Logging workouts

Options
I have found it difficult to log the workouts I do on video. How do you log a jillian michaels video?

Also How do you log a HIIT treadmil workout. The "treadmil" workout is assuming you did the same pace and incline for the entire 20 min. suggestions? Thank you!

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to this too. I find the database sort of limited.
  • BattyMac87
    BattyMac87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I got a Heart Rate Moniter and I haven't looked back. It's a must have for anyone who wants to log exercise. I do bootcamp sessions which really vary in intensity so the HRM is brilliant for that. I also use it for zumba, walking, cycling and event when I do some at home work. I'd definitely recommend it!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The most common result I've heard is "Circuit Training," although if it's an all-cardio video (i.e. BFBM), maybe aerobics? When I did videos more regularly I would just count it as 100-200 calories burned and call it a day. Odds are for a 20-30 minutes video you won't be burning much more than that.

For HIIT, say you do 1 minute @ 6.5mph and 2 @ 3.0mph, and you do that for 30 minutes? Log 10 minutes of the former and 20 minutes of the latter. Maybe that's too simplistic, but that's what I do!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    and props to those who get HRMs--that's FANTASTIC. I'm just poor-poor. Like workout-clothes-from-Goodwill-poor. :laugh:
  • alimay66
    alimay66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the calories per hour calculator: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Put in what exercise you did, and for how long, and it tells you the total calories burned. You can then enter it under your exercise on mfp.
  • BattyMac87
    BattyMac87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    and props to those who get HRMs--that's FANTASTIC. I'm just poor-poor. Like workout-clothes-from-Goodwill-poor. :laugh:

I'm with ya sista! Got my HRM on sale for 14.99 ;-)
    keep your eyes peeled for one!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Log videos as "areobics, general."

If you think you're burining more calories than the treadmill database shows, you could choose "jogging" and/or overtype the default calories to whatever number you want. Better to error on the conservative side.
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also really recommend a heart rate monitor. I used to be quite frustrated, when the MFP database gave one number and the instructor on the video gave me another and my common sense gave me another and etc. I got one when I rejoined MFP (about 3 weeks ago) and it's been wonderful to just look at the number after a workout and enter that in. It's a good motivator, too, to push harder and not laze your way through a workout.