Taking it easy on the sick train

Options
When you're sick do you take it easy to let your body heal?

OR do you keep going balls to the wall because you think it makes you feel better?

I just spent 3 days with the flu, and exercise was the last thing I wanted to do.

I'm talking down by "being set on fire" last things I wanted to do.

What's your sickness plan?

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I feel that you shouldn't do anything, while ill, that you really do not feel up to doing. Let your body lead you to decide. I have not been working out myself this week because I have hives all over my body so I am not getting enough sleep. I feel drained.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I think if you have a fever, you shouldn't be working out. If you just have a cold, I would work out through it, maybe lighten up a little
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't workout when I'm sick because usually the only time my immune system breaks down is when I'm stressed and over worked. A few days rest isn't going to kill you. If you feel ill, have the chills and feel tired and weak then don't workout. You're body is trying to tell you something. If you feel fine but just have after effects such as mucus in your lungs or a runny nose, try a light exercise for one day only. If you get worse the next day then don't do that.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You need to get better before you start working out again. I think you make things worse if you try and do too much. I always rest anyway, you can get back to exercise once your well again xx
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My fiance had the flu once when we were living in apartments. He was convinced that going outside to help maintenance shovel snow, while not wearing a winter jacket was the best decision for him.

He's still alive. Although if the the cold and flu wasn't going to kill him, I certainly contemplated it.

I'm a big fan of the mantra "Listen to your body"
  • embercakez
    Options
    I stay home a rest. It's the best thing to do for my body and all the other people around me. No need to go in the gym and get other people sick.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I cam down with a cold last week, and turned up for my session with my personal trainer. He would not work out with me - instead he told me to go home and rest. He said working out while I'm congested is not a good idea and I need to let my body heal.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Resting right now as i have a cold.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Depends, there's lots of states that are "sick" and lots of activities that are "exercise" and some match up and some don't. I follow the "above-the-neck" rule - if it's just stuffy head/sore throat/mild fever, I do less intense cardio for longer and do bodyweight or resistance bands instead of lifting. I usually feel better afterwards. If it involves other body parts, I rest.

When I first started, I'd say, "I have two small kids, if I didn't work out when I was sick I'd never work out," but I've noticed getting sick a lot less since I've been hitting the gym regularly. The 3-yo has had a cold since school started, but I've stayed healthy so far (knock on wood).
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I do not take it easy. I keep working out. You can't let sickness be an obstacle. If you do then next week its because I got out of work too late, or I have a tummy ache. Learn to overcome that and keep kicking *kitten*
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling pretty nasty the last couple of days, and therefore took two days off to try to recover. Today I feel like I'm getting better, and I'm trying to work out again. My body isn't going to shake being ill overnight, but I feel like taking too much time off to recover is going to be worse in the long run - if I fall out of the routine, it'll be VERY hard to get back into it. My workouts might not be as intense, but I am still doing it again. Running nose and hacking cough aside ;-)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything. if I do I stay sick longer. When I start to get better I might take a walk or do yoga at home (don't want to infect others) but that's it. Better to just rest and go balls to the wall when you are better.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I ended up with a cold this week. Missed my workout Monday but wasn't feeling better by Tuesday and refused to miss another workout. Pushed myself through a pretty tough (for me) workout. Felt great all day. This morning was another story. I felt drained and more stuffy than I had yesterday. Decided since I worked out yesterday and felt better, I would try it again. I did a shorter workout today and feel awful. Not sure which I will try tomorrow. :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I take it easy, absolutely. Body needs a break, immune system needs to do its thing. I try a bit (going slowly, & with lighter weight) & see how it goes. Today didn't manage much, but it was nice to get to doing something.

(Just at home, btw, I hate when people spread their germs around and try to minimize others' exposure to my own.)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've just spent the past week with a pretty bad flu (also had a chest infection and was on anti-biotics), I haven't done any exercise and didn't want to. I wouldn't force my body to work so hard when it's already trying to fight off a virus.

I've gone back to exercising while still being sick and all it did was made me feel worse, now I feel it's more important to get myself 100% better and feeling good before going back to working out. If that takes an extra few days, then so be it, I'm in this for the rest of my life...
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If I have the sniffles I suck it up

If I have the flu or anything equally as bad I rest