Where do you put your keys and phone?

Options
I know this sounds like a silly question, but I seriously need to know - I am a treadmill walker who is considering a 5k or perhaps even a half marathon at some point. So, for you outdoor runners/walkers, where do you put stuff that you cannot leave behind, like the keys to your car, or for safety reasons, your cell phone? Do people still wear fannie packs? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• spotdog14
    Options
    When I run at lunch, I go to my local YMCA and put everything I don't take with me in my locker. But I do take my cell phone on my arm band and a copy of my drivers license and BCBS card.

When I go somewhere to run that I drive to I leave my keys in the car, I just use the keyless entry pad in my vehicle to lock everything up.

As for what I wear, I just have an arm band that I pop my phone in and ID, I am considering getting one of these instead though:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-581614
  • embercakez
    Options
    At the gym my keys go in a locker, but when running outside I just clip my car key to my sports bra and my phone stays with me for music.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I usually leave my phone in my car when I run unless I have a cell pocket in my workout clothes and I usually dont. My keys I leave inside the door to my gas tank so that they are out of sight, but I dont have to carry them.
  • lnblnb
    lnblnb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have an Armpocket (http://www.armpocket.com/products/SPORT-20-LW.html)

I love that it fits my phone well, is water resistant, and has a little holder with enough room for my keys, an ID, and a GU gel if needed.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I run outside, I wear an iFit race belt. It has a place for two small water bottles, and a pocket that is the right size for a cell phone and my keys. It also has a place to attach a race number, so I can use it during races, too. If you get one of these, I strongly suggest you go to a shop and try it out there. They don't all fit the same, and I found that some of them bounce around. The one I have fits me perfectly and stays put during my run.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    At races sometimes my dh and kids come to cheer, so they would hold on to my stuff. My iphone goes into an arm band, because I listen to music when I run. Some of my running pants have a little zipper pocket in the back of the waist band (just found $5 in my cold weather pants that I wore for a race last spring!)

I had one race this summer that I went to alone and realized I didn't have a place to put my car keys. I just took the key off my key chain and slip it in my arm band with my phone. It was really secure there and no way it could fall out..

As I buy more running pants, I'm going to try to continue getting ones with that little pocket. It is handy to slip a little cash in and my keys.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I hang my keys on the key holders at the gym, but my cell phone goes in my bra over my right breast...always. at work, at the gym at the park everywhere but at home and sometimes there too.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds like a silly question, but I seriously need to know - I am a treadmill walker who is considering a 5k or perhaps even a half marathon at some point. So, for you outdoor runners/walkers, where do you put stuff that you cannot leave behind, like the keys to your car, or for safety reasons, your cell phone? Do people still wear fannie packs? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

I thread a baby's nappy/diaper safety pin through my keys and pin those to a pocket in my running bottoms. I don't take my phone to races, but if I did, I would put it in an armband holder and wear it at the top of my arm. It would be safe there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I take the remote opener for my car and put it in the little inside pocket in my running shorts. I have a cheap, dollar store holder for my phone that has a clip on it and I clip it to my shorts or sports bra.

But, really, you CAN run outside without your phone. And if you run near home and can leave the door unlocked or someone is home to let you in, you don't need a key.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    As long as the weather is cooler, I tuck them into a zipper pocket of a hoodie.

I did one in August and bought this awesome little wrist band wallet thing at TJ Maxx that I could put my car key (and my identification) into. I left my cell phone in the car that day though...no place to put it in hot weather.

My friend puts her phone in her sports bra!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I always keep my phone in my bra. Lol
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have an armband thingy for my phone, I wear workout pants that have pockets usually. Else, like at my walking 5k, I leave my keys with hubby and everything else in a top secret compartment in my locked stow n go van >.> When walking "off treadmill" or "au natural" I take along a fanny pack for the keys.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have an armband which my phone slides into. Keeps the headphones from getting pulled too. As for my keys...they go in my pocket usually.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    cell phone is my mp3 player, so it goes in my armband and that has a tiny little key pocket
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    My keys haven't left the ignition of my car in 5 years.

My Phone? It gets left at home.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    an unusual idea... I have one of those snap on sippy cup holders ($5-10ish from baby store or easy make-your-own) that is made to snap onto a stroller, But I have found that I can also snap it onto my bike, or the treadmill, to hold my keys and cell phone! Super easy and convenient.

and then there's always the bra- my standard, fav, easiest, always available stash-it spot! ( i even saw a sport bra with a sewn in pocket once!)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Here is where a fanny pack comes in handy, or a small drawstring backpack. As someone who camps out frequently, I have no shortage of small bags/pouches that I can attach to my body without hampering my workout.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have removed the key from the big ol' key ring and laced it into my shoelaces before. My best friend slips her iPhone into her sports bra so she can listen to music while she works out. I also have the little pocket in the back of a couple pairs of running tights/pants and can fit an ID and a Key in there as well. They also make some fairly effective arm bands that can fit these things. Fanny packs are iffy... as one poster already metnioned, if it doesn't fit 'right' then it just bounces around at your waist and can be annoying after a while. But if you find one that doesn't, I have seen many out there at races.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone runs with his/her phone, but as a matter of safety, please consider doing so, depending on where you run. I often run trails in the woods. If I were to be injured there, it could be quite a while before someone comes along to help, so I take my phone. Just use common sense on this one.
  • spotdog14
    Options
    But, really, you CAN run outside without your phone. And if you run near home and can leave the door unlocked or someone is home to let you in, you don't need a key.

I run with my phone just because I use Endomondo to track my course.