Fast Food

Options
I need some good fast food options. A lot of people at my work eat out a lot and it is easier and faster. I know it is better to bring lunch, but I think there are a lot of people out there that want to know the best fast food restaurants and the menu choices. Come on guys, you know you can eat out and still lose weight. It's about self control and making good choices.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the websites of the restaurants your coworkers frequent and making a list of options that fit your calorie goals. Almost every chain restaurant has a list of nutrition info on their site.

Good luck!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I avoid this at all costs. If I do have to eat lunch out I go exclusively to subway and get a 6 inch. If find its much easier to bring your lunch.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm working full time I find ways to work fast food into my calories. It's a matter of checking out the nutritionals online first. I have more issue with what it does to my bank account than anything.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat out at least 2 times a week. Here is a site I use http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/weight-watchers-points.html You can look up just about any resturant here for the calories. It helps if you plan ahead
  • nooodll
    nooodll Posts: 38
    Options
    I agree with looking at their websites for nutritional data. Then...print them out so you have them with you. I find that if I can plan in advance, I usually stick to my decision and don't waver once I'm standing there ready to order. Put it in your fitness planner ahead of time and that usually helps me, too. I know how many calories I've planned and stick to it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I need some good fast food options. A lot of people at my work eat out a lot and it is easier and faster. I know it is better to bring lunch, but I think there are a lot of people out there that want to know the best fast food restaurants and the menu choices. Come on guys, you know you can eat out and still lose weight. It's about self control and making good choices.

Five guys, In and Out if you have one by you, shake shack, chipotle, pei wei
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I avoid this at all costs. If I do have to eat lunch out I go exclusively to subway and get a 6 inch. If find its much easier to bring your lunch.

I think this is bad advice. Are you going to avoid fast food for the rest of your life? Learning how to eat right and eat for a lifetime, doesn't include avoiding ANYTHING. If you don't like it, that's one thing, but to avoid it because you're "on a diet"? That's not a lifestyle change.

Edited for spelling mistake...
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

I avoid it too and not because I'm too cool or anything but because my body just rejects it now and I throw up. Tried it twice since being on a clean diet with the same negative results so I'd rather spend that money on something that stays in my stomach.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Even though you may be able to find some within a healthy range you still need to watch out for sodium overload. I can't get over the amount of sodium found in fast food. I would maybe pick a day or two to eat out but remember to look at sodium not just fats and calories. :happy:
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You can check it this website...they have tons of Restaurant listings.

http://www.calorieking.com/
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The truth is that fast food is rarely healthy. It's always calorie dense, sodium heavy, and actually usually tastes little better than a ball of grease. My strategy: I cook my meals in advance once or twice a week and then bring them to work. In less time than it takes to make a burger run, I can have my food warmed in the microwave or even on the stove.

Yes, you can eat out and lose weight; but why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be? Home cooking is almost always healthier and actually less financially burdensome than going out to eat. It's all a matter of choice.
  • Peggb
    Peggb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    look and log before you go - that way you know the cals and what you are going to eat and won't be swayed....look up the stuff others are going to eat and see how many cals are in it - that will stop you from eating what they eat if its really bad stuff.

I do subway - veg or turkey on wheat there...burger king has a veg burger thats good and a grilled chicken saladwhich or salads...just watch the cheese mayo and dressings on stuff - also - if you have panda express they have string bean chicken or mushroom chicken or broc beef that is lower in cals there - you can get a serving of them (about 6 ozs) to eat itself as a meal or you can do a bowl where they will put that and then have them do 1/2 chow mein and 1/2 vegs. It works out nicely.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What is available around you?
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I think this is bad advice. Are you going to avoide fast food for the rest of your life? Learning how to eat right and eat for a lifetime, doesn't include avoiding ANYTHING. If you don't like it, that's one thing, but to avoid it because you're "on a diet"? That's not a lifestyle change.

I like that idea. I always have to think outside the box or preplan. We have a monthly lunch meeting. We go in a rotation, so when it's my turn, I try to find a restaurant with healthier options. If someone else picks, I jump on the internet and start surfing for options.

On my own, I tend to go to Subway, Chipolte and Panera if I need to go out. Panera is the hardest because I love their bread and sweets. :( But I try not to go out, mostly because it's not the best thing financially when I can go grocery shopping and feed myself for a week versus one or maybe two meals.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I eat out all the time and am able to stick to my calorie restraints easily. The issue is with sodium. I try to balance it out with home preparred meals. You can be good at Noodles & Company, Fuzzy's tacos, and Panda Express. I don't list burger places, because I am unable to eat fast food burgers- something in them (the pink slime stuff maybe) makes me very sick to my stomach. Even Taco Bell or the burger places have salads. There are options- you just have to do your research. I don't know if you'd consider Panera to be fast food, but in Missouri they have the calories on the menu!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I think this is bad advice. Are you going to avoid fast food for the rest of your life? Learning how to eat right and eat for a lifetime, doesn't include avoiding ANYTHING. If you don't like it, that's one thing, but to avoid it because you're "on a diet"? That's not a lifestyle change.

Edited for spelling mistake...

Its not bad advice, I did avoid it before and I'll avoid it the rest of my life. On occasion is fine, but to do so every day I don't think is smart. There are many reasons to avoid eating out besides health like financial reasons, convenience, etc. Maybe when I go to maintenance I'll do something other than subway, but I'll continue to avoid eating out.
  • acidglaze
    acidglaze Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You just have to really think about what you're ordering too. A grilled chicken sandwich is a staple at most fast food places, but ordering it without any mayo or other sauce can really save those calories.

I know several people that will opt for a kids meal at fast food lunches also, since the portion will already be smaller.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello

I too try to avoid fast food. If I have to eat it, I try to check the nutritional data beforehand online. If I can't do that, I usually follow a few pointers and don't end up so bad:

Don't get the plus size meal
    Remember fast food cheese if full of saturated fats and calories
    Prefer chicken over ground beef
    Prefer salad as a side dish instead of fries
    No regular soda
    Be mindful of dressing for salad
    Avoid deep-fried and breaded stuff
    Eat as slowly as possible (i find it helps me feel full sooner)

Fast food isn't the first healthy choice but it isn't necesarily the devil. Subway has some very healthy choices, and even McD's has some items that aren't so bad (the grilled chicken sandwich is under 500kcal and quite filling)
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a bind and have to grab something on my way I have a few staples. Also, I recommend looking up all the places you will frequent, print out copies of the nutritionals and keep them in your desk or where you work. That way in a pinch you can always check before going out. I used to recomment leaving them on your computer but one day the power was out and I was at a loss.
    this is just a quick list for me. I have a meal for nearly every restaurant near me but these are what come to mind first.

Chick-Fil-A - southwest chargrilled salad w/ light italian dressing OR grilled chicken nuggets w/ side salad OR chicken noodle soup
    Subway - buffalo chicken salad (not a sub, I don't want to waste my cals on bread there usually)
    Wendy's - small chili and side salad
    Popeyes - Louisana Lueax (sp) chicken tender meal (grilled chicken tenders, green beans, diet coke)
    McDonald's - Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad, get the light italian instead of the ranch dressing tho
    Mexican Restaurants - Vegetarian or Chicken Fajitas, get extra veggies in place of rice & refried beans or get extra lettuce and tomato. Mix all of it together with the salsa and skip the tortilla. Just use a fork
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Order a kids meal then only eat half of it.

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group