Bar Food

Options
Anyone have suggestions on the healthiest thing to order when you're at a bar? I like to order food when I feel like I'm getting buzzed/drunk too quickly (I'm a light weight with alcohol) and I always order cheese sticks because I have a general idea of how many calories are in the cheese sticks. I'm not thrilled with the idea of eating fried food (reeeeeally trying to stay away from fried foods even on my cheat days) but I don't know what else there is that is better that isn't a full meal. Any suggestions??

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Just drink slower. All those bar foods are terrrrrrrrible. I bet even a salad from a bar would be horrible. I used to snack when I was drinking too, but I stopped because it's easy to go overboard when you're tipsy. You could bring a pack of crackers or something in your purse or just drink a glass of water in in between drinks to space your drinks out a little more.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Alot of bars near me now have a hummus app. Or maybe some chili or soup w/ crackers?
  • HulaCherry
    Options
    Ugh. Bar food. What a weakness!!! There's actually a bar by me that has an amazing veggie platter. I know it sounds weird, but I love it. But here's a good link I found for you with best and worst bar options. :-)

GOOD LUCK!!

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/best-and-worst-bar-foods

548355.png
  • jyt2573
    Options
    If the bar I'm at has chicken wings, I will order sides of carrot sticks and celery with blue cheese. I barely use 1/2 a serving of dressing (under 100 calories) and I love the crunch of the veggies. Plus, they are great to gesture with!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The most diet friendly thing to do would be to sip a glass of water in between drinks (which you're supposed to do anyway). I don't drink, and I don't go to bars, so I don't know how well that actually goes over in real life. lol
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If the bar I'm at has chicken wings, I will order sides of carrot sticks and celery with blue cheese. I barely use 1/2 a serving of dressing (under 100 calories) and I love the crunch of the veggies. Plus, they are great to gesture with!

I don't know why, but I find that hilarious.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can get some great stuff like pita and hummus or carrots and hummus. I've also had deviled eggs (not too bad) and pickles...
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    lol!!! Great to gesture with, that's awesome!!

I never thought about ordering just the celery they have for the hot wings and I like the pack of crackers idea cause I ain't gotta pay for um! Healthy and saves me $7.00....smart.

Cheers!:drinker:
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options

lol I did too! I'm going to have to steal that quote and use it myself. That was so funny.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    take your own pretzels
  • jyt2573
    Options

lol I did too! I'm going to have to steal that quote and use it myself. That was so funny.

My husband was making fun of me just the other day because I was shaking a carrot stick at him. I told him to behave, or I'd start ordering corn-on-the-cob!