replacing my emotional eating

Options
2»

Replies

• Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    Yep I hear you! It hasn't been difficult to find other outlets but the first week of being accountable for every morsel that went into my mouth was sooo hard! I was crying because I felt like I was punishing myself for being overweight.... more than once. In fact my doctor offered me meds to help with the emotional connection I obviously had. I didn't take them and after awhile I got used to the more restricted diet and stoped obsessing about food... First couple weeks however I was even dreaming about food. Trying to eat a sandwich underwater was my favorite, It would melt into the water every time I tried to take a bite.lol

Its about being honest with yourself about what you want. If you are wanting a shoulder to cry on call your friend or mom, not ben and jerrys. Journaling, meditation, and keeping it real with yourself.

Good Luck!
    feel free to friend me if you would like some more support!
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT alone!!! Two things have worked for me.

1. I just don't buy large quantities of the foods that I used to "emotionally eat" with. My pantry is still stocked well, but just not with my favorite snacks or foods that I associate with my "binging" days. I tell myself I don't need to keep them on hand, I can always stop by the store and buy one portion at a time later as needed.

2. I try to get moving when I feel myself ready to start emotionally eating. Either working out or just doing housework or anything physical. It usually adds just the distraction I need. Or sometimes I'll set a goal: Okay, you can have the snack you're craving, but only if you do x minutes of x activity first...
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    I knit when I feel I need to eat, and if I really can't deal with it and that doesn't help I try to only keep healthy snacks around so if I do emotionally eat at least I'm eating healthy things.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    TALK. Talking to someone, anyone, when you feel that urge to eat (overeat, binge eat, compulsively eat)...will help. I told my fiancee the other day that he was literally anchoring me down, and he felt so good that he could help me. Now he feels invested in my personal growth, and is more supportive than ever.
    Talk. Talk. Talk. Or, get on here and support others with positivity.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of help here:

http://www.shrinkyourself.com/?v=60&bhcp=1
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    Right! This was huge for me. To stop seeing food as treats, as evil, as rewards, and supplements for my feelings. Instead, I now see food as fuel. "What will best get me through my AM workout?" or "I'm feeling a bit sluggish. What will best help me through this for a long period of time, unlike that chocolate which will only help for a few minutes?"
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • tocara
    Options
    wow, this is cool!

I think this can definitely help me with the "in the moment" scenarios and help me make better decisions
    You can find a lot of help here:

http://www.shrinkyourself.com/?v=60&bhcp=1
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I eat out of emotion and also out of boredom. For me I think its about oral fixation. I chew gum and it helps A LOT!
  • ahart78
    ahart78 Posts: 28
    Options
    Instead of turning to eating while your emotional or upset, try going for a walk or working out. I find that exercising is one of the biggest stress reliefs and I always feel much more calm after a workout and level headed.

Just discovered the power of working out when stressed/sad this week. It definitely makes me feel better, much more than a bunch of junk food!
  • kelseylou
    kelseylou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I made myself start walking! I have a lot of issues in my past that cause me to emotionally eat, which of course lead to my weight gain. Since Sunday, I have officially started walking 4 miles a day. We have a lot of sidewalks where I live, so it makes it very easy to walk. I turned my pedometer on and just started walking. When I finished, it was just over 2 miles so I did it again! It definitely keeps me focused, and I play KLOVE (radio station) through my iPhone and it seems to be over in no time at all. I am considering going to do it again before I pick up my husband from work, just because I enjoy the walk. I'd like to see if my dogs would enjoy it, too. :)

With that being said, I have to agree that exercise definitely helps when it comes to my emotional eating. Not to mention I don't feel nearly as guilty or bloated.
  • tocara
    Options
    I have just started to do this to. but like any new habit... i have to remember that it is an option... and to have some readily available (work, car, home)...

I do the same thing. I eat out of emotion and also out of boredom. For me I think its about oral fixation. I chew gum and it helps A LOT!
  • tocara
    Options
    I will try and do this next time. Sometimes emotions come on at odd times (like just before going to work)... and having a range of ideas i think will be useful! Thanks for our input =)

gum= no time to talk or exercise (like if i am on my way out the door to work)
    the website= if i am in my car and find myself driving to a fast food joint
    gym/ being active/ phone/ playing with dog= when i am at home
    pushups= at work! YAY baby =)

need to remember to do an overhaul on the pantry to...
    Instead of turning to eating while your emotional or upset, try going for a walk or working out. I find that exercising is one of the biggest stress reliefs and I always feel much more calm after a workout and level headed.

Just discovered the power of working out when stressed/sad this week. It definitely makes me feel better, much more than a bunch of junk food!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    right now I am in the phase of saying to myself "food will not make this better or go away...."
    sometimes it works...

but the suggestions about exercising is a good one... just even a change of environment probably would do wonders

This
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    TALK. Talking to someone, anyone, when you feel that urge to eat (overeat, binge eat, compulsively eat)...will help. I told my fiancee the other day that he was literally anchoring me down, and he felt so good that he could help me. Now he feels invested in my personal growth, and is more supportive than ever.
    Talk. Talk. Talk. Or, get on here and support others with positivity.

This is actually the advice given to my by a councillor/therapist.

If you are like me then you make plans to eat well, not snack, chew gum, read a book, go to bed early...etc., etc., etc. The problem is when you make the plans you are in a rational mode of thinking. You can grasp all the good reasons to stick to your plans, you have all the motivation and will power in the world. This is call AM intentions.

Unfortunately my AM intentions never seemed to match up with my PM reality. In the PM I have been at work all day, I rushed around to get kids pick kids and DH up from daycare and work and get people to activities. I may not have had time to eat a proper dinner or go for a walk and now it is dark and raining and Dear Husband doesn't want me to go out in the scary darkness. In the PM I am already tired and trying not to fall asleep as I put the kids in bed, but there are dishes and laundry to do, lunches and dinner to make for tomorrow, the house is a mess, I'm behind on a report at work, there are family issues, bills to pay, there was some nastiness with the nieghbour, basically life is going on. In the PM I'm in emotional mode, which usually has nothing to do with rationality.

Sometimes (more often than I care to admit) I need help to get past the emotions and focus on what is really important. Most of the chores can wait, I need to do my work out or get to bed and sleep. In my emotional mind I really, actually cannot do that. It seems like an impossible mountain I can't climb by myself, so I don't. I get Dear Husband to help me. I told him what was going on. I told him what I wanted him to do and how to respond and thankfully he is following through and being my voice of reason and rationality when I'm in my emotional mind. He is my lifeline. I really hope you have someone in your life who can be your lifeline. If not that you can come on here and get the good people of this communtiy to give you an occasional reality check. They are very good at that and most people are even nice about it.
  • porziuncola
    Options
    When you really crave a food, eating a small amount of it, mindfully, should satisfy your craving. If your craving isn't satisfied by a small amount, then you really weren't craving the food, there was something else going on. Mindfulness while eating allows you to really savor your food and start to eat with more awareness of what your body wants and needs.

Chips and pizza and cookies aren't "bad". Part of the reason people overeat is because they try to restrict so-called "bad" foods from their diet... The sense of deprivation leads to obsessing about the food and then totally overdoing it (partially because your body DOES need carbohydrates and starches... It gives you cravings so you'll give it what it needs. It's when you try to ignore your cravings that you're likely eventually going to overdo it... it's not because they're actually addicting. )

There's nothing wrong with eating a cookie or two. Eating an entire batch of cookies is not a good idea.

Often people overeat because they don't even think about what they're doing. They devour an excessive quantity of cookies without tasting it, often without even realizing how much they're eating. Eat a cookie and SAVOR it, and that will satisfy a craving, if you had a real one. Your mind and your body work together... You need to eat consciously so your brain can the send the signal that your body needs that it's craving is being satisfied.

Try to eat more slowly, attentive to your body's cues, and that will help you cut down your emotional eating significantly. You might like the book Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat, on the topic of intuitive eating, or some of Dr. Albers books on mindful eating. Both are really valuable areas to explore when it comes to emotional eating. Just practice slowing down, and being non-judgmental around food. It'll help a lot. When you give yourself permission to eat whatever want, and listen to your body's cues regarding hunger and fullness and satisfaction, you're going to be much less likely to overeat.
  • liketheseaa
    Options
    There's really no simple answer to your question, as everyone has a different method. For me, I go to the gym and turn my music up really loud or I sew... depending on my mood. The main thing is replacing the habit with another more positive one. It is not easy and I gurantee you that everyone who has faced this occasionally finds themself repeating the same pattern. Once you notice just get back on track. You can do it!!
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I bought a punch bag. Problem solved! :)
  • jailyn3
    jailyn3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not having the comfort/junk food in my pantry. If it isn't there, I can't eat it. When I grocery shop I avoid the comfort/junk food aisles - if I can't see it, I don't want it.

Good luck!