Tips for first race

Options
Hi,

I'm going to be running my first race EVER in 12 days. I'm getting pretty excited. It's only a 5K race but we all have to start somewhere right? I'd love to hear if anyone has any hints or tips for the race day or leading up to it? Feeling a little under prepared.....

Replies

• Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    for me i keep it simple, i dont usually run 2 days in a row so if race day is sat then i run on thurs, then off on friday then ready on sat...eating tips, do what you normally do if you eat a candy bar then eat a candy bar if its a banana then eat a banana...stretch out right before, go to the bathroom like 30 minutes before and watch out for the long lines. remember most likely you have been training for this so keep it simple and keep the same routines. i hope this helps (also i was worried about water but you should be fine because they have water post twice in the race) one last thing...when you start dont go fast because everyone is all together and hard to stay with everyone so either go in the front and win it or keep a good pace at the begining and then around the 1k people will start to slow down and thats when you can move up and plus then you wont use all your energy at the begining

Have fun
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys :D
  • bzeppetelli
    Options
    Some simple tips.

- Pick up your race packet the day before.
    - Pin your bib number on your shirt or shorts (front side) the night before, so it's ready in the morning.
    - Most folks don't need to hydrate on the course unless it's more than an hour. If the 5k is going to take you that long, find out if they have water stations on the course, if not, plan to bring water or sports drink.
    - You don't need to eat a lot for breakfast. Personally, I like 1/2C (pre-cooked weight) of oatmeal (not out of a packet) and a half a banana. I like to eat about 2 hours before the race.
    - Fuel after the race. Grab a chocolate milk and a bagel or piece of fruit. There should be tents setup to supply all this for you.
    - Stay relaxed at the start of the race. It's very easy to run much faster than your normal pace because of adrenaline. You are also mixed in with people that will have a much faster pace than you. Run your race, don't worry about the others.
    - Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the day.
  • spotdog14
    Options
    For me, I have to wake up early (since the races are usually at 8-10am to make sure I get enough fluid and take care of bodily needs so I don't have something happen in the middle of the race. But besides that just do your normal routine, make sure you eat before the race. I usually will eat a banana and yogurt an hour or so before the race and of course like normal suck down the coffee.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything new - the race will be new enough. Everything you do should have been tried or worn before. No new shoes, clothes, food or drink before running, warm up routines, stretches, etc.

Start under control. Feel like you're running a bit too slow - you can speed up later if you have the energy. It's a whole lot more fun to feel like you're strong near the end, passing people who went out too fast, and perhaps even speeding up rather than be the one crashing who is getting passed and not having a good time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Start out at a pace you think you can maintain for three miles. When you get to the last mile pick up the pace if you can. You should cross the finish line feeling like you gave it everything you have.