Fast Food

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    the salads at wendys, mcdonalds, and burger king are actually pretty good and healthy if your conservative with the dressing.

Cheese cake factory and applebees have a lower calorie menu where you can get a like a 500 or so cal meal. avoid the bread and drink water and that should be good, maybe a little fatty depending on what you get, but calorie wise pretty good.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You just have to really think about what you're ordering too. A grilled chicken sandwich is a staple at most fast food places, but ordering it without any mayo or other sauce can really save those calories.

I know several people that will opt for a kids meal at fast food lunches also, since the portion will already be smaller.

Good point! I do the Kid's meal a lot. Chipolte also has a Kid's meal.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the websites of the restaurants your coworkers frequent and making a list of options that fit your calorie goals. Almost every chain restaurant has a list of nutrition info on their site.

Good luck!

This is what I do! I plan my food choices ahead of time that way there are no suprises
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

I hate kid's meals. They just aren't filling, not even remotely. I'd rather eat nothing. If you have to resort to eating a kid's meal, I'd hope you are getting more substantial meals for lunch/dinner/snack...

At Chipotle, you can get a delicious burrito bowl for less than 600 calories, this is usually my choice! Subway isn't horrible either if you stick to a six inch sandwich that's simple.

Yes, you can eat healthy and lose weight while eating out, but you also can't eat out that frequently. Even the "good" fast food options aren't good. Yes it's easier and faster than making food. But losing weight means giving up convenience most of the time.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Life and convenience means I generally do have fast food about once a week. Here are my go-to's:

Subway: 6" egg white flatbread, toasted without cheese, I add green peppers, spinach and tomato. Other option there is roasted chicken salad, no cheese, with vinegar as dressing or the veggie sub on wheat.

Bojangles: Roasted chicken bites and green beans, or grilled chicken sandwich without mayo and green beans.

McDonalds: Fruit and Yogurt parfait without granola, and small regular hamburger, or grilled southwest chicken salad

Chipotle: chicken bowl - light cheese, tons of veggies

Wendys: Small chili and side salad without the croutons
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Panera Bread is my go-to for fast food.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I avoid this at all costs. If I do have to eat lunch out I go exclusively to subway and get a 6 inch. If find its much easier to bring your lunch.

I think this is bad advice. Are you going to avoid fast food for the rest of your life? Learning how to eat right and eat for a lifetime, doesn't include avoiding ANYTHING. If you don't like it, that's one thing, but to avoid it because you're "on a diet"? That's not a lifestyle change.

Edited for spelling mistake...

I agree with the last message. You WILL come to a point where fast food is your only way to go or STARVE. But I am still confused as to how the person that started this thread gave a disclaimer saying that she already knows that bringing her own lunch is best yet this person (first message) wants to reiterate that bringing your own lunch is best! OK..DUH!

Ok...so I am currently on WW and here are some of my favs:

McDonalds: 4 pc Mc Nugget happy meal, fish filet and side salad with balsamic dressing, maple oatmeal, 6 pc nugget and side salad with balsamic dressing, ceasar salad with grilled chicken with balsamic dressing (stay away from thier ceasar!).

Qdoba: tortilla soup, 1/2 naked burrito with light rice, chicken, black beans, pico, very light cheese, lettuce, craft 2 chicken tacos, kids quesadilla (very light cheese and sour cream).

Applebee's: any WW endorsed meal or Under 550 calorie meal

Jimmy Johns unwhiches and baked chips

Chilli's: 1/2 margarita grilled chicken

Pizza Hut: 1/2 Veggie Supreme Personal Pan

And these are just some. Someone referenced exercise4weightloss.com. It lists the WW Point Plus for a bunch of rest restaurants. I usually go with anything under 8 for a meal. And if it's over eight, I just cut the portion and eat the rest for lunch the next day!

Good Luck! And first it can be annoying figuring stuff out (especially when the cashier waiting for you) but then it becomes fun realizing you can eat your favs still ;-)
  • secretlobster
    Options
    You WILL come to a point where fast food is your only way to go or STARVE.

lol

is this serious
  • abentrup
    abentrup Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fast food is EVIL...period!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

lol

is this serious

I wonder the same thing. Are there truly places that don't have grocery stores that you can stop at for an orange and a sandwich at the deli?
  • Flawless_K
    Options

lol

is this serious

Ok...of course not literraly STARVE. But I'm confused as to how this person is asking for very simply advice and the majority of what she is getting is not what she asked for. I think she already knows home cooking is the best way to go!

But I guess in case she forgot, i'll reiterate: "I really don't eat fast food much...it's the devil....it's so bad for you...so much sodium...you'll never lose weight...you might throw up...you should cook everything a month in advance so you'll never have to go to those horrible fast food places ever again ;-)
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    I would never eat fast food unless I had literally no other option for eating. This is not a weight loss choice for the short term- it is a lifestyle decision.

Fast food is less healthy and more expensive. Bringing your own food is 100000% times a better choice.
  • Flawless_K
    Options

lol

is this serious

I wonder the same thing. Are there truly places that don't have grocery stores that you can stop at for an orange and a sandwich at the deli?

BORE....
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I would just pack my own lunch.
    Its fine on occasion, but even for someone who is very active and in good shape, you wouldn't typically eat it daily.

There are obviously some better options, like Chipotle, or something fairly fresh.
  • secretlobster
    Options

lol

is this serious

Ok...of course not literraly STARVE.

Yes... Of course not "literraly STARVE"... How could I possibly have interpreted it that way...

• secretlobster
    Options
    PS: Every fast food chain I've been to has had some version of a salad. If it's a choice between starving to death and fast food, why not just get some kind of salad?

If you're actually on death's doorstep I would recommend two double whoppers with extra cheese.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    I need some good fast food options. A lot of people at my work eat out a lot and it is easier and faster. I know it is better to bring lunch, but I think there are a lot of people out there that want to know the best fast food restaurants and the menu choices. Come on guys, you know you can eat out and still lose weight. It's about self control and making good choices.

Five guys, In and Out if you have one by you, shake shack, chipotle, pei wei

Be careful with Pei Wei. I had gotten the Chinese Chicken Salad once without dressing and realized later that my lunch order was TWO servings. What kind of stupid place serves you a lunch portion that is two portions to begin with? One that will make you fat and full of salt.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Most fast food places list the nutritional information for their food online - even give meal builders to make it easier for you to calculate an entire meal. I'm not sure why so many people demonize fast food... it's just food. It's not evil. It is incapable of evil, seeing as how it is inanimate...

Anyways, I often like to keep the rest of my day low fat if possible for the times I want fast food or to dine out at a restaurant, because honestly the worst thing about the food is usually the high fat and sodium content. Fast food can be terrible for you, yes, but most of it isn't nearly as bad as some people like to portray it. If you can't look up nutrition, go for a salad with light dressing and grilled chicken, skip the cheese too if you really want. There's little chance that you can go wrong doing that.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options

I hate kid's meals. They just aren't filling, not even remotely. I'd rather eat nothing. If you have to resort to eating a kid's meal, I'd hope you are getting more substantial meals for lunch/dinner/snack...

At Chipotle, you can get a delicious burrito bowl for less than 600 calories, this is usually my choice! Subway isn't horrible either if you stick to a six inch sandwich that's simple.

Yes, you can eat healthy and lose weight while eating out, but you also can't eat out that frequently. Even the "good" fast food options aren't good. Yes it's easier and faster than making food. But losing weight means giving up convenience most of the time.

Who is eating 600 calories at lunchtime? I want to know what exercise you're doing that allows you to afford that!!
    I checked Chipotle and selected a salad that I would want to order....yup, 600 calories. Double what I would normally eat for lunch.
    http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I hit fast food about 1-2 times a week. McDonalds and Panera have calories posted now. That makes it so much easier. Chipotle is great also and you can customize your order on their website so you know how many calories ahead of time.