Ellipticals for the very obese? Suggestions?

Options
I have been hounding my fiance to let me get an elliptical for a few months now. See he bought me a mini stepper (at my request) and once I got on it, I found I could not do it for long enough to burn significant calories. He thinks I will give up on the elliptical like I did the stepper. Well, I finally convinced him but now I am scared it will be too hard for me to so (5'6" and 265 lbs) and that I will give up. I'm scared it will be like the stepper. Is an elliptical an ideal machine for the very obese? How long should I start out on one for? Help me ease my mind or suggest a better machine please!!!

EDIT: And please I need positivity, not negative remarks about giving up and thinking the stepper is too hard. i am battling this weight hard and I am struggling with motivation and determination. Support please!!!!

Replies

• carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 282 and only doing my elliptical for exercise 5x or more a week you can do it! Im only doing 20mins right now and then going to add more time.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It gets easier!!! When i first started at the gym, I would do 5 minutes on the elliptical and 10 on the treadmill, then back to the elliptical!
    Just keep it up!
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    It gets easier the longer you do it. I do the elliptical for an hour usually when I do it, but I brought my aunt to the gym with me and she could only do it for 10 minutes at first. Eventually you will work your way up. I find it to be much easier than running
  • scowper
    scowper Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i got an elliptical for home around 2 years ago when i was around 270lb and it's great. i would often find walking or jogging too harsh on my knees and ankles from impacting my elliptical is much kinder to the joints because it takes out the landing, the model i got also comes with a slot for an exercise bike seat so it can be converted into a stationary bike if you fancy a bit of a change. one thing i found when i was looking to buy was that lots of them had a weight limit of around 210-225lb so make sure you read the spec before you buy. 2 years on my joints are know strong enough that i can go out and run or power walk, but i still use my elliptical at least 3 times a week, particularly if it's a bit rainy. i'm now 231lb (joined mfp at 240lb) so it's very much a slow and steady wins the race kind of thing for me but the elliptical has definitely improved my all round fitness. just because you didn't take to one machine doesn't mean you won't with another. i love running on the pavement or beach, but always find the treadmill a bit awkward. good luck on your journey, i'm sure you'll do great :)
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @Scowper: Yah the one I am eyeing is a heavy duty one, with a weight limit of 325 lbs.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical even at my high weight of 255(5'3") I have muscular legs, but crappy knees and ankles and I could really put some burn in on the elliptical, while the dreadmill hurt my knees and ankles so bad I would give up after a few minutes. One of my friends who has very little muscle in her thighs and weighed a good 80lbs less than me hated the elliptical though. If its possible go to a gym and try one and make sure you like it. Also I know Academy Sports has models on the floor and they don't mind you trying them out. Go at a slow time if you are worried about other people watching.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I stepped on elliptical at 299 pounds and barely could do 2 minutes. Quickly moved up in time once I got rhythm down and was doing 30 minutes in a month. Much easier than the stepper and a geat workout with little stress on joint. You'll do fine
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is much easier on the joints. I recommend going as long as you can as hard as you can plus five more minutes (you can always do more than you think you can). As that time gets easier add an additional 5 minutes until you can do it for at least thirty minutes. As it continues to get easier then add more resistance and time (I can do an hour on level 8 & I started with about 15 minutes on level 1)... Good luck!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is actually any obese person's best bet. It removes the impact issues that heavier people suffer from when using treadmills and the like. You will find it easier to push yourself hard on it, as screaming knees and ankles will be far less of an issue.

I am currently at 231, and can easily force myself to maintain a 185+ HR on an elliptical, whereas on a treadmill, I can hardly keep myself over 150.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Honey boo you better get on that elliptical and work. Your blessed to have a man and the means to buy a elliptical for personal usage. I would love one of those at home. I would be a size 2 lol. I use the elliptical only when I started out at 320. Now at 245 I use it and mix more so with the treadmill while doing intervals. You can do it. Don't think that you can't. Whatever a lady thinks so is she.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! It's actually a lot easier on your joints than something like a treadmill or the stepper. And if anything, just do a few minutes at a time at first and eventually it will become easier.

Besides, the majority of your weight loss will be as a result of your eating habits, not your exercise. As you do any exercise more often, it does become easier. Just persevere in the beginning! Don't worry about being able to burn a lot of calories doing it right now, just get your eating on the right track and do a little bit of the elliptical and each time you'll get better and better and eventually you'll be able to do wayy more time on it than you could imagine yourself being able to do right now.

Best wishes in your journey! :)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I started at 265 as well I have lost 93 pounds. I love my elliptical!! The best investment in my health I could have ever made!! There are no excuses. The weather, too tired to go to the gym, not enough time to go to the gym, etc. etc. The elliptical is always there!! Start out for as long as you can and increase whenever you can. I put in a video and just go for it! I also like to watch the cooking shows. A fan is nice. do short workouts a couple of times a day! I can't say enough about my elliptical! Do it! Buy the best one you can. the cheaper ones are jiggly for big people. My husband and son now use it too! Doing weights is great too! Go girl you can do it!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are easier on your knees.
  • SallyBlake
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical!! I started my weight loss journey at 270, My husband bought me an elliptical when he realized I was serious about losing the weight. I planted it right in my living room and have used it practically everyday for almost a year. I have lost a little over 70 lbs now and I owe alot of that to my passion for my elliptical. It is very convenient and easy to use. When I first started I would only burn about 200 calories at a time (approx 12 minutes) and now I can burn 900-1000 calories in just over an hour. It really depends on how much time you spend with it! Having one at home will also allow you to break up your workouts into several intervals throughout the day. Make sure you get one with the correct stride length for your height though. You can do it and will learn to love it as well. Well I did at least. I have even taken on running that my elliptial helped me build up my stamina. Good luck!!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I say GO for it! An elliptical is a good choice because it's easy on the joints.

If it's in your home you can't have any excuses - it's raining, it's cold outside, I don't have a ride to the gym, etc. It's right there for you. Just start slow and do what you can, and then increase slowly. Don't try to increase by 15 minutes - it's more like increase by 1-2 mins until you know what's right for you. Also, it may take a while to find the right pace, incline, program and time for you. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll see some results.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I Just got my machine.. I could only go for 5 minutes and thought " I'm going to die".lol But then I go for another 5 the next day and the next and now I'm up to 7 minutes a day. I still think I'm going to die but then I don't. I keep telling myself.. Your still alive today and if you want to stay that way you''ll get you *kitten* on this F***ing machine and do your 7.lol Good luck! :happy:
  • latinspicefit27
    Options
    I was 255lbs and purchased an elitpical...starting out is always rough. start every other day or every day for 15 minutes until you can work your way up to 1hr. Also I parked mine right in front of the tv and during movies or shows I jump on and go....even if you are going slow, you are still going and moving your body. Your body will be sore and you may want to give up and resting is okay, but dont quit=) I had a photo that someone took & I looked absolutely horrible & I used that as motivation...I had it on the fridge and on the machine to remind me why I want to worout=) I now weigh 174 and I have never been a sports person/athletic, but ive managed to complete 5k's, 10k's, mudruns, my first 1/2 marathon this year along with other events...no I didnt win overall with a trophy but I won because I completed each event and I actually had fun=) You have to make it intersting and change it up or your body will platue. Im still working on my weight and I recently join 2 challenges to help me reach my goal=) Also groupon has all kinds of fitness deals from one day passes to one month worth of bootcamp or gym memberships....you just have to be willing to challenge yourself and step out of your comfort zone...even if you feel embarrassed. People are jerks and it hurts, but the fact you are trying counts for something so dont let strangers or family or friends bring you down. =) and good luck I know you can do it!
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Even if you start out at 2 mins a day...do 2 mins and work your way up. I am 5'7...275 and I do the elliptical for an hour doing intervals 1-18. I had a friend who could only do 5 mins to start off with and she just kept working her way up. If you still have the stepper continue to do the same on there as well. You have top start some where! I LOVE the elliptical and hopefully you do too!
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm lil over 300 at 5'4 and first time I did it I was only able to last 15 min but I just keep getting on it and now I can last an hour or more. So just keep getting on it. It gets easier the more you get on it.
  • psheph
    psheph Posts: 1
    Options
    I weighed 303 and now weigh 286. I go to Zumba, which is fun. HOWEVER, when I get on that elliptical, my knees feel good and I can get a good workout. I once lost 40 pounds using that machine. It is the BEST!!!