cooking an actual pumpkin

Options
I want to make my own pumkin puree, is there any typ of certain pumpkin to get, or any standard orange pumpkin from the farm market will do?

Replies

• austinl45
    austinl45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the name is - but the best cooking pumpkins are the really light orange colored ones - most of the time they are more flat shaped.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Jack o lantern type pumpkins are VERY stringy and not really good to eat. Here in New England, smaller pumpkins called "sugar pumpkins" are available just about everywhere and that's what you use to make puree, in pies, etc. I have also seen them called "Pie Pumpkins" in some areas...it will probably vary by region.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Look for the smaller pie pumpkins instead of the larger decorative variety. You can cook a decorative pumpkin if you'd like, but the taste won't be the same. You could also use a butternut squash instead of a pumpkin. I've made butternut squash pies that have tasted exactly like pumpkin pies.
  • pfftx
    pfftx Posts: 11
    Options
    You want something called a "sugar pumpkin." They are much smaller than the big ones meant for carving and are usually categorized differently at the grocery store. The rule with gourds of all type is "the smaller the squash, the bigger the flavor"--so pick out a small dense one, maybe 6-8 inches in diameter. Cut off the top, scoop out the seeds, peel off the skin (I use a knife, not a peeler), cut into 1-2" chunks toss in olive oil, and roast at 375 for 35 minutes or so. When it's done it will be soft and tasty--you can eat it directly like that! I have it as a side dish all the time. Happy pumpkining!