Suggest a Heart Rate Monitor.

Options
I'm shopping for a heart rate monitor but have no idea which one to look at. I don't want to wear the chest strap. Please share if you have one and what you do or do not like about the one you have.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to do one with the chest strap then I probably wouldn't bother since it won't be accurate.

If you'd like an accurate one - I'd go for anything Polar - they get rave reviews around here. I have the ft4.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar RS 100, it seems to work well though it has a chest strap.
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want a chest strap??? I use a Polar FT4 and it is the GREASTEST thing ever! You don't even realize you are wearing a strap. If you want accurate data, you need the strap. Polar is a phenomenal brand.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want a chest strap??? I use a Polar FT4 and it is the GREASTEST thing ever! You don't even realize you are wearing a strap. If you want accurate data, you need the strap. Polar is a phenomenal brand.

I didn't want the chest strap just because it looks uncomfortable. Do you need to wear it under your clothes, or will it work if worn over a top?
  • alimay66
    alimay66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine sits quite comfortably underneath my bra, after a few minutes you forget its there, and its not noticeable :)
    Have the Polar FT1, cheapest of the Polar watches (i think) but does the basics, time, avg heart rate, max heart rate perfectly well.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, it has a chest strap, but honestly, once it is on, I don't even notice it. I have to say that I love the one I purchased. It does just enough for me.
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT7. The chest strap isn't even noticeable to me, really.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look into monitors with the strap too. They seem to be the most popular.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4. It has a chest strap that I wear under my clothes. I have used it for months now and actually feel naked without it during my workout! it is not uncomfortable at all and you forget it is there.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and love it! From everything I've read, Polar is the most accurate brand available. I was worried that the chest strap would annoy me at first too, but after you use it once or twice, you'll totally forget it's there!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Had a polar and really liked it, now I have a suunto and it's the greatest thing I own! The chest strap is not the hard plastic one polar uses, although I think they have a second option now. It's soft elastic cloth and you would never know its there. You would pay a premium for the suunto but love it's menus and computer connectivity, not to mention its style. Polar looks so heart monitorish? I know that's what it is but style counts. Bang for your buck, cannot go wrong with polar, they are good. Just my thoughts. For it to be worth anything though, you need one with a strap on bare skin.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it is amazing, easily the best thing I've invested in since starting my lifestyle change. I too didn't want to wear a chest strap until a friends here on MFP convinced me the chest strap on the FT4 was super comfortable......they were 100% right. Once i put it on I actually forget I'm wearing it!

I would absolutely recommend the FT4, it's really comfortable and as a HRM, has all the settings you need :-)