veggie jello

Options
godblessourhome
godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
we ate at my husband's boss' house tonight and one of the sides was a lemon/lime (? it was mostly clear with a neon yellowish tint) jello mixed with shredded carrots, green peppers, tomatos, cucumbers and celery and possibly some other veggies. it was surprisingly delicious. anybody have a similar recipe?

Replies

• Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ooops - I entered this thread thinking there was some vegetarian alternative to jello and was really excited. :)

But, for non-vegetarians, I did find some interesting recipes on cooks.com, such as http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1632,150164-247198,00.html
  • angelarose765
    Options
    Hmmmm, sound like it would be a great way to get my kids to eat veggies (and I must admit, myself as well!) I buy veggie juices but I would prefer the "roughage" value of eating them whole.

I've got to know too now!

GET THAT RECIPE!!!
  • angelarose765
    Options
    Hmmmm, sound like it would be a great way to get my kids to eat veggies (and I must admit, myself as well!) I buy veggie juices but I would prefer the "roughage" value of eating them whole.

I've got to know too now!

GET THAT RECIPE!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    ooops - I entered this thread thinking there was some vegetarian alternative to jello and was really excited. :)

Ever try agar agar?

Ingredients:

1 quart fruit juice
    4-5 tablespoons agar-agar flakes or 4 teaspoon agar-agar, powder
    1 pinch sea salt
    chopped fruit

Directions:

1 Place liquid, salt and agar-agar into saucepan, stir to dissolve the flakes.
    2 Bring to a boil, reduce flame and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
    3 Place any additional ingredients (fruits, etc) into a shallow bowl and pour hot liquid overall.
    4 Chill until jelled.

I've never tried it, but I just may...if I can find out what agar agar is, and where to get it. lol
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    For the OP:

VEGETABLE JELLO SALAD

2 pkg. lemon or lime Jello
    3 1/2 c. water
    2 tsp. vinegar
    1/2 c. salad dressing
    1 c. grated carrots
    1 c. chopped cabbage
    1 sm. onion, chopped
    Salt and pepper

Dissolve Jello in half hot water, then add remainder of water cold with the vinegar. Blend in salad dressing. Add vegetables. Pour in bowl or mold and chill.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Emes makes a vegan jello alternative - as does a brand called Natural Desserts!