Best exercise?

Options
So what would you say is the "best" exercise to shred those lbs when you're just starting out?

xx

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    whatever you actually enjoy, and will be more likely to stick at!
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    squats.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Jumping Jacks! One jumping jack = 1 calorie! And they work all over, your tummy, arms and legs!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a best exercise. All work different points. A true total body exercise is the deadlift, but I can't see people darting out to do them too often!
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    anything that makes me hot and sweaty - lol at the moment its insanity :-)
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the elliptical, and I still use it for part of my workouts on cardio only days, as well as to warm up when lifting weights.

A lot of people will tell you to do weights right away, but given the amount of weight you want to lose, I think cardio and burning as many calories as you can is the way to go until you've lost a decent amount of weight. Invest in a heart rate monitor, and do heart rate intervals on the elliptical. Try 30 mins a day to start (it is very low impact) and you will see results. Good luck. :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a best exercise. All work different points. A true total body exercise is the deadlift, but I can't see people darting out to do them too often!

I like deadlifts :bigsmile:

Anything you enjoy ..but there are some things we should do more of like squats..not nice doing them but a great exercise :smile:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Running and weight training
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you are only starting out, I would suggest Walking. It'll get your body moving and get you use to exercising and having to plan your time to include exercise
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Samanthaskywalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any knee or ankle injuries, try jumping rope. You can burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time, and it uses almost every muscle in your body. Try walking at your fastest speed for 5 minutes, then jump rope for 1 minute, alternating for about 30 minutes. You will burn a ton of calories and should be able to lose weight quickly!
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any such thing as the 'best exercise', just what works for you. However when I started out at 252lbs all I did was walk for about a month, I walked every day, and gradually upped my pace and distance. Then I added in classes like Circuit Training, Kettlebells and Boxing. Now I don't walk as i run 3 days a week, and am training for a 10k.

Personally for me, the biggest weight shifters are walking and running, but the best for toning are Kettlebells and Boxing. I like to mix it up and keep my body guessing, just get out there and be active ;-)
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There is no *best* exercise...the best one FOR YOU is the one you enjoy and can see yourself doing over an extended period of time! :smile:

It is hugely important to mix it up and do different things over the week to use different muscle groups.

When I started, I used to go to the gym and use all the different machines for as long as I could stick them then mess around with free weights, unaware of what I was doing LOL!

I'm close to goal now, and I'm still losing, but I never set FOOT in a gym! I walk, I run two or three times per week (for anywhere between 20 minutes to 1 hour) I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd with 5lb weights (INCREDIBLE for fat loss and toning! And it is only 20 minutes long!) in my bedroom...and sometimes I'll jump on my mini trampoline, or do a yoga dvd, or do pilates workouts from youtube.

I used to do zumba once a week which I loved, but it was too expensive to keep up sadly!

Find something you enjoy and stick with it!

When starting out, make cardio your focus, then slowly introduce resistance training as it is amazing for your body and maintains your muscle so that when you DO lose the weight, you'll look good, and wont look 'skinny fat' xxx
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    whatever you enjoy!

but other than that... circuit training!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Perfect!

if you enjoy it and it fits in with your lifestyle that is the exercise for you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Logging food.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'm currently doing kick boxing once a week for 90 mins and then I try and do my workout dvd every other day. I cannot run to save my life so wouldn't feel comfortable being out on the street doing it! Any solutions for that at home?

xx
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    working harder and smarter than you did yesterday..is my motto
  • chez_b
    chez_b Posts: 14 Member
    Options

This!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    a) Variety is key. Two or three different activities you do throughout the week is net the best results.

b) Something you ENJOY! If you hate what you're doing, you will probably quit, and life is way too short to spend time doing something that sucks, especially in your free time.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    The Pelvic thrust is a great way to burn calories

tumblr_m8o8g4iZ7Z1rd2qw6o1_r1_100.gif

tumblr_lzvmyzuxJW1qmb7u4o6_500.gif