Healthy snacks for gainers

Options
jess1992uga
jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
Was wondering if anyone had higher calorie (around 350 calorie) snacks that are still healthy. I am in college and only have microwave, toaster, and magic bullet....but I have dining hall that I can smuggle food from. I am trying to gain weight as I recover from an eating disorder and am trying to not have to drink Boost Plus again, but unless I start finding a 350-370 calorie snack that I really like I am going to be forced to.

Oh and my allergies: any animal-based fat, high lactose (Greek yogurt....wish it wasn't so but oh well), and grapefruit. also don't eat red meat :)

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    kind bars (~200 calories but you can have it with something)
    luna bars
    larabars
    bananas/apples w/ pb
    shakes w/ milk, a banana, protein powder
    nuts
    seeds
    trail mix
    granola
    dried cereal
    hummus with ww pita
  • kcb1027
    kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe try roasted cashews or pecans? Cashew butter on a toasted whole wheat english muffin or stuffed in celery sticks, drizzled with a little honey - add a glass of full-fat soymilk and that should be right around 350. Almond butter might add a little more calcium and fiber.
  • jess1992uga
    Options
    Thanks. I forgot to mention I can't do soy due to thyroid disorder.
    I do love protein powder though. Still getting over fear of fats, but working on it :)
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you're making smoothies with your magic bullet (which is probably my favourite thing to do), add spinach, avocado, almond milk, banana, and any other fruits of your choice. The banana and avocado bump up the calories in a healthy way.

Also, granola is high in calories for a small amount while being really good for you still.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Thanks. I forgot to mention I can't do soy due to thyroid disorder.
    I do love protein powder though. Still getting over fear of fats, but working on it :)

fats are going to be the easiest and best way to increase the calories. you can do this!
  • jess1992uga
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Starting to get major sweet tooth too...like obsessed with frosted mini wheats. Any sweet tooth fixes that are healthy?
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if you want sweet things then how about having honey/peanut butter & banana on your pita breads? I bet that would be amazing & easy to get to your calorie goal with? pita bread + banana + tbsp pb + tbsp honey sounds like an amazing snack to me!
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    how about coconut milk yogurt also, since you can't have lactose or soy?
  • jess1992uga
    Options
    Not a fan of coconut or almond milk, but hey regular milk ain't too shabby :) Really like pita idea and that would get me to above 370 (150 pita, 50 honey, 110 banana, and 90 for pb) so that would be great :)