Protein: Bar or Shake?

Options
I recently started a weight training program with a trainer at my gym. I'm going to be lifting 2-3 days a week and he really emphasized having protein after I workout. Considering I will be going to the gym early in the morning before I work I'd like something I can have on my commute to work. Should I go with a protein bar, shake, or neither? Should I eat protein before the workout instead. Looking for some thoughts. Also, if you recommend something, can you let me know if I can get it at GNC? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Mwass254
    Options
    Shake: because it lasts longer and tastes better and easier to consume. also *essential* to try and get some lean protein like steaks and chicken (any lean animal meat) best for building muscle.

the best thing (cheap and does the job) i found on GNC is the optimum nutrition gold standard whey. but just look through them and get one that has 1 - high protein measure 2 - low fat and 3- moderately low carbs.

tip - take the protein with milk or yogurt
    - within 2hours after the gym.
    - follow some bodybuilding channels on youtube , my biggest help was TheHodgetwins/twinmuscleworkout for a pretty unbiased review on everything and supplements.
  • Igneous
    Igneous Posts: 12
    Options
    Great question!!
    A Protein shake is better after a workout, before a workout isn't necessary unless you use casine protein which you'd take at night before bed it works at you body's digestion rate very slow usually 8-12 hrs. before fully digested. As far as your protein shake I'd recommend a protein isolate it's quickly absorbed and will help you build lean muscle, examples of those are isopure (drink or powder) or nectar (Iv'e only seen powder), there are many more sub categories too numerous to mention. Good luck.

p.s. check out www.vitaminshoppe.com or any other retailer i'm biased to the shoppe since that's where i go.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Most protein bars aren't much better than candy bars, and they are full of soy protein. If you want protein in a convenient chewy package, stick to jerky. Or just do the shakes.

The important thing is to get nutrients in within 24 hours of your workout.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I prefer powdered whey over protein bars as you'll typically get more protein for less calories.
  • embercakez
    Options
    I prefer powdered whey over protein bars as you'll typically get more protein for less calories.
    &less carbs, fats and sugars.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I prefer shakes. Since I'm lazy I usually stash one of those EAS Advantedge shakes in the car so it's waiting for me right after my workout. You can get a pack of 4 for less than $6, so it's not terribly expensive. However, I'm one of those people that pays for convenience :-)
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I personally have never used a protein shake after working out. Here are just a few links why:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa081403.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/post_workout_carbs.htm

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/02/07/post-workout-meal/

I personally use a PWO shake that has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio whether it's a lifting day or cardio day. That's worked for me and multiple of my clients with not only recovery but less muscle soreness.

Brad
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I like shakes. They taste better to me and also seem to have fewer carbs (may not be a concern for you). As far as whether to have one before or after a workout I've heard good arguments for both by guys who seemed to know what they were talking about (and looked like it). My cynical guess is it barely matters but for me I went with about 20-30 mins before because supposedly the shake gets in your system faster because your workout is speeding up your metabolism.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Post-workout, it's always a shake for me. I've tried several and am loving Jay Robb Whey powder. You can get it at/thru GNC but also direct. It mixes well (I use with water), has HUGE protein and very low cal/carb. I will also have EAS AdvantEdge (yes, that's how it's spelled - lol) shakes - they are ready to drink and also lower carb - those I'll have as a "snack" for a protein bump.

The bars do tend to be more in the line of meal replacement - higher in carbs & calories. The Zone bars are good and not crazy calories so fit my daily goals better. If you're looking a bars, just do a LOT of label reading - just because it says protein bar on the front doesn't mean much --- you will find a lot of those bars have sometimes as little as 10g protein with 23g carb! I'd rather get my carbs from fruits & veggies and my high fiber cereal, thanks very much. :)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Chicken.
  • MainEventMike
    MainEventMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Post workout shake as soon as possible after your workout. The shake is cheaper and will be less calories. I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein. When I can't use a shake throughout the day I use Pure Protein Bars. Make sure to eat enough protein throughout your day. Very important for muscle building.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Chicken.
    ^^^

Its always better to get your protein from natural sources.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to supplement protein? Are you not getting enough in your actual diet?

That said, if you MUST I would get a protein bar with quality protein, not covered in chocolate, and not full of extra *kitten*. I'd suggest quest bars.

Or you could do whey, blender bottle, and milk/almond milk/water. Whatever is more convineint for you I guess.

Again, I would try and incorporate more protein in your diet before supplementation.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. Chocolate always tastes best. Vanilla is gross. Shakes have less carbs sugar and calories. Taste better and are easiest. And per unit price are cheaper. I drink mine after. Whey really fills me up. My grocery store carries protein powder. Eliteseries whey. 18 dollars has lasted me months. If you do get powder invest in a shaker bottle. It worth it not have clumpy powdery water. They're like 3dollars.
  • mhurd76
    mhurd76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recently started replacing my dinner with protein shakes on the nights I workout, our trainers say it is important to consume the protein within 45 minutes after the workout. Also, to keep the sugar low in the evening-time shakes, I try to omit most fruits and instead use the chocolate whey protein and a couple tablespoons of PB2 (google it, it's the bomb!) or vanilla whey protein with a tablespoon of sugar free, fat free instant pudding mix (flavor of choice).

I also try to have a small snack before my workout, here are a few that I like: half a banana sliced with a tbsp of peanut butter, 10-15 peanut butter filled pretzels, small cottage cheese (90cal) and an orange, 4 slices of reduced fat salami w/ 2tbsp of cream cheese, or a greek yogurt.

Since, replacing my dinner with the shakes post-workout I have really started seeing the weight melt off.

Here's a great site with lots of shake ideas!
    http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

Good Luck!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Chicken.
    ^^^

I love getting my protein from the source.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    SHAKE.

ON Gold Standard
    Dymatize Whey Protein
    Muscle Pharm Combat Powder

Protein Bars=Glorified candy bar.
  • embercakez
    Options
    Chicken.
    ^^^

Of course it's always better, but a lot of the times its about convience. I don't have time to cook up some chicken right after lifting. I need protein asap.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I eat meat or eggs when time allows otherwise I have a whey protein shake. Most protein bars have a lot of sugar in one form or another...some are not much better than a candy bar. Also some have coatings that flake off and can stain your clothes if you are driving...

When I workout first thing, I have 1/2 a shake before my workout and a full one after. You could also try making an egg wrap that you could eat while commuting, or just bring a container of hard cooked eggs/egg whites.