Flavoring Coffee

Options
StressedChaos
StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
I read about someone putting cinnamon and nutmeg in the coffee ground to flavor their coffee. I've never thought about doing this but it sounds delicious. Anyone else add flavor to your coffee other then cream/milk/sugar?

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I read about someone putting cinnamon and nutmeg in the coffee ground to flavor their coffee. I've never thought about doing this but it sounds delicious. Anyone else add flavor to your coffee other then cream/milk/sugar?

I love cinnamon in my coffee, tastes great!
  • mommajoans
    mommajoans Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    after measuring water in your carafe and pouring it into the pot (if you use the mr. coffee type drip coffee maker) put 1/2 tsp. vanilla in the carafe that the coffee will drip into. Place about 1 tsp of cinnamon on the grounds and stir them in. This adds tremendous flavor (and your home will smell amazing) without adding calories. You can add skim milk and sugar free sweetner and still have the flavors that suggared creamers give.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually put a few teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice in mine (the non-sugared kind) I think it adds a few calories but they're pretty negligible if you don't add sweetener (which I usually don't when I make my coffee this way). The best part is you can fill a big cup with half of the coffee and half skim milk, add a little maple syrup or brown sugar, and you pretty much have a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, minus the extreme calories and price!
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    Very uncreative, but I use the sugar free syrups from Torani. Love the caramel and french vanilla. Wish they made (or if they do, I could find) a sugar free pumpkin spice syrup.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    after measuring water in your carafe and pouring it into the pot (if you use the mr. coffee type drip coffee maker) put 1/2 tsp. vanilla in the carafe that the coffee will drip into. Place about 1 tsp of cinnamon on the grounds and stir them in. This adds tremendous flavor (and your home will smell amazing) without adding calories. You can add skim milk and sugar free sweetner and still have the flavors that suggared creamers give.

I will have to try this one too!
  • JUDYREP01
    Options
    I know this might sound strange but I have been "spicing" up my coffe with a dash of cayenne pepper - mixed with a bit of sugar free hot cocoa mix or... dash of vanilla, dash of cinnamon, dash of cayenne with splenda & cream! BAM! Delicious!!:tongue:
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    But decent coffee and enjoy the flavour.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love a sprinkle of cinnamon or a sprinkle of apple pie spice in my coffee!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Brilliant! I have added the cinnamon to the grounds, but I can't wait to try the vanilla in the carafe!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I'd like ideas that would replace my French vanilla creamer. I love cinnamon and nutmeg and vanilla. If i could find an answer to this, it would give me back 100 breakfast calories that i use on creamer with two cups every morning.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I sometimes sprinkle cinnamon on top, like a cappuccino. I used to love flavoured syrups, but in recent times I've been very aware of the taste of the "fakeness" of them and have given up. Even the sugar free ones still have a yucky tinge to them.

You can make a mocha by putting a teaspoon or so of drinking chocolate in with your espresso coffee, mixing it up and then adding your textured milk on top. Sprinkle a little chocolate on top to complete the effect.

I've been using stevia sachets for a less guilty sweetener when I feel like one.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you can find flavoured (real) coffee, there's very little sugar used in the flavouring process, vastly different to putting syrups in (these are essentially sugar based). If you're in the UK there is at least one online retailer that sells it, and I have previously been sent flavoured coffee from the USA, so I know that it can be obtained over there.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've never found flavoured coffee beans to be very nice - when ground for the machine, they just come through far too weak and not full bodied at all. But then again it would depend whether you like a good strong coffee too. I do, so it really lacks something. I've given up on flavoured beans completely for this reason.
  • livelifenow91
    livelifenow91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    Green Mountain do well flavoured beans.

We buy their Hazelnut Cream beans, and visitors always rave about the taste.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have tried putting cinnamon in my coffee, I just can't do it for some reason, it ends up making me cough all day! But I know a bunch of people that do it. I just use sugar and creamer :)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I put a spoon of caramel syrup in my coffee sometimes. Or use condensed milk instead of semi-skimmed, but usually...no, I just take it white.
  • richUK
    richUK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My mom just buys flavored coffee from World Market.

Right now they have a Pumpkin Pie Flavored Coffee that she says is just fantastic.
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually put a few teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice in mine (the non-sugared kind) I think it adds a few calories but they're pretty negligible if you don't add sweetener (which I usually don't when I make my coffee this way). The best part is you can fill a big cup with half of the coffee and half skim milk, add a little maple syrup or brown sugar, and you pretty much have a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, minus the extreme calories and price!

ooooo sounds yum!!