advice on exercise to lose leg fat

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any particular exercises to help me shed flab from my legs. I do a lot of walking, I use an exercise bike daily and I have also been doing the 30 Day Shred for the last 4 weeks. I am losing weight on a regular basis with the help of MFP and I am without question leading a much healthier lifestyle with better eating habits and regular exercise. My upper body doesnt have much fat now but I am really struggling to get it off my legs which are heavy from the thighs to my chunky ankles! It makes buying clothes impossible as my waist is only 27 inches so to get clothes to fit my legs are HUUUUUGE on my waist!
I have lost a very small amount from my thighs and I can feel muscle below the fat/cellulite but I cant seem to shift it :(
Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to perhaps help me reduce the leg fat? Any help would be very very much appreciated! I'm beginning to feel despondent but I don't want to give up the fight :) x

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You are genetically programmed to carry/lose weight in a certain way. Unfortunately, it seems that you store more in the legs. The only thing you can do is continue to lose weight and reduce your body fat percentage until your legs have the appearance that you want. They should eventually catch up to the rest of you....it just make take a little longer.

That said, strength training is a great way to improve/shape your body. Heavy weights and compound movements (squats, deadlifts, etc) will get you great results.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Your body's fat removal systems follow what in manufacturing is called LIFO: last in, first out. As you remove body fat, you will see a gradual reduction all over, but in the biggest concentrations where you gained it most recently.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, especially about the lifting. If you hadn't added lifting, the muscles in your legs can probably get stronger and increase--the various leg muscles are some of the biggest muscles in the body, so once you start building them, they will be pivotal to eating away the rest of the fat.
  • m6rsy
    m6rsy Posts: 21
    Options
    thank you :) very helpful advice! I will have a look at doing more exercise to build the muscle in my legs and keep at it!