HOW MANY CALORIES PER MEAL?

Options
How many calories per meal do you find you eat on average? Unless I splurge and go out to lunch, I generally eat around 200-300 for breakfast and lunch each. Add in my 180 or so calories burned for my walk, this sometimes leaves me with 900 or 1000 calories for dinner. I worry about eating so many calories for one meal, especially at a time of day when I will be less active for the remainder.

On the flip side, I don't want to eat too many during the day and then be left with nothing when I get the "in front of the TV" munchies. It's much easier being hungry at work when I have stuff to do (not to mention the fact that getting a snack usually means buying one) than at home late at night. There is nothing worse than trying to sleep with a growling tummy. How do you balance?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    How many calories per meal do you find you eat on average? Unless I splurge and go out to lunch, I generally eat around 200-300 for breakfast and lunch each. Add in my 180 or so calories burned for my walk, this sometimes leaves me with 900 or 1000 calories for dinner. I worry about eating so many calories for one meal, especially at a time of day when I will be less active for the remainder.

On the flip side, I don't want to eat too many during the day and then be left with nothing when I get the "in front of the TV" munchies. It's much easier being hungry at work when I have stuff to do (not to mention the fact that getting a snack usually means buying one) than at home late at night. There is nothing worse than trying to sleep with a growling tummy. How do you balance?
  • bigred1
    bigred1 Posts: 31
    Options
    hi
    i eat about 300-400 breakfeast and about 300-400
    lunch with about a 200 snack between them.
    for dinner about 400-500.then another 200-300 snack.
    good luck:happy:
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    I eat about 350 for breakfast (fuller breakfast so my activites during the day burn it off)
    snack 50-100
    lunch 200-250
    snack 50-100
    dinner 300
    snack 200 plus any work out calories earned.
    Need my night time snacks so working out is my incentive.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I eat a big chunk of mine at breakfast, too, because I usually do morning workouts--can't afford to experience a sugar-low while out riding, so I eat most of my daily carbs at breakfast. Then a little less at lunch and a little less than that at dinner, with snacks in between.

I usually eat close to 400/500 at breakfast, 400 or so at lunch, and 250 to 300 at dinner, and then snacks--which lately have included milk to keep my blood sugar up because I've been having lows.
  • country
    country Posts: 57
    Options
    Am I doing things wrong? Please help? I have a 1200 calorie diet and I eat about 800 to 900 calories a day, that’s with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. When I workout I burn about 400 calories a day. My question is do I have to eat 1200 calories plus my workout calories? I am confused am I sabotaging myself for not eating the whole 1200 each day?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Am I doing things wrong? Please help? I have a 1200 calorie diet and I eat about 800 to 900 calories a day, that’s with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. When I workout I burn about 400 calories a day. My question is do I have to eat 1200 calories plus my workout calories? I am confused am I sabotaging myself for not eating the whole 1200 each day?

You need to eat some more! You're put yourself in starvation mode on that small an amount daily, especially with your working out. You should eat at least 1200 a day plus your exercise calories for the good of your body and health. Try to increase your daily intake gradually--add in some milk, nuts, cheese, stuff that is good for you but packs some calories, too. Keep up the healthy eating and exercise combination and you'll see a difference
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    On my ideal days

Breakfast 200 calories
    100 cal snack
    Lnch 250 calories
    100 calorie snack
    Then I have 600 cal left for the night
    So either I will eat a 500 cal dinner then have a 100 cal snack or I will just eat all of it at dinner

This is my normal routine unless fiance is away on business all night (usually once a week or so) then I flip the calories that I eat for dinner into my lunch or breakfat and eat lighter later. ( Just to keep my body guessing)

These obviously are my rough estimates too I don't eat exactly rounded estimates but if I try to follow this It keeps me from running out of calories.
  • supersaver
    supersaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need to add your calories burned to your total for the day which would mean 1600 calories in your case.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I normally eat about 1600-1700 calories a day unless I blow it :laugh: :laugh:

Breakfast and lunch are about 300-400 each, snacks are about 100-200 ea and I eat the remainder for dinner. I would love to eat less at dinner time but that is the only time I eat with my family and I know for a fact that my husband will have something to say if he only sees me eat a salad for dinner...:grumble: I normally eat the same things I serve my family but in smaller quantities.

:flowerforyou: