Running with asthma

Options
With the change in season, I've notice my breathing has really been difficult these days, let alone trying to exercise with asthma exertion. I notice that the first half of my run is much harder for me to control my breathing than the last half. Maybe my body/lungs just need some exertion to prepare for the run; hard breathing before lots of cardio. So I did some reseach whish confirmed my theory. I thought I would share some information that I found out about running with asthma;

1. Make sure what you have is asthma, if it is take the meds as prescribed. Inhalers can also be used as a preventative med, so take a puff or two 10-15 minutes before you exercise.

2. Some asthmatic runners may skip a warm-up—thinking that doing so will save their lung power for their race or workout—but, as it happens, getting your lungs working hard beforehand may actually help you avoid an attack. it usually takes about four to six hours before you have as bad a spasm again. The key is to warm up just hard enough to get a small spasm without sapping your energy. Roberts suggests running for a few minutes, then doing several short, hard pickups (bursts of faster-paced running).

3. Check when the pollen count is lowest, usually the morning or consider an indoor activity.

4. Most important, always carry your rescue inhaler and consider taking you cell phone with you just in case you get overwhelmed. Cover your nose and mouth during colder weather, to prevent lung irritation

5. Cool down properly. Stopping suddenly can trigger an attack.

6. Listen to your body, if you need to slow down or rest do it!

If you have asthma and want to start your running journey, be sure to talk to your doctor to get your are the right meds and discuss any changes or irregularities you maybe having from exercising. Finding the right "recipe" of meds for chronic asmtha sufferers takes time (it took me nearly a year to figure out what I needed). We tend to be our hardest critics, fitness is a journey to better health, don't get frustrated with your progress- you'll get there in your own time.

Here are the links of where I got my information.
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/running-asthma?cat=27321
http://www.livestrong.com/article/211277-how-to-run-with-asthma/
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=300078

Replies

• RandomMiranda
    Options
    Thanks, this is really helpful. My asthma rarely bothers me anymore now that I am in better shape, but that means that when allergies join the mix I get unexpectedly wheezy.
  • mormadu1
    Options
    Thanks! I am hoping once I get into better shape that my asthma will get better as well. Crossing my fingers and running!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that if i have a hard warm up of jumping rope, jumping jacks, dynamic stretching, etc, it'll make m feel tons better during the run, especially the first few miles.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
    As a severe asthmatic about to begin the Couch to 5k, these are great tidbits.

:flowerforyou:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you for sharing this. I've recently started running longer distances and have found the same- the first 20-30 minutes are the hardest, then after that my breathing seems to get a little easier.

I also find it helpful to run in areas where there is hardly any traffic. The pollution from the cars really aggravates me.
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    i find that if i have a hard warm up of jumping rope, jumping jacks, dynamic stretching, etc, it'll make m feel tons better during the run, especially the first few miles.

The first few miles?!? Good for you.

Thank you for sharing this. I need to make an appointment to get things under better control. I do notice running inside is better but I like being outside much more.