Would you be able to tell your boss he/she had bad breath

Options
Tricky subject. Let's assume they didn't take the hint of a mint or gum.

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Boss or not, not I wouldn't. I would just deal with it

That being said, my boss was wearing 2 different shoes once in a meeting. I couldn't help but bust up laughing and call him out on it. He took it pretty good.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    That depends.. Is this person the type to be in your face? You know, those people who have no idea what personal space is? They feel the need to be inches from you when they're talking.

How close are you to your boss? I was always pretty close with my most recent boss, and my employees were extremely close to me. We worked in a 10X15 space 8 hours a day, so if I had bad breath or needed to fix my hair they would tell me.

If you're not close enough to your boss to tell them a joke.. I wouldn't think you're close enough to be able to mention their terrible breath without it being taken poorly.
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I could never do that. :/
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    Options
    I would, I would want people to tell me if it was me..
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was in this situation and the guys breath was rank :sick: I don't know if he had a health condition but it really made everyone feel ill. Worst of all he was in a customer service position and had clients sitting in close proximity for up to an hour! I didn't feel it was my place to pass comment but I carried mints in my pocket and always offered him one which thankfully he always accepted. He was a lovely guy other than the breath issue.
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    I would only be able to tell very close friends and family about this... and just suck it up, I would feel to awkward... Then again I'm not very comfortable talking to people I don't know in general anyway haha
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd attempt to tell him anonymously. Imagine how you would feel if you had bad breath and no one told you. Maybe he just doesn't know!
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would. If I was the boss I would want someone to tell me.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I would, and I have.
    This is why I keep a drawer full of mints and gum in my office...solely so that I don't pass out from his stink breath when he talks to me.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'd tell his wife to tell him.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Only if he tried to kiss me.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I like the anonymous idea.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it.. I couldn't even stand up to my manager speaking Dutch while chomping on a juicy apple. It was pretty awful having to wash my face every time she had something to say :S
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would offer a mint, if declined.
    I would suggest a mint.

I pray that people tell me when my breath stinks... then again I carry a toothbrush in my bag.
    I like the feeling of clean teeth.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I would deal with it.
    However, if it interfered with my work, like we were working closely for a time, and I can't take it, then I would talk about it.
    I might say something like, "Are you feeling well?" And then comment on the bad breath as the reason for asking.
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Never in a million years. I'd just back off until he/she got the hint. If they don't, sucks to be me.
  • flamingo1227
    Options
    This happen at my office. Thankfully my bosses motto is if anyone ever offers you a mint, take it you need it.
    I often give my boss a mint prior to meeting with clients. When he asks if his breath is bad, I say better safe than sorry. It is a hard situation.
  • karynspeace
    Options
    Always carry mints - ALTOIDS - preferably. Take one out, eat, offer to boss. If refused, "ARE you SURE?" usually does the trick.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I would be able to tell him that, I mean, I had to tell my old Principal that, "His horse was trying to get out of the barn." So, that would be pretty mild. LMAO