Not sure where to put this, question about skin boucning bac

Options
For those who have lost a significant amount of weight, how did your skin react?

Did you have extra skin that remained loose and hanging, or did your skin retract and bounce back nicely?

How much weight did you lose?

I'm concerned only with my stomach, which is already a sight due to having twins just over two years ago. I've got some "twin skin" hanging down in my lower abdomen, and I'd love to say when I lose another 55 pounds it'll retract, but I am worried!

Is there anything I can do to help it retract nicely? Hydration? Lotions with collagen? Anything?

TIA

Katie

Replies

• rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My stomach is going back nicely and I have gained and lost 60 pounds 2 times in the past 5 years from pregnancy:indifferent: . I am using nivea Q10 skin firming lotion and I would highly recommend it. I also use The Yellow Stick 100% Cocoa butter (which is 99 cents). I feel like my stomach looks better after this baby than it did with my first because of the lotion. So I am doing something right! Oh and water:drinker: Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Katie
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    i also use the nivea lotion and i LOVE it!!!! but make sure you don't get the generic, there is a HUGE difference---i learned this the hard way, it's totally worth the extra two bucks! i also use the Brazil Nut Body Butter from the Body Shop, as well as plain old cocout oil---which you can get in the organic section of the grocery store, when it's at room temp it's a solid, so it's easy to apply and makes me feel like i'm at the beach!

i've lost 76lbs so far and while my stomach doesn't look as good as it used it, it's very slowly retracting back to normal....

good luck!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    So far my stomach looks like it's doing a really great job bouncing "back" (Um... not that I was ever not fat). I was worried because I've been so overweight my entire life -- how could I not have loose saggy skin when I get to my goal weight?

I've still got probably 60 pounds to lose, so I'll see when I get there. But I've lost 56 pounds so far and an awful lot of that has come from my midsection.

A lot of skin resilience is genetics and I read the younger you are, the better chance you have of your skin bouncing back (though it's a generalization, not a rule). I also think staying hydrated is super important in the skin department. Basically, the advice I've been given on this site is that you should consider it a miracle if you lose over 80 or so pounds and don't have at least some saggy skin. I'm doing this to be healthy so a little saggy skin wouldn't really change anything for me (though nice, tight skin sure would be nice). :smile:
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, so I'll make a point to keep very hydrated, get a good lotion and pray for the best!

Katie
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    well, I will play devils advocate here, I have done all that everyone has suggested. lotion, drink tons of water ( a gallon a day) lost the weight slow ( about two pounds per week the last year) and I still have nasty sagging skin. and its everywhere. So I can say that genetics plays a huge part I am sure. Also the fact that I was so overweight for almost 20 years. My skin was stretched out for so long, ( stretch marks too) that I dont think it will bounce back, sadly.
    I just think people shouldnt think that even if they do all that people say, its going to work, you may be let down in the end.

OR you could be one of the lucky ones!! :drinker:
  • miaangel345
    Options
    Yeah I have a lot of loose skin and stretch marks, I hate them!

I have a massage bar from Lush Cosmetics with Neroli oil, cocoa butter and shea butter. It has been working well!

I'm not sure how to get rid of the loose skin without getting surgery though, it's pretty bad.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    First, I do think heredity had a lot to do with it. Water, lotion, losing slowly might help some, but I also think your age,heredity and how long you are over weight do play a role.

I've always been heavy, AND gained between 50-60 pounds with each pregnancy. I lost my pregnancy weight, and more. I'm smaller than I have ever been and my skin in some places is looking great. Other areas, like my stomach and my upper arms to some extent, don't look so great. I have a bunch of stretch marks on my stomach. I have come to the conclusion I will NEVER look like a model or anything, no matter how much I lose. I want to be the BEST me I can though. I want to be healthy and look and feel as great as I can. Then I just need to accept myself and KNOW that being beautiful on the inside is the MOST important. We all get old and wrinkley in the end anyway.

It's funny, I didn't think I looked THAT bad in the stomach area until I read a post from someone who bend over to look at their stomach, while undressed and was horrified. Then I decided to do the same thing. HOW DEPRESSING! :frown: :laugh: Okay, my stomach looks BAD, REAL bad, when I do that!!!:laugh: That's okay. I'm feeling great and since I don't walk around naked all day and my husband is very happy with my body and heart, I'm good.

I think even slim people have issues with thei stomach after having babies and getting older. It's part of life I guess.

Susan
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better! I though a bikini this summer would be out of the question!!