Protein Shakes

Options
What's the most weight have anyone lost with protein shakes and vegatables.:smile:

Replies

• dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    this is not a heralthy diet. A protein shake should be in addition to a healthy diet, to make up for any deficit. Protein shake and veg diet will be severely lacking in carbs and efa's, which both have their place.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    this is not a heralthy diet. A protein shake should be in addition to a healthy diet, to make up for any deficit. Protein shake and veg diet will be severely lacking in carbs and efa's, which both have their place.

True enough, in general. However, if one could will themselves to do so, you could live very well off of nothing but protein shakes and supplements, with the occasional carb-up meal. I don't know too many people who wouldn't go bat**** after a few months of this though.
  • keni88
    keni88 Posts: 22
    Options
    protein shakes and supps make up a essential part of my diet, but id really argue against being abe to sustain a decent healthy diet from them alone! plus the 'carb up' occasions would screw up your insulin and hormone levels.
  • a5hnk
    a5hnk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well if you kept a proper calorie deficit you could lose almost as much fat as you could with proper nutrition. Protein shakes are supplements for a reason, excess over a long period will have a negative effect because there are chemicals etc in these shakes, they are not made for excess-prolonged use.
  • laurenedenk
    laurenedenk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Would you reccommend overwieght women who are trying to slim down to drink protein shakes daily?
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I lost weight drinking 3 protein shakes daily. I ate fruit and nuts for carb sugar and fat peanut butter was good too, and cheese. 10 glasses of water. lost 63ish lbs and kept it off for 2 years up till now and I'm planing on doing it again for my last 30-50ish lbs depending on how much muscle mass I gain from lifting I usually have 90g protein daily
  • ajones4655
    ajones4655 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's great. I will try that.
    I want to lose 50lbs more. Iam at a standing point now. What did you do when that happened.
  • ajones4655
    ajones4655 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It work for me. You can't do it long.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    What? Here's the deal: you lost weight because of a calorie deficit, not because of the protein shake. Protein shakes are unnecessary unless you have issue meeting your protein requirement. I, typically, prefer food over shakes as I can typically get more nutrients from whole foods. That said, they have their place for those who are busy. Just remember there's nothing special about them.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    That's great. I will try that.
    I want to lose 50lbs more. Iam at a standing point now. What did you do when that happened.

How long have you been at a standstill and do you log everything?

If logging consistently doesn't result in more weight loss, buy a food scale and weigh everything that isn't a liquid.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    I lost weight drinking 3 protein shakes daily. I ate fruit and nuts for carb sugar and fat peanut butter was good too, and cheese. 10 glasses of water. lost 63ish lbs and kept it off for 2 years up till now and I'm planing on doing it again for my last 30-50ish lbs depending on how much muscle mass I gain from lifting I usually have 90g protein daily

Don't count on gaining muscle mass in a deficit
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need a CALORIC DEFICIT.... NOT a protein shake.

A protein shake is NOTHING MORE than a means to reach your daily protein goal.... just like fiber. It WILL NOT make you gain muscle... it will not burn excess fat. It's a means to reach a daily goal..... nothing more.