 Zumba classes every week- as much as I would rather have a home cooked meal, its not going to happen often (oh yes, and my newest grandchild was just born- gotta fit in seeing them too)

Life is stressful, for many of us cooking is just not an option all the time. The funny thing is, I am an excellent cook. I love to cook for others- for just myself, its a chore. I'll do it, and if I plan my meals out on the weekend, if I get the time to cook ahead, I do well with my meals all week and feel very good all week.

My solution? Gotta take care of myself, so I am dropping some classes in November, going from 8 to 5- hoping this will both save my body but also give me time to workout for myself- not just teaching.
    Not that my solution is the solution- sometimes we can't just change our schedule- life isn't always that easy right? :wink:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should be eating something every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism going constantly. Make sure you eat something in between breakfast, lunch and dinner such as a snack of fruits, nuts or low fat cheese. Eat fruits, vegetables, wholewheat/meal/grain/pulses, lean protein and healthy fats. Healthy fats are key to weight loss and fitness: soya, seeds, oily fish, avocados, flaxseeds, extra virgin olive oil etc. You need these in your body.

Example of a day’s food:
    Breakfast needs to be wholegrain toast or oats, lean protein and fat like eggs or soya, piece of fruit, add some salad if you like.
    Mid morning snack, have some fruit, seeds or low fat cheese or yoghurt (low in sugar and fat).
    Lunch needs to wholegrain, lean protein, vegetables and healthy fats (like breakfast).
    Mid afternoon snack same as the mid morning snack.
    Dinner same as lunch.
    Be sure to drink 2-3 litres of water and avoid fruit juices (especially ‘concentrate’ ones).
    Alternatively you can have 5 small meals a day instead of the in-between snacks.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let other people tell you what to eat. In my mind the whole point of myfitnesspal isn't to stop you from cheating... People who wanted to cheat on their diets wouldn't report the cheating anyway... But for you to track what you eat over time so you can look back and decide what is working for you and what isn't.

If you use the notes fields to track how you feel, when you are feeling hungry or sated, tired or energetic, sick or fit, You can start to see if certain things don't balance out thoughout the day, week or month...

Beyond that, I would be skeptical of what anyone advises you to eat unless I can find an actual scientific study (not just a statistical analysis where their conclusion is "there is a link between...", with no thoughtful analysis as to what that link might be...

Be yourself and find out what works for you. A lot of processed food is crap, but not all of it is, and it sounds to me like you are making healthy choices. If you are happy with how you feel and the numbers you are getting, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks, it's your body and your life. That's what I think.

Totally agree, find what you like that works! I eat what I want and keep track. For me it's more portion control, but it's showing me what is good and what isn't and allowing me to then make informed choices moving forward.