Eating Less amounts more times daily

Options

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Some days I have two big meals, other days I snack throughout the whole damn day.. I try to not restrict myself. If I feel like eating, I eat. If I don't feel like eating, I won't. I'll just make up for it by eating more at dinner when I'm actually hungry.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Excluding those people using this site for accountability, what do the 40% of Americans who are obese do when they only eat 2-3 1,000 calorie meals (read fast food) a day.

They burn a portion of those calories and store any excess over time as fat.
    What happens to the calories they don't burn because they are couch potatoes? Does their metabolism just utilze what they eat over time?

Everyone's metabolism utilizes it over time regardless of feeding frequency. The same thing would happen in your example if they were eating the same 3000 calories partitioned into 6 meals of 500kcal each.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Excluding those people using this site for accountability, what do the 40% of Americans who are obese do when they only eat 2-3 1,000 calorie meals (read fast food) a day. What happens to the calories they don't burn because they are couch potatoes? Does their metabolism just utilze what they eat over time?

It's simple. If they are in calorie surplus they store them as fat, thus why they are obese. But the reason they are obese is the caloric surplus not the frequency of eating. They cycle goe something like. Eat a big meal, store what you don't need to use immediatly, don't eat for awhile, oxidize the energy you stored after eating. If you are in surplus, you don't oxidize all of it. If you are at maintenance, you do. If you are in deficit you oxidize all of it plus some previously stored fat.

This is going on with all of us 24 hours per day.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    It actually works for me...as long as I'm actually in town. I think it keeps your metabolism up, and you feel better since you literally cannot get hungry when you eat that often.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Excluding those people using this site for accountability, what do the 40% of Americans who are obese do when they only eat 2-3 1,000 calorie meals (read fast food) a day. What happens to the calories they don't burn because they are couch potatoes? Does their metabolism just utilze what they eat over time?

This is rather simple. When you sustain a vlcd for an extended period of time, your body adapts. And starts to become less effective at burning calories. Also, it catabolizes lean body mass to create energy. So what happens when you splurge here and there and eat 3000 calories and on average you only burn 1200 calories due to adaptation? You now create a calorie surplus and gain a lot of weight.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    The six times a day eating (or 4+ etc.) craze has been proven not to have any difference over eating once a day.

What is your source? link? Eating often increases your metabolism, that's why they say to eat breakfast to break the fast your body is doing and jumpstart your metabolism for the day.

I eat four 400 calories meals a day, snack being the fourth meal split up into 4 parts.
  • teejay2039
    Options
    Which "experts" would those be?

I know you didn't ask me, and no i don't follow this advice, but it IS still being disseminated out there in internet land......

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-1-day-1.html

***Eat every three hours (usually 5 or 6 times a day, depending on when you wake up)! It's the secret to speeding up your metabolism. Be on time!***
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    On a routine day, I eat 4 times.
    But I can be flexible on non-routine days. The main focus is don't go over my calorie budget.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat small meals and have snacks most of the time, but I don't get upset over days when that doesn't happen. I just feel more energetic and balanced when I eat smaller meals, but more frequently. I think its one of those personal preference things. I don't want to argue science as to whether or not you get better calorie burn and metabolism doing frequent meals, I just know it keeps me from getting hungry and giving in to cravings for food that doesn't meet my goals.
  • mmapags
    Options
    It actually works for me...as long as I'm actually in town. I think it keeps your metabolism up, and you feel better since you literally cannot get hungry when you eat that often.

It has no metabolic benefit. It just helps you with compliance. It does for some and doesn't for others. If it works for you, by all means do it.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat my three regular meals a day. However I also have 3 snacks in there as well. I always make sure I have a protien or a protein and a carb for a snack. Just something small like apple and peanutbutter or almonds that type of thing. it works out that I usually don't go more than three hours without having something it does not have to be exact. I lose weight better this way because I don't have the sugar spikes. Not hard only if you make it
  • mmapags
    Options
    Which "experts" would those be?

I know you didn't ask me, and no i don't follow this advice, but it IS still being disseminated out there in internet land......

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-1-day-1.html

***Eat every three hours (usually 5 or 6 times a day, depending on when you wake up)! It's the secret to speeding up your metabolism. Be on time!***

I understand that this myth get's perpetuated and bobybuilding.com is one of the main proponents. Doesn't make it true.
  • joskrin4
    joskrin4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for your life...I come from a family where blood sugar issues tend to be the thing we deal with, so eating a bit (200 cal or less is my usual goal) every 2-2.5 hrs and then having a regular dinner with my family works great for me. I also work from home though, and when I am out will bring a small snack with me. This isn't the life for every one, but I like it better than going into a meal so hungry that I can't tell when I hit full because I waited until it was a "proper meal time" for every one else.
  • mmapags
    Options
    The six times a day eating (or 4+ etc.) craze has been proven not to have any difference over eating once a day.

What is your source? link? Eating often increases your metabolism, that's why they say to eat breakfast to break the fast your body is doing and jumpstart your metabolism for the day.

I eat four 400 calories meals a day, snack being the fourth meal split up into 4 parts.

It was in an earlier post but here it is again. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Eating more often doesn't increase metabolism. You get the same TEF (Thermic Effect of Food) no matter when or how much you eat. Also, breakfast doesn't "jump start" your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't need jumpstarting. It's humming along 24 hours per day. This is all oft repeated but it is all myth.

If eating more often helps keep you on plan, great! That is why it's working. For me, eating more often keeps me focused on food and, wel.... eating more often. So, I can't stay on plan doing it. I know. I've tried it. It's all preference and compliance. Not metabolic benefit at all.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Simple science really... there are numerous studies out there but to put is simply:

When we eat our blood insulin levels increase and higher insulin levels is the signal that tells our body to store energy.

This is why frequent feeding (eating often every two to three hours) leaves us with high insulin levels…this is the reason why a lot of people become and stay fat…because they follow the advice to eat 5-6 meals a day from backwards personal trainers / dieticians etc. who blindly follow the advice of food companies looking to sell the next health food and supplement.

Different foods have a greater affect on this so carbs will have a greater increase then say protein and different types such as simple carbs will raise insulin quicker and higher but it will drop back down quicker.

Time of day also is important as we are more insulin sensitive in the morning after fasting overnight whilst asleep so it would be better to eat fat and protein for breakfast rather than cereal and eat carbs later in the day / evening.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I'm not sure if this actually does good for your metabolism or not... but I can say that it helps me!
    Eating less food more often causes me to feel full (well, satisfied) pretty much all of the time!
    This also causes me to want less food when it's time to eat, and to crave less food, as I feel satisfied...

Can't hurt to try it for a week, right??
  • TBoom915
    TBoom915 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2-3 hours when I'm at work during the weekend. The weekend is typically 2 or 3 bigger meals. Works for me.

^^^This right here!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This method works well for me because I have low blood sugar. I get wacky (like cranky and stupid) if I don't eat often. So I eat smaller meals and lots of snacks instead of focusing on 3 big meals or whatever. Give it a try, see what works for you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Also note previous replies in this thread with links to research that refutes the idea that meal frequency effects diet induced thermogenesis.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    During the week I eat more times a day mainly because I'm not always guaranteed to have my lunch when I want it due to my job. I usually eat breakfast at around 8:30 am, snack around 11 am, lunch around 1 pm, snack around 3 pm and then dinner around 6 pm or so. If I don't eat my snack in the morning and something happens at work it could potentially be 5-7 hours before I eat again.....and I've missed lunch a few times so I know it happens!!! Much easier for me to eat every couple of hours just in case.

On the weekends I eat 2-3 times a day in bigger portions because that is what works in my family's schedule. It's not about increasing metabolism or anything....it's about what works for me on each given day.