Dealing with a coworker who always offers food!

Options
I have a co-worker who is always offering me tastes, bites, etc. of the food she brings in. I have told her repeatedly "no", and just recenlty, to please stop b/c I'm struggling and have my foods planned. She agreed not to ask anymore, then again this morning asks again! It almost a daily occurrence. I finally blew up a bit today. I don't know how else to tell this person "I don't want to try your food" without yelling, screaming and hurting feelings. Any suggestions?!

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Maybe "No Thanks."

You forgot the magic word!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I suspect this person isn't doing it to be mean, but rather it's her habit. Some people are brought up with "always share when you bring food". That's not a bad attitude - it's actually a nice, polite thing to do. It's just really hard for people who are watching their food intake.

Sorry that the temptation is ever-present. I hope it gets easier for you.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Take the food, and just throw it straight in the bin - they won't ask you again, especially if they are not listening to your constant saying "no".
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This is your decision and your journey. Just accept the fact that she will continue to bring things in. Be prepared to politely say no. You do not need to explain yourself to her. Just say no thank you and let it go. You cannot control what others do but you can control how you react. Food at work and cooworkers offering food is a difficult situation and it will always be there no matter what. so you need to have your plan of how you will respond, resist and react. good luck, you can do this.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    I think they are just attempting to be polite. Some people feel like they can not eat in front of another person without offering them a bit. Nothing wrong with that. This is a lifestyle change and this sort of situation is one you will have to deal with... without blowing up at people no matter how many times they offer. Just smile, shake your head, and say "No thank you." when she offers.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no. For some reason some people just don't get it. I had a co-worker who was very thin and ate a take-out breakfast (including fried hash browns), a huge lunch and would eat ice cream in the afternoon then go home and eat dinner. This woman never worked out...she always asked me if I wanted ice cream, etc. I always said no. I finally decided it just wasn't worth being upset over and told her no. She had been skinny her whole life and was around 50 and still skinny. She literally had no clue what it is like to struggle with your weight and have to be very meticulous in what you eat if you want to lose weight. She really didn't mean any harm and I would just hold up my raw carrots or fruit and ask her if she wanted some which she would reply "no":laugh:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Take the food, and just throw it straight in the bin - they won't ask you again, especially if they are not listening to your constant saying "no".

My thoughts exactly.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's annoying, but I think the best response is a simple, "no thank you". Saying anything more could jeopardize your working relationship; I don't think it's worth it.
  • kacollins1970
    kacollins1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have said "no thank you", "no thanks", etc. Just doesn't get it..
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Make up a sign saying "No" or a picture of a fairy cake with a giant cross over it and then hold it up if she offers you food? Depends on her personality, my colleagues would find that funny and not have any hard feelings :laugh:
  • RGO51
    RGO51 Posts: 2
    Options
    Apologize and explain that you have developed a paranoia about eating food if you don't see it being prepared. You haven't been in her kitchen, and therefore you can't be absolutely certain the food was prepared in a sanitary environment. Say all this with kind of an apologetic smile. It implies that you think she's not clean, and should keep her away for quite a while.
  • renamarie77
    renamarie77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Take em and enjoy em. A few tastes won't hurt anything. Maybe. lol
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you ask nicely repeatedly and are ignored, you need to get nasty. Don't apologize for taking care of yourself. I think I'd get mad enough after a while to ask when she was going to start bringing a loaded gun into work. Because if she wants to kill me, she might as well do it quickly.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Its not nice, but you need to more strong and tell her no, even if you have to tell them every single day. We have that all the time in our office and I always say no, because at the end of the day its all about my health and not anyone elses. I have my own snacks and the people who I work with are aware, they do ask me, but I alway say no.

Sounds like you are doing ok, but the only person who could undo it all, is you.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Last resort tell them it is a health issue without specifics you cant eat any sugars carbs etc whatever the offering if they bring in a grilled chicken breast you can gladly accept it do this a time or two maybe mention if I eat this and go into sugar shock please call 911
  • mzape85
    Options
    No thanks but i have a snack already!!!! and bring healthy snack and offer them yours.
    :laugh:
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. We have a kitchen in our office and there is always food. Co-workers bring in food and we are fed by vendors often. We also have a candy drawer(always full of different bite size chocolates from Sam's), cookies, chips, nuts, etc at all times. Its so hard because none of our co-workers diet and I've gained 25 lbs. Its a daily challenge for me Monday thru Friday.

Even though no one asks me to eat unhealthy, its a challenge just having the temptaion.
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is always a tough one, I just say no and stick to my guns. The reality is that these people don't have the same health and fitness goals as i do, so I try not to take frustrations out on them. They don't seem to understand how hard it is to maintain any kind of weight loss, or even to lose the weight. If the same coworker continually asks me to try their food, I explain to them that I while I appreciate the offer, I am trying to not eat sugar, too many simple carbs... whatever it takes for them to understand.

I can say it's not always easy to get them to understand, but I'm doing it for me and my health...
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Put a sign on your desk that says 'Please don't feed the animal". :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Perhaps this woman is your will power check and your NSV each day. You win each morning when you tell her, 'that looks good, but I will pass, thank you'.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't get too angry with her. I highly doubt she is trying to be inconsiderate. In fact, I bet she is just trying to be friendly and social. She probably didn't even give it a second thought when she offered... again.

I think this should just be a lesson in willpower for you. There will always be food obstacles, and part of a healthy lifestyle is being able to say no to things you don't need.

Don't take it to heart.

I have to say no to food all the time without people even offering. Every food commercial, every restaurant I drive by, every time I go to the kitchen for a glass of water. It's part of the journey to not letting food control you.