Suggestions for using spinach, mushrooms, green peppers, etc

Options
Happyoceangirl
Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
Hi foodies,
I'm not a cook but need to figure something out for dinner.... (the one who cooks around here said, "I don't have anything planned for dinner, so if you get a wild idea, go with it." I think that's my cue.)

We have a bunch of fresh produce - but I don't know what to do with it...

Here's what's on hand from the farmer's market:
spinach, zucchini, string beans, mushrooms, one large tomato

We also have onion, garlic, cheese around - there's probably pasta and rice if I look hard enough.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hi foodies,
    I'm not a cook but need to figure something out for dinner.... (the one who cooks around here said, "I don't have anything planned for dinner, so if you get a wild idea, go with it." I think that's my cue.)

We have a bunch of fresh produce - but I don't know what to do with it...

Here's what's on hand from the farmer's market:
    spinach, zucchini, string beans, mushrooms, one large tomato

We also have onion, garlic, cheese around - there's probably pasta and rice if I look hard enough.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Oh yeah, green pepper too. :)
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    an omelete
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Toss and cook all the veggies in a bit of EVOO till tender and add a can of lite coconut milk and some curry powder to taste serve over rice (yumm)
  • just2bfit
    Options
    Sautee large cut fresh veggies in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce then add a bit of angel hair pasta. A squeeze of lemon and fresh herbs are nice if you have 'em on hand.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    stir fry!!!!!!!!!!!:glasses:
  • Almost_lost
    Options
    I was going to say an omelette or stir fry but theyve already been said.

What about a vegetable Rissotto?
  • THuffers
    Options
    This won't get rid of all your vegetables, but maybe it'll help!

This is a recipe I LOVE to serve to my family. Even the pickiest of eaters seem to enjoy it. Feel free to substitute the Italian bread for another loaf of bread (though I think it's best with Italian or French) and ground beef for ground turkey, etc. Also, add other vegetables if you'd like! It's healthy, easy, and delicious.

Stuffed Bread Boat

1 loaf (1 lb) unsliced Italian bread
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium green pepper, chopped
    1 cup chopped fresh spinach
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste, optional

1. Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4in shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.

2. In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and reserved diced bread.

3. Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices.

Serves 6-8.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    omlette or frittata

eggs, spinach, mushrooms, peppers
    lil cheese on top, pop in t he oven, it's like a crustless quiche

what i also tried the other day with some left over pasta
    beat a few eggs
    stir in some cottage cheese

put pasta in a oven casserole dish, pour egg mixture over,
    stir in veggies (spinach, mushroom, whatever...)

top with some cheese and bread crumbs if you like

bake in the oven 35 til it looks set

next time i think i will fry up some onions and bacon to add to the mix :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    an omelete

I second this! Omelettes with lots of spinach cooked in are my favorite, and adding other veggies makes it even more delicious! Can use egg whites if you want to avoid some of the calories/fat/cholesterol from regular eggs.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options

This is a recipe I LOVE to serve to my family. Even the pickiest of eaters seem to enjoy it. Feel free to substitute the Italian bread for another loaf of bread (though I think it's best with Italian or French) and ground beef for ground turkey, etc. Also, add other vegetables if you'd like! It's healthy, easy, and delicious.

Stuffed Bread Boat

1 lb. ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1. Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4in shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.

2. In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and reserved diced bread.

3. Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices.

Serves 6-8.

Ooooooh! That sounds quite creative, not to mention fun. :) Just curious - what do you do with the bread you pulled out - feed it to the birds? :smile: And.... have you ever had any trouble with the bread getting soggy from the mixture? (Wondering what would happen if I added zucchini into the mixture - the water would probably cook out in step 2, right?)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    what i also tried the other day with some left over pasta
    beat a few eggs
    stir in some cottage cheese

put pasta in a oven casserole dish, pour egg mixture over,
    stir in veggies (spinach, mushroom, whatever...)

top with some cheese and bread crumbs if you like

bake in the oven 35 til it looks set

next time i think i will fry up some onions and bacon to add to the mix :)
    [/quote]

YUM!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options

Stuffed Bread Boat

1 lb. ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano

Serves 6-8.

Ooooooh! That sounds quite creative, not to mention fun. :) Just curious - what do you do with the bread you pulled out - feed it to the birds? :smile: And.... have you ever had any trouble with the bread getting soggy from the mixture? (Wondering what would happen if I added zucchini into the mixture - the water would probably cook out in step 2, right?)

Woops - just re-read your recipe and see that the reserved bread (from hollowing it out?) is added into the mixture in step 2. Gotcha.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    do you have garlic and onions? make your own spagetti sauce, and add cooked sliced zuchini and wilted spinach to your spagetti. grated carrots add a nice texture to the sauce too.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    do you have garlic and onions? make your own spagetti sauce, and add cooked sliced zuchini and wilted spinach to your spagetti. grated carrots add a nice texture to the sauce too.

That sounds great too! Will use it in the future. Yummmm. :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went with the stuffed bread boat and it turned out well!

We just got 2 dozen eggs given to us (farm fresh!) so the omelette ideas will come in handy. Thanks everyone!