Implenon

Options
Hi!

I was just curious how many women out there are on/have been on implenon birth control and either gained a lot of weight and/or had trouble losing weight or who didn't have any trouble at all. I'm debating on having mine taken out because I've gained over 30lbs since having it put in and I've been fighting it the whole way. I just don't want to take it out if it isn't the problem. I would love to hear other women's experience with this.

thanks! :)

Replies

• scowper
    scowper Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i've never used implenon but i was previously on the depo injection and gained 5 stone in just over a year, dieted for 6 months and gained another stone. when i was discussing other options with my family planning nurse, she advised against implenon as the hormone mix is very similar to the injection so it would likely have the same effect on me. i've now been on progesteron-only pill for around 3 years, gave myself a year off for my body to adjust and started dieting again in January last year, and lost 2.5 stone by December. i've gained since because of a sporting injury but i now know my body is capable of losing, which it didn't seem to like before. only you can judge what's right for you but it's definitely worth bringing up next time you're at your doctor or family planning clinic
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    I've had it for 2 years and 7 months and have lost weight just fine. I've never had any side effects from any birth control tho
  • EmLikesToWin
    Options
    I have put on weight since getting my first Implanon too, though this may be due to other factors... I used to be a baker right around that time and was getting over a badly broken leg so I couldn't exercise!

I have had it for 5 years now. Started on my weight loss journey 5 weeks ago and not having any problems losing weight. 7.5kgs down in that time. Berth control is such a personal thing but I know I would keep trying to lose weight before having it removed if it were me.

Good luck!

PS Implanon did make my boobs huge. I'm hoping I start losing cms from my bust soon too :) Forgot about that. Maybe I'll be making the same decision as you soon?
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ive had implenon twice (inbetween) my two children. i think i did put weight on....but i think it was more to do with my lifestyle than that.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    but since ive changed my lifestyle ive been loosing weight. ive lost 16 pounds so far on it and im 5"2 so thats quite abit for me. but i have noticed since loosing weight ive had small bleeds i wonder if ny body is adjusting to my healthier lifestyle?