Joint Supplements

Options
I've had a couple people tell me about specific joint supplements they take for their aching joints (damn its hard getting old) - however I can not remember what the name of said supplements (another - damn its hard getting old).

Anyone recommend a supplement to help with joints? I'm starting to feel a little achy in the knees while running.

TIA

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Its called "running sucks"
  • XMan714
    XMan714 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    People may take a combination of chondroitin or glucosamine. There are many brands out there, and I can't really recommend one over another. The results haven't every really been substantiated. I took a Costco brand for 6 months and didn't feel any difference.
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine
    MSN
    Chondroitin
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The problem with supplements is that they don't work for everyone. However; if you are in the 30%, you win.

I take GNC Glucosamine/Chondroitin and MSM along with fish oil.

I tried the cheap brands at Walmart and that sort of thing, GNC works for me, the others did not. It take about 30 days of it to kick in. I know there are some other oils, but the fish oil is also goof or your heart.

Be sure to drink a lot of water as well.

I also run ion the high school rubberized track for my long easy runs to save my knees. And yes, I had surgery on one of them.

Oh yeah, and get great shoes! I just found some new ones with more padding than the ones the running store recommended (which I love!), and I am going to see if they will let me do a run in them.
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    People may take a combination of chondroitin or glucosamine. There are many brands out there, and I can't really recommend one over another. The results haven't every really been substantiated. I took a Costco brand for 6 months and didn't feel any difference.

Yeah, the cheap ones didn't work for me either. I had great luck with GNC.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Years ago I took glucosamine, it helped some but not enough. AND I also gained a quick 5 lbs. I have been taking Krill Oil (less fishy than fish oil) for a few months now and I do feel like my knees have been better.
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    I take Kat-A-Lyst Joint Therapeutics and LOVE it!!
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    fish oil.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil and a hammer nutrition product called "tissue rejuvination"
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My Dr. said to save my money because joint builders don't work.
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    My Dr. said to save my money because joint builders don't work.

For 60% of folks, they don't. But for the 30% that do, it's magic.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Best joint supplement is MSG. I buy it at the local tack shop. I feed it to my performance horse. I figure if it's good for her joints, jumping and pounding, it'll be good for mine.

Absorbine horse liniment is fabulous for aches and pains too.

It's all the same ingredients, and it's stronger and cheaper.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I take Osteo-Biflex and it makes a world of difference for me. It seems it either works great for people or not at all.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with supplements as they never worked for me. However, I can recommend something entirely different. Have you every looking into Chi Running? It's a simple modification in the way you run that takes a lot of the pressure off of the knees and other joints. This method helps you harness your momentum better as well. I don't run, but the avid marathon runners I work with swear it's like magic. You can learn more at www.chirunning.com

HTH
  • RobAsRx
    RobAsRx Posts: 17
    Options
    I use Glucosimine, but I'm very interested in Antler Velvet (Deer or Elk). I've read that it helps in similar ways to Glucosimine. It's traditional Chinese medicine used for over 2,000 years. It is supposed to have the same benefits of Glucosimine and the animal does not have to be terminated to produce it since the antlers are harvested annually. Deer lose their antlers each year naturally. So Antler Velvet is harvested by removing the antlers at the time of the animal's natural cycle of losing the antlers. Glucosimine is primarily made of shellfish and shark or bovine cartilige. I've read a lot about the deer antler velvet and I'm tempted to try it out. Please make sure to do your research before choosing it as a supplement as some variations (depending on what is added to it) may contain substances that are banned in a number of sporting events.

Does anyone have any experience with Deer Antler Velvet?